Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

How do you flavor tobacco??

(31 posts)
  1. tpicking

tpicking

Login to Send PM

I have a few bulk tobaccos that are OK but nothing special(Cherokee and couple of others of about the same quality). I'd like to try flavoring them to see if I can move them up a notch or two on my "Like" scale, but I don't know how to go about that. I bought a few food flavoring extracts today, and I'd like to try some different combinations of flavors that I think might work, and I'd really appreciate some advice on how to flavor tobacco.

(BTW, I also have a nice collection of really good tobaccos, but I thought I'd try some of the bargain brands to see how they compare. Like I said, they're OK, but they don't compare to the luxury brands.)

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never tried flavoring any of my tobaccos so I can't help with that. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ontario

ontario

Login to Send PM

Spiced Rum maybe.

so many to try
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. terry

terry

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go to PipesandCigars.com. They have a section called the fusion lab..you can purchase flavorings for your tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am experimenting with this myself. So far what works is whiskey. I have also tried maple syrup, its turning out ok, but I still need to refine it. I'll update when I have better information. When I get some extra $ I am going to try the fusion lab, so I would try that as well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Baskerville posted something a while back that I just gave a try with about 4 oz or so of 1Q.

Poured about a shot glass full of my favorite spirit, placed in a tupperware with said bacy, sealed lid and let the alcohol evaporate.

I used Southern Comfort, and don't think it was that bad of experiment (probably not the best choice of blend to do it with tho), but I had a definite hint of the SoCo.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i raid wifes spice cuboard i use vanila extract on a tobacco like mixture(scottish blend) fill the bowl with baccy and add a drop of vanilla on the edge. vanila taste comes tru like baking. Sometimes i will oven dry some mint leaves, crush em up an mix em in the baccy. Wifes cuboard is an experimental lab

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nope, have never tried to flavor my tobacco. Have never had a reason.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No amount of flavoring can make a mediocre tobacco into a good tobacco.

Keep in mind that burning something soaked in scotch (for example) will not necessarily "taste" like scotch. Why not just drink a nice scotch while you're smoking your tobacco? Enjoy the flavors as they were meant to be enjoyed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Big an
    +1 on that !

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to disagree with the statement "Enjoy the flavors the way the meant to be enjoyed" because almost all tobacco has some sort of flavoring added to it. Tobacco taste the way it does because someone made it taste that way by experimenting with "the way it should be." I think there would be a lot less pipe smokers if we all just smoked straight tobacco. No offense Bigvan, just disagree.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tpicking asked for advice on flavoring tobacco. My advice was to not do it, but to try getting more enjoyment by pairing it with a drink instead of MIXING it with a drink.

If you need to add "after market" flavors to the tobacco because you don't like the taste, maybe smoking isn't for you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

I bought a 2 oz spray bottle from the dollar store.
    Filled it with Christian Bros. Brandy.
    A couple of light spritzes over a couple of bowls worth of 1Q... Let dry.
    Mmmmmm good stuff.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you missed my point. Either way what you smoke is preference and I respectfully disagree with the idea that the way tobacco comes in a tin or pouch is the way you should smoke it and that because I may want something different that I should not smoke at all. I just don't believe that there is a way that smoking a pipe is "meant" to be other than the one you decide for yourself. Sorry to highjack the thread, I will say nothing more unless it is advice on flavoring.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

apparently if i follow some's advice in this tread then i guess i shouldn't be smokin! Wow what an obnoxious comment to make on here. One of my fav things to do is add flavouring to plain tobacco. The flavour choices here in rural Nova Scotia is limited so iv'e experimented and made some over the yrs that i liked very much. In future, if one is going to shoot down someone else's, then maybe ya better not comment at all

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No offense meant, nsfisher. Opinions were solicited and I offered mine.

Anyway, I wrote "maybe"... which implies "maybe not". Those who know me will tell you that I don't let the possibility of being wrong prevent me from stating an opinion. But that's the whole point of discourse, isn't it?

Cheers!

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Login to Send PM

Why not just jar it for a while, maybe mix them together into a kinda randoms-jar? Or just keep them straight, maybe you'll like them better in a few...

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Baskerville posted something a while back that I just gave a try with about 4 oz or so of 1Q.

