Vah Per?

Vir Per?

Escudo?

Ogs? (Just kidding, we all know that there is no perique in OGS.) :wink:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I go with Vapor pronunciation. More palatable than VirPir. I read conflicting things in the OGS debate regarding Perique content.
It matters to me. I like to classify tobaccos and I can't put this in a straight Virginia or VaPer category. tobacco reviews acknowledges the unsettled nature.
My taste tells me it is a VaPer...
Pax

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I googled the question and was directed to the same article by Kevin.
The OGS label is incorrect. Fropm the article, the Orlik factory manager Troels explains it as follows; "I have talked to marketing concerning the incorrect information about burley in Red Orlik. It is an old translation error, which unfortunately has not been corrected, it should have read Perique instead of Burley.
So, yes OGS is a VaPer.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I googled the question and was directed to the same article by Kevin.
The OGS label is incorrect. Fropm the article, the Orlik factory manager Troels explains it as follows; "I have talked to marketing concerning the incorrect information about burley in Red Orlik. It is an old translation error, which unfortunately has not been corrected, it should have read Perique instead of Burley.
So, yes OGS is a VaPer.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Ok, really, I was joking about the whole OGS / perique debate. I was trying to be funny. I was only interested in how to pronounce VaPer. Really.
And, with or without perique, OGS is really great.

If there is any perique in OGS it cannot be tasted. Calling a VaPer is sort misleading to those that might be looking for a VaPer experience, IMO.

Besides, the same source says that Escudo and Dunhills Navy Delux Rolls are the exact same tobaccos, exact same process, and exact same production lines, just different labels, and there are people who still pay the higher prices for the Dunhill label.
Yep, VaPer rhymes with paper.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
You guys think this is bad, I recently found out it's pronounced La-ta-KI-a, not La-TA-ki-a. It changed my life more than the invention of boxer briefs.

If you are asking so that you can walk into a tobacconist and ask for a VaPer, just ask for a Virginia Perique blend, because if they are not hip to the jargon, they may think that you are looking for a iVape thingy. One forum member here had been suggested to get some LBF and LNF, but when he walked into the Briary and asked for "LBF and LNF" Skip had no idea what he was talking about. These are forum and social medium terms for the most part. 99% of the guys in the B&M are not going to be hip to this, because they live in the real world, ha ha. Unless you visit a B&M that has someone active on a forum, which is rare, then you'll have to actually say what it is that you are looking for. I know that here in Birmingham, out of the hundreds of pipe men and pipe businesses, none of them go to forums, absolutely none. They get their tobacco socialization setting in a lounge talking with real people, smoking real pipes, as most of us old fashion folks do.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
So we need a translating dictionary from b and m to forum. We also need a lesson on there their lose and loose. Shel

framitz, there used to be a link in the upper right hand side of the forum with the shortened terms we use in the forums. I don't know where it is now. But of someone uses a shortcut that you aren't familiar with, ask. No one actually says, OGS or LBF anymore than they say LOL. Well, some might, but then there's no accounting for ignorance.

And preach on, but for the most part, people can't even use their native language anymore.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
If you are asking so that you can walk into a tobacconist and ask for a VaPer, just ask for a Virginia Perique blend, because if they are not hip to the jargon, they may think that you are looking for a iVape thingy.
No, I was actually looking for a way to pronounce it in my head when reading the forums.
Vaypor it is.
Thank you, gentlemen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd only seen VaPer in writing, so I settled on what may be my own pronunciation, veah-per, veah rhyming with yeah. I'm not recommending it. Other pipe smokers might not know what I was saying if I were talking. It just settled into my head that way. That's the trouble with learning anything on your own. For some reason, I had Latakia right, maybe from the local pipe shop proprietor.

Status
Not open for further replies.