PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I recently bought an estate pipe with a lucite stem. The stem has a tiny hole probably from clenching. Is there any way to repair it?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I should have known better. :D

IMG_9420.jpg

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
iirc you can get it in a range of colours, i read somewhere that you can colour the clear stuff by sanding a bit of the stem somewhere not normally seen. Where the stem enters the pipe and mix that in.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Super glue is what to use. It is safe for field emergency medical use by the US military, so it should be safe to put in your mouth. It's also clear. Add a drop at a time to build up the indention. Sand smooth with some 2000 grit wet paper (or micromesh) and buff with some plastic polish. You'll never see the hole.
More detail here. In this case, Steve blends in some black stem filings to match to the black vulcanite. Pretty slick, and easy:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/stem-repair-and-a-makeover-on-a-bbb-bulldog/

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
In addition to what Al stated, put a pipe cleaner through the draft so nothing seeps through--just to be on the safe side. This isn't due to any harmful effect by the dried glue: it's to prevent your air draft from getting glued shut.
Yes, I use superglue for some of my repairs. It is safe, reliable, and the fact that it is clear is a big plus.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I don't think it really matters; most are made of the same compound. Avoid the $1 bargain stuff you can buy at places like Dollar Tree. Personally, I use Gorilla Super Glue (from the makers of Gorilla Glue).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nah, just don't get the gel, plain old Superglue at CVS, etc.

They do make a black superglue, luthiers use it for guitar making/repair. I've been meaning to order a tube of that color.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice thread- very good to know. Good luck photoman - hope you'll let us see how it came out. :puffpipe:

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Pman - I have fixed several such holes in lucite and vulcanite. I use super glue. For my restore kit, I go to the dollar stores and get 3 packs of superglue, both regular and gel. I like those for the price and storage. If you open a new bottle of glue, even the best brands dry up after time. My way yo spend 33 cents and the rest is always fresh.
For your repair, the hold is small enough to use the one drop of the gel glue. Let it set overnight. the hole then sealed, I would add some drops of the thin glue to just above level. Let dry overnight. I use disposable emery boards to smooth it out, followed by sandpaper up to 1500 grit.
If a stem hole is to large to hold a drop of the gel glue, I fold wax paper small enough to back the hole. If hasn't ever stuck to the paper for me, but if it did, it is a food grade material. If I have concerns about the inside of the repair being to rough, I use micro-files to smooth it out if bristle pipe cleaners don't do the jobs.
Good luck!

pilgrim

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
What about one that's more than a hole? what if a 1/2" piece of material is missing? vulcanized rubber is still rubber, yeah? could i form the bit up with some of the liquid rubber i've seen somewhere? jb weld? what? thanks

Jun 4, 2014
You may be able to square off the stem and reshape it making a new button. JD is right some pictures would help.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about5586.html

http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about6661.html

http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about1680.html

Status
Not open for further replies.