PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I'm working on an estate pipe and the stem will pass a cleaner only with difficulty. Upon inspection it has been clenched on and compressed right in front of the "rim" right at the end of the mouthpiece. Makes sense since the rim is so big and hard that I clench on the same place. What is the best way to fix this?

davek

Mar 20, 2014
OK, using the proper terminology might help. It would be really hard to see in a picture so I will use this one. It is compressed right in front of the lip (number nine). The number eight is actually pointing right to the spot. It's kind of subtle, but there once you look closely. It probably didn't pass a cleaner to well to begin with.
Tobacco_pipe_parts.svg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tobacco_pipe_parts.svg#/media/File:Tobacco_pipe_parts.svg

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Very carefully applied heat will soften the button area and allow you work that kink out. Have you heated a stem before?
No. What's the best way? Do I then shove something in the stem to open it up, or press from the sides?

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Do you have any advice on how to "very slowly" heat the stem? I have tried alcohol lamp, candle, heat gun etc. I find that I either lose my patience Or burn it!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
First, develop patience or send the pipe for repair or replacement of the bit. I use a heat gun and a round, wooden toothpick. Turn on the gun, set it on the bench and bring the bit to the heat source, turning it so that it heats on all sides. Not knowing your heat source, apply heat for a couple of seconds and try to reshape. Not malleable? Apply more heat. Keep heating and trying to shape until you can. That's the best I can tell you. It's an art form not a science! Especially the first time you attempt it.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Warren is right. It is all about patience. I use a candle and it works, but it takes a bit longer. Vulcanite has a fairly wide temperature range where it is soft before it burns. Acrylic is a bit trickier it goes from soft to burnt fairly quickly. You can also use boiling water.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I am a RANK amateur, but steam worked for me when I had to work on a couple of lose tenons. It does take a while to get to a point where it moves anywhere.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Vulcanite stems will get soft 158-176 degrees depending on sulfur content. Boiling water is 212. Microwave some water till just boiling, then dip stem. I use watch micro screwdrivers that will fit into the bit slot and gently ease the pinched off area. Sometimes the heat alone will somewhat fix it as vulcanite has shape memory and can spring back somewhat, but a little coaxing usually helps. This procedure also works on MM cob stems. I've never needed to do it with acrylic stems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonite

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Just partially fixed the stem I was talkin' 'bout in the OP using boiling water. The key for me was to boil water and pull up a chair to the stove so I could play. Rigged it up so I could lean the end in the boiling water and let it sit. It takes a little bit to soften Vulcanite but you don't want too much. Try a count of 5, try a count of 10, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.