PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Do you focus on brands or do you go for blends regardless of brand? I focus on brands. I began with Dunhill and now am moving into Captain Earle's and Cornell & Diehl. Latakia based blends are what I'm trying.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have mostly tried similar blends across brands and have found some brands I don't care for.
As an exception I have tried many McConnell blends, which I think are highly underrated.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I go for Latakia based blends as well. I guess I go for blends regardless of brand for the most part. I've been through a number of the big name lat blends and now am going through the ones from smaller blenders, to further explore the lat genre. When I took up the pipe I stuck pretty much with Dunhill, Peterson and McClelland but lately I've been expanding my horizons with the same style blends from different blenders.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I tend to go the opposite direction. When I first tried OGS, it made me want to try out a whole bunch of other VaPers, regardless of brand. I think it paid off, too. When I fell in love with Lat heavy Dunhills, it pushed me to explore further. I discovered Star of the East, which has become an enduring favorite for me.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I sampled somewhat randomly at first till I found one I really liked. I then searched on the tobacco reviews for others who like what I did and for the same reasons I liked it. Then it was a matter of following what those people liked. This has proven to be quite successful. Every once and a while I'll randomly sample and not like it, but when I follow the reviews it works every time. Find those of a similar taste and smoke what they do.

When I began to get into astrophotography, picking out my equipment was hard. There aren't any telescope stores around nor could I find other astrophotographers locally. Any mistakes are expensive for its very seriously expensive equipment. I ended up seeking out the photos I wished I could take and learned which equipment they used and bought that. It's worked out well for both smoking pipes and astrophotography ;)

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I explore by brand and also by ingredients/cut/cure, and recommendation. I have written off whole brands due to not liking something about their casing, this is good for narrowing down the selection by a margin... its fun exploring though.
Isaac

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The brands for which a sole blender is responsible are few and far between. As a result I try to identify qualities I appreciate and explore within that domain. For example, I found early on that I am very sensitive to chemical additives. I try to limit my pool to blends that are either known to be free or highly likely to have received minimal chemical enhancement after harvesting. Blends that come from England are my natural defaults.
That said, when a new blend stands out to me, I definitely take a look at what else they have to offer. When I first tried Butera's Golden Cake, I was blown away and that led to an investigation of both Butera and McClellands.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First trial and error; soon, reading up and perusing shops and sites and reading descriptions and reviews; then exploring within brands that seem to specialize in particular kinds of blends.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I use this forum and tobaccoreviews. For example, I know I like VaPers, so I take advice here and also go to the reviews site and select blend type: VaPers, minimum reviews: 100 Then I sort by rating.
That got me the following in rank order:
1) Reiner Long Golden Flake

2) Escudo Navy Deluxe

3) Rattray Old Gowrie

4) Solani 633

5) SG St Jame Flake

7) H&H Anniversary Kake

10) Rattray Hal O' the Wynd

12) Orlik Golden Sliced

15) GL Pease Haddo's Delight

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I look more to blends than brands, and lots of good methods for exploring noted.
But I am also starting my second Tobacco Crawl, which I'd heartily recommend. Even though it's started, 4noggins ships very fast, and you can be up to speed in no time.
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I read reviews, then make a decision based on that, I then explore my tobacco further by smoking it in a pipe :)
The only blend I've gotten so far based on using this method I really don't enjoy is C&D's epiphany. Overall this method has been successful to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.