PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2016
Hi Everybody,
I think this is my first post, if not it's my second. To introduce myself I got interested in pipes (even though I don't normally smoke) as a young kid because my father had a really old and interesting pipe from his grandfather in his top dresser drawer, and when my parents were away I used to sneak in there and look at it, smell it, put it in my mouth etc, and think 'one day I'll be old enough to smoke if I want to' etc. I always loved that pipe. Then finally when my parents passed away it came to me in an inheritance, and because it was old I started trying to learn about it which got me onto Ebay where I then saw all the different types of pipes available - meerschaum/ churchwarden's/ calabash's etc - and far out - from that I also got the 'tobacco pipe accumulation disease' where I now have about 50 pipes in a collection (mostly antique). One day I will post some pics to see what everyone thinks and if they can give me any advice / any information on them etc.
However - from all of this I started watching videos including people smoking pipes and thought it would be fun to try. So I researched what were supposedly the best tobaccos for beginners and what sounded good to me was a Peter Stokkebye aromatic french vanilla tobacco - so I bought some. Around that same time I decided to buy a new pipe to smoke it in (because I didn't want to mess up my antique pipes) so I looked at tons of pictures and liked the churchwardens, so I wound up buying a new Peterson D6 Ebony Churchwarden, which I love. :)
So finally, here comes my question (and thank you for your patience!): Whenever I try to smoke it, it only burns about 50% of the tobacco before it feels like it's all gone. But when I clean the bowl out - there's still a lot of un-burned tobacco left? I'm pretty sure I'm loading it correctly, I load it loosely at the bottom, then more compressed towards the top (like the 'baby-grip/child grip/adult grip' technique) but it still doesn't burn most of the tobacco? The only things (I think?) I don't do - which I'm wondering if I need to? - is to let the tobacco 'dry out' on a piece of paper or something prior to loading the bowl (which I read somewhere), OR do I need to cut the tobacco up further, make it finer etc, from what came in the box that was delivered to me? I swear I've tried to load it loosely at the bottom but it still doesn't burn all the way. :-(
Or, are neither of those things necessary and I just need more practice on my 'baby grip' loading technique? Or does no one burn all their tobacco all the way down? I'd really like to get it right because I really enjoy smoking it, especially on a Friday night with some Jamesons whisky! Either way I really appreciate anyone's input, I've already learned a lot of things from reading this forum, and I hope you guys are doing well! Thanks very much for any help! Kind regards, Keith

Mar 24, 2016
Hi Newbroom, Thanks very much for that. I read the entire post but it didn't really answer my question (or maybe I didn't word my question very well). I re-light my pipe a lot and I don't mind doing it. But when I get to about 50% of the tobacco left, it won't relight? It seems like it's all gone? There's only a 'micro-cherry' at the bottom and I'm getting basically no smoke? So I'm wondering, would it help if I:
-stirred it?

-dry it out before loading? (to make it burn better?)

-chop it up more before loading?

-all of the above/none of the above?
-or does it sound like I'm packing it too hard?
I'm happy with what I'm doing but it feels like I'm wasting tobacco. And it would be nice to have a session which lasts longer than 15 minutes... So I'm just curious - do other people dry out their tobacco (if so, for how long?) / Do other people chop it finer? / Is it common to stir an aromatic tobacco bowl 1/2 way down etc? I've only seen a few videos and don't know anybody who smokes. Sorry to be a pain but this has been bugging me for awhile. Thanks very much again!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd say trying to smoke tobacco that's too wet is the number one cause of frustration among pipe smokers.
Don't give up the ship, and welcome to the forum!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Dry the tobacco more. A lot of the time you won't smoke to the bottom of the bowl as the heat from the burning tobacco creates condensation and wet tobacco at the bottom of the pipe, "dottle". You're doing fine, it happens to everyone. Just enjoy the smoking, and don't put a lot of worrying into it. :wink:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. Can we assume that you use a tamper at some point during your smoke? Also, here's a good video from James Fox Co. for loading a pipe. I've used this method for many years and it is foolproof. Good luck and let us know about your progress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs

May 4, 2015
You'll get farther down the bowl the better your technique gets as you'll be generating less moisture. Smoking too hot makes wetter tobacco. Also, aromatics, I only ever really smoke half the bowl before it's dumpsville. The fragrance and whatever flavor was there is usually gone by that point and I'm left with fairly wet, mediocre tobacco that I don't need to struggle with.
If a bowl starts to frustrate me, I don't fight it. On to the next one.
If you REALLY want to avoid being wasteful, do like I do. Save all your leavings and roll a couple smokes with them at the end of the week :P

May 4, 2015
I forgot to add. A wise member on here once commented the following on this topic:
"Don't think of the tobacco at the bottom of the bowl as wasted. Even if it doesn't get smoked, it has been filtering the tobacco you've smoked so far and added it's flavor as it's steamed below the ember."
Not an exact quote, but that was the spirit of it.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I usually do an ash dump (dumping off the excess ash on the top part of the bowl) and light tamp about half way thru the bowl and this facilitates lighting the tobacco further down in the bowl. I'm not sure if that answers your question or not.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I do what markthelad said above. I also still feel like I have plenty to dump out at the end. I've just accepted it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Good suggestions above. The first thought that came to me was drying the tobacco more. I find that I get the best flavor when I dry the tobacco to the point when it feels dry to the touch when squeezed, but is still pliant.
It's not a necessity to smoke every strand of tobacco in the bowl. In fact, trying to burn every last bit can heat the wood too much, causing it to char or crack over time. Just let the last little bit go. As others here have said, that last bit is generally not great to smoke.
Lastly, take a moment between bowls to run a pipe cleaner through the airway to sop up moisture. Also, it's a good idea to take a pipe cleaner or two, double them over, and wipe down the sides of the chamber to remove gunk.
With time, patience, and practice you will come to understand the best way to smoke your favorite blends.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Just a quick question: does the draught hole coincide with the bottom of the bowl? When I bought my first pipe, I knew nothing, absolutely nothing, so I didn't even pay attention to anything beyond the look and feel. The draught hole was horribly misaligned, and I would end up with 1/3 to 1/2 of my bowl as unsmkoked dottle. Just a thought.

Mar 24, 2016
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I sincerely appreciate it. I do use a tamper, and my draught hole on my churchwarden is at the bottom. (I just checked it). But - what I think I've learned is that aromatic tobaccos are 'wetter' so I should try drying it out before smoking, which might be hard for me to do as I'm usually impatient :) But in saying that - I'll try my best to plan ahead better and maybe let it sit for an hour or so before loading it.
I liked hearing that not everyone smokes it to the bottom, and that knocking the ash out halfway might be a good idea etc. One thing I'm happy I didn't hear, is suggestions on 'stirring' what's left at the bottom - because I also thought that probably wouldn't taste too good.
I also probably smoke it 'too hot' because I think I have a tendency to 'flame it' maybe more than I should. My bowl does get hot quick. So I'm gonna try drying it out more to where it feels 'dry to the touch', and also try to be a bit more mellow when I light it. I used to use stick matches but I bought a Calibri Connaught lighter, and I probably need to turn down the flame a bit - so I'm gonna do that as well.
So thanks again for all the suggestions! You guys are brilliant and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Kind regards, Keith

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Something else you can do is fill your pipe with the amount of tobacco you intend to smoke, and then dump that bowl out onto a paper plate and microwave it for 8 seconds to greatly speed up the drying process. After the microwave, allow the tobacco to cool and reload it into the pipe, light and enjoy.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
flamethrower1-e1430852695307-600x314.jpg

Burns it all the way down every time!!!! :lol:

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I found out that using a pipe screen helps me burn all the tobacco.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
But when I get to about 50% of the tobacco left, it won't relight?
Sounds like the draw is too high. Try a different pipe?
Alternatively: try lighting the center and using breath control to make it spread out to the rest and burrow deep in the heap.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Reading the title of this thread, I expected it to be an anti-tobacco person coming here trying to find a way to destroy all tobacco hahaha.
Glad that is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.