PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
The feeddback from others regarding my pipe has been fairly positive, but of course my folks want me to quit today. Some friends like my pipe quite a bit, remarking how nice it smells- I never blow smoke in people's faces, as cigarette smokers often do- so have seldom been bashed by anti smoking zealots- except a couple times. I was once on the waterfront and this crazy lady pulled my pipe out of my mouth and threw it into the water. I was too shocked to do anything. Ive also been mocked by a couple anti smoking zealots, but ignored their taunts. Their obnoxious behavior was the problem, not my pipe.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Normally I'm pretty passive, and strive to avoid needless conflict (just ignore the ignorant and idiotic), but if someone tossed my pipe into the drink, I would toss them in after it...

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
It depends. If I'm smoking my Savinelli people will sometimes stare or comment on it. If I'm smoking one of my corncobs then I'm "just another strange Okie" and people don't even seem to take much notice. People are a little bit different around here I guess.
I have received complements on how nice my smoke smells, and have seen two other people take up the habit in the short time I've been smoking pipes. I'd say overall it has been very positive reactions from people.
@T.E. holy crap man, your a better man than me. I would never of been able to keep my composure like that if someone invaded my personal space, let alone damaged my property.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
A call to the local 5-0 would have been in order, and that pipe would have turned into a S.Bang real quick when I sued her ass!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My response would have been something along the lines of:
Madame, I am formally charging you with theft, and assault. You are in my custody until which time your person can be remanded to the custody of a Judge, Magistrate, or Peace Officer. If you attempt to leave I will further press the charge of fleeing the scene of a crime.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
She threw your pipe in the water? Unbelievable!!! You're a much more magnanimous and tolerant person than I. Wouldn't a stunt like that qualify as assault or theft? Gee whiz. What happened to manners? I'd be inclined to take legal action.
Happily, the vast majority of reactions to my pipe have been positive. It's routine for me to get friendly nods and smiles, as well as occasional compliments on the pleasant aroma of my pipe. Yesterday afternoon, I was smoking a bowl outside Midway Airport before flying out, and a stranger approached me to ask if I could spare him a cigarette. I said, "Sorry, but I only smoke a pipe." He smiled and said, "That's classy!" Funny.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well after hearing that story of yours I feel very fortunate that reactions to my pipe have been curious or positive.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
She was a nut. I used to work on the commuter boats on Boston harbor, and was on one of the wharves when this pipe snatcher struck. I'd puff my pipe between boat runs.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
That woman, or anyone else would not have left on their own power.
I've never really had an obnoxious person other than my Father say anything to me about my pipe smoking. Didn't do him any good either.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
What a senseless waste of briar.
Being a young pipe smoker I've turned heads, but they always have been complements.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I usually get positive comments. I do remember, back when you could smoke in bars, being told by a bar tender that I had to put my pipe out because they had a policy against pipe and cigar smoking. I said to the guy, so let me get this straight, you are fine with all of these people smoking chemical laden bottom of the barrel cheap ass tobacco, stinky friggin' cigarettes, but I can't smoke a civilized finely crafted pipe full of high quality tobacco that has a wonderful sweet caramelized sugar and insense note to it? He looked at me and shrugged his pathetically hip narrow shoulders and said yep. I stood up and said good bye sir...I will never return to this bar again...have a nice night.
Dude, if someone took my pipe from my mouth and tossed it into the harbour...old lady, nun, child, or 300 lb muscle bound mixed martial artist, I would smash that fucker and toss them in after it.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Grabbing her dentures and throwing them into the water should be fair enough! (assuming she had some, lol)
I've gotten all positive comments and only a couple of odd looks. Even had a couple of women step out of the office building and comment on how nice it smelled. At a Starbucks, I was engrossed in a novel and smoking. When I looked up, there wasn't anyone inside sitting down, but all the tables outside were full. That was the best smoke I'd had.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
@haunted, my daughter was told the same thing. Luckily, I have had talks with her (almost monthly, since she started Kindergarten) about teachers and school employees not always telling the truth because they have an agenda to push. I then explained to her what a "drug" actually is and why plants don't qualify. It fit in very nicely with my talk explaining why I wasn't allowing some incompetent school nurse to administer a flu vaccine.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I’ve always went out of my way to be very courteous to others when it comes to my smoking enjoyment, however I’m afraid if someone threw one of my pipes in the water one of us would end up wet and the other in jail.
On second thought my first reaction would probably have been total shock and then I would have wanted to drown the crazy witch.

Status
Not open for further replies.