PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekz

Lurker
Apr 28, 2015
Okay. So I'm a total newb with this pipe thing. I bought a Dr. Grabow Royal Duke pipe, pipe cleaners, pipe filters, 4 different brands of pipe tobacco, and a very strange tool that looks like a pocket knife that has a blunt metal end.

But I think the pipe stem has to be removed to install a filter and I don't know how to do that. It's not an expensive pipe but I don't wanna break it.
Atm, all I know is that the bowl has to be only half full for the 1st few weeks. And for the next four weeks, I need to alternate between half and full bowls to provide a carbon layer as thin as a dime. But hey, that's all I know at this point.

So, a few things I need to learn about:
1. Do I need to clean the pipe first and how is that done?

2. How to put the filter in the pipe.

3. How often should I clean the pipe?

4. Do I need any special chemicals to clean it with?
I really need help with this and, trust me, I totally do appreciate any help anyone can offer.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome derekz! The pipe's filter is definitely within stem and shank and the pipe comes apart for access and for cleaning.

Holding the pipe's bowl in one hand and the stem toward the center where it's strongest, firmly twist the stem like it was a screw, in one direction, not back and forth...and gently pull as you twist.

Most of us eschew the filters, but they can smooth out your first couple of bowls.

Cleaning is never done with chemicals. Alcohol or spirits with cotton swabs for inner shank cleaning after many smokes..but generally a pass from stem to bowl with a cleaner and a swipe of the inside with a tissue to get the ash out...I always blow out the stem to the bowl before filling my pipes...just to be sure it's clear.

I think the carbon layer will work itself out and that it's not a big deal.

I think that you should clean a pipe with spirits on the inside of the airways before you ever smoke it the first time, and also wipe it down as a disinfectant on the outside of the stem...after that it's up to you how often to get after it.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Grab the stem and shank with one hand on each, pull and rotate slightly to disassemble the pipe. I think I read on here that putting it awhile in the freezer would help the wood shrink a bit so it'll go apart easier. My first pipe was very hard to disassemble so I smoked it once without filter and then it came apart easy enough.
I clean my pipe, disassembled, after every smoke by running a couple pipe cleaners through it .wait until its cool before you start yanking it!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
+1 on what alexnorth says! I forgot to mention that part. It works within a minute or so...and makes a big difference.

I think I read on here that putting it awhile in the freezer would help the wood shrink a bit so it'll go apart easier.

Just be sure to allow the pipe to return to room temp before you smoke it. Just sayin that might be a good idea.

derekz

Lurker
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks for the welcome! =)

You guyz are awesome.

Okay. So I got the stem off and it was easier than I thought and I cleaned up the pipe. I haven't tried smoking yet but that can be later because breakfast, then gotta bounce so I'm not late.

And thanks again! Your answers were a huge help.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Check out Kel's video series. Very informative!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMdq096WrXY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the cleaning question, clean your pipe after every smoking session. I scoop out the tobacco ash and any remaining leaf (dottle); blow out loose debris into an ashtray; wipe out the bowl with a remnant of paper towel or tissue (some don't do this in order to build cake, but I just go with a thin carbon layer and no cake); clean out the stem and shank with a pipe cleaner; replace the filter if you are using one (most on Forums don't use filters, FYI); and polish up the pipe with a polishing cloth, bandana, or rag. No chemicals or cleaners needed. Every so often you will want to do a more thorough cleaning, but you can get those instructions later. Others will have different rituals, so pick and choose. But it's wise to clean after every smoking session.

derekz

Lurker
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks for more info about pipe smoking! :) I watched a few of the Kel vids and bookmarked on Youtube.

Btw I used whiskey to clean the pipe.

Okay so I tried smoking a half bowl of tobacco called "Daughters & Ryan Windsail Platinum". It was really strong and makes me cough a little but hey, I like that taste. Still gonna try more tobaccos. Theres so many cool looking brands out there.

If anyone knows a really epic tobacco, lmk. Thanks!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
derekz-
Are you coughing because you are inhaling? Generally, most here don't inhale, and a pipe really isn't meant to be inhaled.
Welcome!

derekz

Lurker
Apr 28, 2015
@ Tarak:

I wasn't trying to inhale the smoke. It's only that the smoke got too close to my windpipe. So maybe I just need more practice puffing smoke. No way I wanna try inhaling smoke since even campfire smoke makes me cough.

Thanks for the welcome! :)
@ Northernneil:

Cool and bookmarked! That's a ton of tobaccos to try!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only two D&R blends I tried were both good: Rimboché SJ and Two Timer Gold. But they seem like transitions from cigarette smoke, and lacked the complexity and character of most pipe blends. As for suggestions, try sampling from the Peterson (of Dublin) line of tobaccos. I really haven't had a bad one from them yet.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. You have received a lot of great information. The only thing I will add is to try and read or watch everything you can related to pipes and tobacco. There is a pretty good sized learning curve with pipes so take your time, don't get frustrated and please do not be afraid to ask questions. There is no such thing as a stupid question when pipe and tobacco are concerned. Good luck and happy puffing.

Mar 1, 2014
It took me a few weeks (maybe a dozen bowls) to develop the reflexes to keep the air in my mouth separated from my throat while puffing.
I've been steadily paying less and less attention to packing lately, though I haven't done a flake in a while.

As long as it's in the bowl and burning you're doing it right. If it's in the bowl and not burning use more fire (no-one will cry about dark rims on a Grabow, I use a bic as it throws the flame reasonably well). If it's outside the bowl and burning you're definitely doing it wrong (I make a funny!).

I've also been increasing my lighting time. Trying to get the whole thing going all at once isn't worth it, if I had a machine that could suck on the pipe for me that would be great, but if it's my mouth the smoke is being drawn into I'm not going to puff like a freight train and fry my tongue just to save a few minutes.

Light a bit, if you're getting smoke puff on it. It will go out a minute later, tamp and then light it again, repeat as necessary, could be more than 20 minutes depending on the blend.

Sometimes I can see that the bowl is burning unevenly so I just push tobacco toward that side and try to light the other.

Puff slllllooooowwwwwwwwwwllllllyyyy.... Tiny sips, like you're sucking lemon juice out of a straw.

I don't worry about caking my pipes, there's plenty of people here that clean the bowl thoroughly every time and never let cake build (if you don't smoke hot it's not an issue).

aerofanadam

Lurker
Apr 26, 2015
If you are looking for aromatics, I recommend Boswell. $3/oz and they have an 8 oz variety pack that works as a good intro. I've sampled all 8 plus their newest blend 35 and have yet to find one I didn't like. Some are far and away better, but I'm thinking I might have a sweet tooth when it comes to tobacco and many people don't.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There is an enormous amount of info on pipe care and maintenance. Try doing a Google search using "pipesmagazine.com" and "cleaning a pipe" or "how do I clean my pipe" or any variation thereof. There's literally YEARS of info. Welcome to the forums.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
eRDqoGqm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.