How do you manage your bowl with a pre-carb?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Most, well all of my pipes had some type of pre carb coating inside the bowl. Now, a cake has begun to build up in some of them and I'm wondering, are you supposed to build it or is that the purpose of the pre carb coating? I generally take a paper towel and twist it in the bowl after each smoke which keeps the cake to a minimum. The reason I noticed was I smoked a cheap aro and the next day I did the paper towel thing and it just started gumming up and peeling right off. Never seen that before.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I wouldnt be too aggresive on wiping out your cake, pre carb is to help you build a cake easier, not replace it. You still want to build a cake, its better to have a decent one. If your going to wipe out the bowl, fold a pipe cleaner in half and just run the loop on the inside to remove any excess moisture and ash. Cakes are a good thing.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree with jchaplick on ALMOST everything; cake is good, the precarbed bowl helps build the cake, not replace it.
But I think you're doing the right thing by doing the "paper towel twist" after every smoke, ESPECIALLY after smoking a "cheap aromatic". The cake will build, there's no need to rush, and the gunk left behind cheap aromatics isn't good for ANYTHING.
Now if I could only talk you out of smoking cheap aromatics...

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
@ bigvan. I couldn't resist, it was free from a friend. :roll: It tasted good, just left my pipe a gunky mess! Maybe we need to reconsider our friendship. How dare he!
Edit: Fixed your emoticon. Just some FYI... make sure you put a space after you place your emoticon.

I like to put a space in front and following each emoticon just to be on the safe side. L

:D :clap: :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a few pipes that had pre-carbonized bowls when I bought them.

I don't even remember which ones they are.

I'd just treat them like you would any other pipe.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Man I am apparently computer illiterate. At least I am learning how to use this forum along with learning how to use and care for a pipe. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.