How do you control the case of the TAD/PAD?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I've got a bad case of the TAD/PAD right now. Looking at a Savinelli 320 and some tobaccos I'd like to try while I'm bored at work. Filled up an online cart and am really trying to control myself from clicking that 'place order' button. Haha. Darn the case of the TAD/PAD!! Money is not an issue. It's just I'm finding myself asking myself "do you really need another pipe? do you really need more tobacco to smoke on top of all that you already have??....do you???"
How do you guys control yourselves? Or should I just plain and simple give in to it?

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I try to restrict my pipe buying to seconds that I find in antique stores, so I am saving myself some money there. That means there's more for tobacco. I TRY to limit my tobacco purchases to times where there is a good sale going on, or I have found some money I didn't know I had, or where say, maybe, my electric bill came in a lot lower than the previous month, etc. I at least try to reasonably justify my purchase based on something other than vaporware, but even that CAN get stretched a little. It's hard, there's no way around it. If you're running a tight budget, it is extremely hard to be patient.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I seem to do pretty well with TAD, tempted though I am by all the intriguing blends reviewed

and described everywhere. I just go look at my various unopened tins, then at my various

pouches, jars, ziplocks, etc., and though I occasionally order tobacco, it isn't a compulsion.
A little more trouble with PAD. How I can look at my racks and want a new pipe is an enduring

mystery. It does help to smoke a pipe I haven't smoked in months, almost like shopping at home.

It helps to get busy and polish and otherwise clean as many pipes as time will permit. It helps to

stay away from retailers, brick and mortar and online. But there are always lingering images of

great deals on great pipes. There's one at the local shop, and a really beautifully shaped low-end

pipe online, not to mention the ones offered on Forums. Then my wife gave me a 42 slot cabinet

for Christmas which looks like it could use more residents. So it goes. I think the antique store

routine is a good one.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Eric: Haha! Seems like a thorough and quite simple solution to all TAD/PAD problems!
David: I like that bit about pipe buying in antique stores. I've been on the hunt for pipes around the lot of antique stores in my local area, but haven't found a thing yet. The closest I've gotten was this antique Chinese store and they had some of those long Chinese pipes with a small bowl.
Peck: I must learn your ways!
mso: Yeah, when I'm at home, I get myself to look at my tins/jars and tell myself, "you have all this and you want more?" It helps........a little.
pylorns: Well said. The problem here is the extra cash. It's almost like it's taunting me.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Step One: Cancel your internet, bury your smart phone (after altering it with a large hammer), burn down any local B+M's within a hundred miles of your location.

Step Two: Move to an empty tundra up need somewhere like Runamucluk or Howdifukup in the Yukon tundra where you can't even find a tree that could possible be carved into a pipe and inhabited by people that have never heard of Burley, Latakia, or Perique and split their time between baby seal tossing and whale blubber chewing contests.

Step Three:...... And this is easily the hardest step of all...... Quit Smoking A Pipe.
If you do not follow these steps exactly as I have laid them out for you then you have ZERO CHANCE of ever curbing you TAD/PAD habits. May God have mercy on you.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Peck has the best TAD control of anyone here. So many times we've heard him say "I could buy hundreds of pounds of high grade tobacco.....but I'll just stick with mixture 79"

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
What peck was trying to say there is that once you reach the point you have a pipe for almost everyday of the year and a Cellar of tobacco that will last you three of your life times then the TAD/PAD becomes manageable. Peck is amongst the few to reach Stage 3 padtadisum and survive the side effects IE bloody ears from constant spousal yelling, aching back and mussels from the proverbial dog house. We all wish we can overcome our pad tad in such a valiant fashion. We are proud of you Peck.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You could found a new 12 step program, PAA.
The best I could do was to slow down the pace. At the height of my madness I was probably buying a pipe a week. Every pipe was the "last one". Now the pace is a pipe every couple of months, if that. While I look at a lot of pipes, there has be be something really special for me to pull the trigger, because I already have a lot of fine pipes. And since special seems to be accompanied by high price, my native parsimonious nature provides the brakes. There may be a couple more "museum pieces" in the future from the collector I met a couple of weeks ago.
Instead, I'm focusing more on testing tobaccos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My most expensive pipe I bought when I placed a substantial piece of writing and was paid for it. PAD

can be a good motivator. I try to link purchases to effort, without getting uptight about it. That pipe

will always be my nine-pages-in-an-anthology pipe.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Best. Tobacco. Ever.
I will pick some up this week and I will cellar it to be my celebratory smoke for when I solve the problems in the middle east while simultaneously banishing tongue bite from the face of the earth. Thank you Peck for the

Best. Recommendation. Ever.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Here's what I've done so far:
-cancelled all the newsletter/e-mails from online retailers

-Take a thorough look at my cellar and pipe rack every once in awhile (especially when I'm tempted to get more)

-Focus on enjoying what I already have. I have so many "open" jars/tins already, and many I have not even tried yet. I have pipes that haven't been smoked in weeks, as I only smoke a few bowls a week.
-There are several applications out there that help you manage your time. I have:

-LeechBlock for Mozilla Firefox

-StayFocusd for Google Chrome

-RescueTime as a windows application
They are all free, I have not had a problem on my computer yet. You can set the internet applications/add-ons to block certain sites during certain hours of the day, and limit amount of time spent on those sites. I got it to reduce the amount of time I spend on Facebook, but I'm soon planning on adding pipe sites too.
I've tried to write this a few ways, but here goes: I think it's important to spend more time with your hands on a pipe, than with your hands on a keyboard talking or looking at pipes/tobacco. It's easy to get caught up in it all. Don't get me wrong, many of the forum members here have offered me great advice and help, and I'm very happy to be a part of this community. But when you start spending hours and hours a day on pipe sites, it takes alot of time away from other things. One could argue that you could smoke a pipe while doing all this, but I can't. And nothing against anyone else who does, but I don't think I would enjoy my pipe nearly as much if I was staring at a computer screen. The great part of this hobby/lifestyle is the importance of self-discovery, even if it's discovering something about your own pipe-smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.