PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninaincph

Lurker
Jul 14, 2015
Hello. When I saw this pipe it was love at first sight. However I'm not sure how to enjoy it optimally. It is very very deep (75 mm) and the chamber is only 19 mm in diameter. I find it difficult to smoke - maybe there is a trick. Or maybe I should just enjoy it visually?
Any other people with experience with pipe with deep bowls?
I could show you but I just don't know how to upload a picture.
:)
Nina

ninaincph

Lurker
Jul 14, 2015
hehe ... I figured out how to show it to you
img_4897-600x450.jpg

Edit: Fix the picture/Al

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Hey Nina - welcome to the forum. Many folks use hemp wick or long matches to light up the bottom of a deep bowl.
Nice looking pipe - enjoy!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a beauty. Horns also look difficult to smoke to me as well. Member samcoffeeman has a similar pipe and he loves his (his is a Russian maker).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That's a beautiful piece of briar. I don't see horns as pipes that you clench. I see them as a pipe you sit with while reading. With a bowl nearly 3 inches deep the recommendation that bonehed makes for the hemp wick sounds like good advice.

I'm sure that with practice you'll get to the point where you are completely satisfied with the experience. Enjoy.

ninaincph

Lurker
Jul 14, 2015
Hello again. Someone fixed the picture, that is nice. Thank you.

And I agree that this is a pipe for the slow, relaxed smoke - reading or just looking out of the window or looking at nothing. For letting the thougts fly.

It is a bit big and heavy to just hold between the teeth - at least for me (and I'm not too big myself - so the pipe looks even bigger). But it is very beautifully made with excellent finish by Moretti in Italy and I will eventually learn how to keep it lit and smoke it. A very soft fill makes it easier, but then it doesn't last as long as I had expected.

I must practice more
:)
Thanks for your input

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a really beautiful pipe. Hopefully you will find a way to enjoy smoking it...I can see the hammock idea being a good way to relax with that pipe. Cheers. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes with an almost horizontal bowl present challenges in lighting and smoking, but they sometimes are especially visually pleasing, as this one certainly is. I think it's true that you might get the hang of it and enjoy it almost without thought, on automatic pilot, but it will take some regular smoking of it to get there. I've always wondered if having the heat traveling up to the top wall of the bowl would cause some burn through over time, but perhaps not with some carbon on the upper "wall" of the bowl. Unquestionably, that is a dazzling looker, both the curvaceous shape and the elegant grain. If it doesn't work out as a pipe for your regular rotation, maybe you can smoke it on special occasions. You would certainly feel like you were having a significant moment.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Bowl dimensions seem challenging, but I don't think the horn itself is problematic. I'm thinking putting in some long flake at the right density will be your best blend in that baby.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It seems you might be new to pipe smoking. If so it will take a few years to learn the basics, and during that time needing to also learn how to smoke a horn might well not be a fortuitous combination. You also say it's too heavy to clench. An adage about tobacco is "smoke what you like and like what you smoke," which is also applicable to pipes. If you like your horn and choose to smoke it, no one can gainsay that choice. But it seems to me that you are complicating what is already a complex process.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
If it's comfortable and smokes good do it. If not woulld look really good on shelf too. Me I have never been much good at deep bowls, end up just filling half way.

Status
Not open for further replies.