Haha I had almost forgotten the Eggnog/151 Rum experiment! I will have to dig that out for a Christmas smoke!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

bigvan;

hmmm me thinks me was a bit too quick on the trigger there bigvan, u r right of course, opinions were asked and given. Please strike my previous comment from the record and accept apologies

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No worries, ns.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No amount of flavoring can make a mediocre tobacco into a good tobacco.

+1

I have a few bulk tobaccos that are OK but nothing special(Cherokee and couple of others of about the same quality)

This is your problem. I don't care what it says on the bag, Cherokee is not pipe tobacco. It is RYO cigarette tobacco. Pitch it and consider it a lesson from the school of hard knocks. You can have good smokes without spending a fortune, but if it's $10 a pound, it's gonna be crap.

almost all tobacco has some sort of flavoring added to it.

That's not so. Many latakia blends, as well as many Virginia or burley blends have no flavorings added at all. The flavors come from the blender's art. Most of the blends sitting on my shelf, as well as those waiting to be opened, are not flavored at all.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. smokinggun

smokinggun

Login to Send PM

I think this is a great topic, I must admit although not for everyone I really enjoy vanilla tabacco. Lately I have found cigarettes called Black Devil special blend and they are my favorite. I guess they are a hit with the kiddies but I don't care about their trend a good smoke is a good smoke, I was skeptical at first when I bought them but was very wrong to be. There was only one other cigarette in the world I liked as much as these and they were called Springwaters. I am only a occasional cigarette smoker and full time pipe smoker but I would LOVE to have just this tobacco for all the time pipe and roll your own. I am always on the hunt for vanilla tobaccos.

I have not tried their other flavors but I hear they are horrid and chemical tasting.
    Personally I think their special blend is the bees knees!

I'd love to make my own tobacco with the same scent/taste, I will have to try the vanilla extract.

The following link is a peak inside my brain:
    http://blackpoisonousrivers.tumblr.com/
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy vanilla tabacco

Have you tried MacBaren's Vanilla Cream? Best i have found for vanilla flavor - and I am not a big aromatic guy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. smokinggun

smokinggun

Login to Send PM

No I haven't had the chance to get some but I have heard great things about it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

sometimes i like to dry some pipe tobac, then fill a humitube with whiskey. drop the tube into the dried tobac for rehydration.

happy new year to all.

mike.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are actually some great videos on this site that show commercial-scale production of pipe tobacco; the methods there are only a scaled-up version of Lawrence's spray bottle method--a big drum of tobacco is sprayed with a mist of flavoring, consisting of sugarwaters, alcohols, and extracts like vanilla, liquorice, etc. Stick with additives that are food grade, and post any recipes that ring your bell!

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. kennerth

kennerth

Login to Send PM

I have used rum to reconstitute dried out SWR with good result.

The Best Balkan blend I have ever had is my own mix of 50% Balkan Texas and 50% Finck's Black Vanilla. I think we can be our own best blending and flavoring genius, and like cooking, we get to consume our success as well as our mistakes.

Good luck with the grand experiment!

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

finitud

Login to Send PM

A while ago I had some of the Classic English blend that Segar&Snuff in Covent Garden sells, that went a bit dry.

I decided to try something different to remoisturize it, so I put it in a jar, sprinkled about three drops of Talisker on it, mixed it as good as I could, and left it in the jar for a few days, shaking the jar every now and then. Then I had to leave the jar opened for another day or so for the alcohol to evaporate, and now I have a nice Classic English with a delicate hint of whiskey.

I know, sprinkling drops on the tobacco is not optimal. There was a lump of tobacco that had most of the "in your face" flavour, whereas the rest of the jar only has a hint. Next time I would try spraying the flavouring, if I do this again. But it definitely can be done, and it definitely works!

Posted 7 months ago #
  29. pylorns

pylorns

Login to Send PM

Can you still find the flavorings on pipesandcigars, I can't..

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

Actually, we never offered flavorings on the site. We offered a variety of flavored tobaccos.

Russ

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. pylorns

pylorns

Login to Send PM

so fusion lab was just other tobacco?

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cuchulain, jiminks, blueeyedogre, nurseman, ssjones, anglesey, fadingdaylight, judd, woodsroad, captainsousie, halfy, pruss, 2smoke, datascalabash, salmonfisher, cosmicfolklore, redheadedsmoker, ruger414, stbruno70, portascat, carytobacco, goldsm, coalsmoke