How Discerning Are You About Choosing A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'm the type of pipe smoker that can look for days and weeks online to find a pipe that I like. I have even gone into a B&M and spent all day deciding on a pipe to buy. You can even put 10 pipes of the same make in front of me and only one will look better than the rest to me. So, how many of you are as discerning as me? Are you more discerning or can you just pick up any pipe and smoke it? Now, if there was only one kind of pipe made in the world, I would have no other choice. I wonder if I would enjoy the tobacco any less in a pipe that didn't appeal to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I torture most pipe purchases quite a lot, and will have come close to buying several pipes in a category before

I finally commit. Most often, I have fairly limited price requirements, but this makes the selection all the more

demanding in that way. I perceive that this has resulted in particularly good values for the money I spend, but

it is a different collection that I would have if I bought fewer pipes for more each. I can spend two weeks to

months on a pipe decision. A number get sold off while I'm deciding, but I don't seem to regret them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I never set out with the intention of buying another pipe. I step into a pipe store and eyeball the displays. It only takes a minute. If one catches my eye, always bent, usually smooth, conventional shape with a good sized bowl, I will fondle it, check the fit and finish and run a cleaner through it. If all systems are go, and the price reasonable I fish out the card and pay the price for my impetuosity.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
On cheap estates I'm not to picky. Now new pipes especially meers I spend hours, days , even weeks. Perfect example is spent 1 week deciding on one. Woke up today with intent to buy. Go to site , one of you had already bought it!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I lied! I did buy a Falcon on-line a week or so ago. Metal and wood, didn't seem to be any risk, I suppose the machine could slip a cog or something but the pipe arrived and smokes extremely well. The five bowls are nice. I fill 'em up and I'm good for a day out behind the camera.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Like dervis, I'm not picky when it comes to getting deals on estates. As far as new ones, I look until one "speaks" to me. Most of you know I'm a Peterson fan, but Petersons don't always "speak" to me, so I'll look until something else does. I have to admit though, any time I look online or at a B&M, the Petes are the first thing I look at.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm kind of spontaneous with how I buy pipes. Depending on the day, mood, price etc. I like a range of different styles so I don't have certain criteria I always look for. It's a matter of just seeing a pipe that catches my eye. There have been a few occasions I wanted something very specific, such as my Castello Sea Rock Oom Paul, but most of the time it's just a matter of picking one out that "speaks" to me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Now that I now exactly what I want in my pipes, it does not take me long to figure out if a given pipe meets my very picky criteria. I have a set list of things I look for in a pipe and if anything on my list is not met, I immediately pass.
Is it the right size?

Is it a shape I like?

Does it have a well made hand cut stem and a button that I feel will be comfortable?

Does it have a nice looking blast or nice grain?

Is it from an artisan I trust or from some new artisan I am looking to try?

Is it the right weight?

How well will it smoke my flakes?

Is is a good clencher?

Is the price right?
I no longer buy a pipe haphazardly because I like the look of it. I would rather buy a pipe that I am not crazy about the looks because I know it will be a great smoker, than to buy one because it is pretty. I go for smoking properties first and foremost.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I'm right there with Mike. I'm not too picky but certain pipes just speak to me. Honestly the hardest time I have is finding a pipe that I like and then stalking ebay until I can get it (or a reasonable facsimile) for a decent price. Will I be able to afford a brand new Ashton Bulldog anytime soon? God no. That being said, I'm sure I can acquire a new or used one on ebay for a fraction of the price if I look hard enough, and look hard I shall.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In the beginning the world of pipes was new and wonderful to me and I wasn't picky at all. I was a perfect sucker. Now, I'm fairly picky. Since I mostly buy older English pipes, condition plays an ever increasing role in my decision making. Even if the pipe is a rare example I'll pass if the condition doesn't meet my standard. I won't buy blasts that have that have been buffed down, bowls that show evidence of having been smoked hot, buffed out nomenclature, or beaten up stems.

That said, I do have a few knockabout pipes that are cosmetically challenged but which offer a superb smoke. And then, it's because the price is so low that I'm willing to take a chance.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Like Harris, these days I know what I like so I'm pretty particular about what I want in a pipe. The toughest thing for me is to resist the urge to buy a pipe that "speaks to me" based on aesthetics. There are certainly a myriad of pipes out there that are stunningly beautiful. But, at the end of the day, I collect pipes to smoke. So, size is the first criteria that one has to meet. Quality is always a factor high on the list although these days there are a lot of well made pipes to choose from with relatively low risk of getting a dud. I'm not too picky about stem thickness because I clench but it can't be too thick or uncomfortable. After that it's a matter of personal taste. I really like sandblasted pipes and they make up the majority of my pipes. I'll also purchase a particular shape and size based on the tobacco I intend to smoke in it.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I've gotten so discerning that I haven't bought a pipe in four years.
I'm starting to look again for an old estate that catches the eye, but I'm thinking it's going to take a while. More than the money, for me it's the space. I don't like to have a bunch of things I'm not using around me.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm thinking the best way to really test pipes is to go to a brick and mortar or to a pipe show, like the one in Chicago, where you can see so many artisan's wares at the same time.

You can test the pipe every which way except for actually smoking it
I wonder if there is a way to clench one with some type of mouth protector?
Wish that were true

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As the cost of pipes I chose escalates yearly, I've become pretty discerning. My list is attributes is much like Harris'.
I just passed on a pipe that I thought was one of my holy grails, a Rad Davis "Churchill" Rhodesian made for Neill's Passion for Pipes blog as a POY in 2013. I was surprised to find the weight listed at 66 grams, with my target around 50 grams.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
So discerning, I smoke the same pipe every day. I want more pipes, but afraid I won't like them as much, so I always seem to talk myself out of needing them. Also, I won't spend more than $80 on a pipe as I don't collect.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
When searching the online vendors or ebay for a new pipe I'll look until I find a pipe that just "speaks to me." When I find a pipe that I really like that's when I'll look to make a purchase. I don't typically say I'm going to buy a pipe today and then just settle on one that day. I browse from time to time and mark pipes as favorites and when the time comes I go back and look at those as well as any new ones I may come across.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, unfortunately most of us do not have a b/m to go look at pipes and if we do, variety is usually wanting. I have bought every pipe except for 2 all on line and it takes some doing making sure the pipe fits my criteria.
If you have a check list of things you want in a pipe, it will help in determining if a certain pipe is right for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.