PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I have a few bulk tobaccos that are OK but nothing special(Cherokee and couple of others of about the same quality). I'd like to try flavoring them to see if I can move them up a notch or two on my "Like" scale, but I don't know how to go about that. I bought a few food flavoring extracts today, and I'd like to try some different combinations of flavors that I think might work, and I'd really appreciate some advice on how to flavor tobacco.
(BTW, I also have a nice collection of really good tobaccos, but I thought I'd try some of the bargain brands to see how they compare. Like I said, they're OK, but they don't compare to the luxury brands.)

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I've never tried flavoring any of my tobaccos so I can't help with that. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Go to PipesandCigars.com. They have a section called the fusion lab..you can purchase flavorings for your tobacco.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I am experimenting with this myself. So far what works is whiskey. I have also tried maple syrup, its turning out ok, but I still need to refine it. I'll update when I have better information. When I get some extra $ I am going to try the fusion lab, so I would try that as well.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i raid wifes spice cuboard i use vanila extract on a tobacco like mixture(scottish blend) fill the bowl with baccy and add a drop of vanilla on the edge. vanila taste comes tru like baking. Sometimes i will oven dry some mint leaves, crush em up an mix em in the baccy. Wifes cuboard is an experimental lab

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
No amount of flavoring can make a mediocre tobacco into a good tobacco.
Keep in mind that burning something soaked in scotch (for example) will not necessarily "taste" like scotch. Why not just drink a nice scotch while you're smoking your tobacco? Enjoy the flavors as they were meant to be enjoyed.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I have to disagree with the statement "Enjoy the flavors the way the meant to be enjoyed" because almost all tobacco has some sort of flavoring added to it. Tobacco taste the way it does because someone made it taste that way by experimenting with "the way it should be." I think there would be a lot less pipe smokers if we all just smoked straight tobacco. No offense Bigvan, just disagree.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
tpicking asked for advice on flavoring tobacco. My advice was to not do it, but to try getting more enjoyment by pairing it with a drink instead of MIXING it with a drink.
If you need to add "after market" flavors to the tobacco because you don't like the taste, maybe smoking isn't for you.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I bought a 2 oz spray bottle from the dollar store.

Filled it with Christian Bros. Brandy.

A couple of light spritzes over a couple of bowls worth of 1Q... Let dry.

Mmmmmm good stuff.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I think you missed my point. Either way what you smoke is preference and I respectfully disagree with the idea that the way tobacco comes in a tin or pouch is the way you should smoke it and that because I may want something different that I should not smoke at all. I just don't believe that there is a way that smoking a pipe is "meant" to be other than the one you decide for yourself. Sorry to highjack the thread, I will say nothing more unless it is advice on flavoring.

Reactions: KaseyWest

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
apparently if i follow some's advice in this tread then i guess i shouldn't be smokin! Wow what an obnoxious comment to make on here. One of my fav things to do is add flavouring to plain tobacco. The flavour choices here in rural Nova Scotia is limited so iv'e experimented and made some over the yrs that i liked very much. In future, if one is going to shoot down someone else's, then maybe ya better not comment at all

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
No offense meant, nsfisher. Opinions were solicited and I offered mine.
Anyway, I wrote "maybe"... which implies "maybe not". Those who know me will tell you that I don't let the possibility of being wrong prevent me from stating an opinion. But that's the whole point of discourse, isn't it?
Cheers!

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Why not just jar it for a while, maybe mix them together into a kinda randoms-jar? Or just keep them straight, maybe you'll like them better in a few...

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
bigvan;
hmmm me thinks me was a bit too quick on the trigger there bigvan, u r right of course, opinions were asked and given. Please strike my previous comment from the record and accept apologies

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
No amount of flavoring can make a mediocre tobacco into a good tobacco.
+1

I have a few bulk tobaccos that are OK but nothing special(Cherokee and couple of others of about the same quality)
This is your problem. I don't care what it says on the bag, Cherokee is not pipe tobacco. It is RYO cigarette tobacco. Pitch it and consider it a lesson from the school of hard knocks. You can have good smokes without spending a fortune, but if it's $10 a pound, it's gonna be crap.
almost all tobacco has some sort of flavoring added to it.
That's not so. Many latakia blends, as well as many Virginia or burley blends have no flavorings added at all. The flavors come from the blender's art. Most of the blends sitting on my shelf, as well as those waiting to be opened, are not flavored at all. :puffy:

smokinggun

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2011
I think this is a great topic, I must admit although not for everyone I really enjoy vanilla tabacco. Lately I have found cigarettes called Black Devil special blend and they are my favorite. I guess they are a hit with the kiddies but I don't care about their trend a good smoke is a good smoke, I was skeptical at first when I bought them but was very wrong to be. There was only one other cigarette in the world I liked as much as these and they were called Springwaters. I am only a occasional cigarette smoker and full time pipe smoker but I would LOVE to have just this tobacco for all the time pipe and roll your own. I am always on the hunt for vanilla tobaccos.
I have not tried their other flavors but I hear they are horrid and chemical tasting.

Personally I think their special blend is the bees knees!
I'd love to make my own tobacco with the same scent/taste, I will have to try the vanilla extract.

Status
Not open for further replies.