PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Hi guys,
I recently acquired a really nice and VERY unique Bowlfish/Apple, but I think the stem is overly bent.
How do I heatup a stem to straighten it out a bit?
Thanks!
Todd

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
A pipe smoker should not be in a rush for any
water it shall be...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Is the stem acrylic or rubber?
Boiling water can cause bubbles to appear in acrylic (been there, done it), but on rubber it can leave you some serious oxidation. Absent a heat gun, a candle or the flame on a gas stove works just fine. Just be sure to move the stem in and out of the heat directly above the flame and take your time.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
what I have done when I needed to bend a stem is this: I placed a pipe cleaner in the stem, then used a hair dryer, somehow my wife's gives out a very very hot air, after maybe 20-30 seconds, the stem is pliable enough to do the necessary adjustements. if you try, tell me how it went. Cheers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've always used a lighter. Just hold the stem several inches above the flame, and turn the stem to evenly distribute the heat. Don't rush, and when you achieve the desired shape, dip it in cold water to set the shape.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I like the boiling water method (for Vulcanite) because the temp is controlled.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've done all three, boiling water, flame and a heat gun. I like the control the heat gun gives you, so that is my preference. Flame is only for the most fool hardy!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I tried a heat gun a few times, but seemed like it heated too much of the stem for precision bending.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Bo Nordh used an alcohol lamp or candle. Not recommended for the inexperienced, though.
Hot water is messy, slow, and does indeed turn some vulcanite a lovely, deep shade of olive-puke greenbrown. Not recommended for anyone.
Oven-baked pans of sand or salt are a complete PITA for one stem. Avoid except for mass production.
A paint stripper type hot air gun (on a low setting if adjustable) is the best choice by a considerable margin. Just wear gloves, DO NOT LEAVE FOCUSED ON ONE SPOT, and test the stem for "bendiness" frequently until you get a feel for it.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
" I like the boiling water method (for Vulcanite) because the temp is controlled.

That will instantly turn a vulcanite/ebonite stem green."
I've never seen any green. Sometimes a bit of brown oxidation or a whitish haze, both easily remedied with 800-grit cloth and a bit of elbow grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.