How difficult is it to light up/pack a "horn" pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi,
Well, I'm starting to look at pipes again. I sold my collection over a year ago due to my asthma getting worse. Started smoking cigars at a low rate 2/month and I've had no ill effects. I was smoking my pipes 3x/week. I should have just cut back. I have yet to find a cigar as enjoyable as an Italian pipe with a mild auro, english or crossover blend. The closest has been Drew Estates Natural line which supposedly uses some pipe bacci fillers. I still like a good mild to med CT cigar, but definitely don't love them.
Anyway, I digress, I am looking at an Il Ceppo Grade 4 horn pipe. My preference has always been straight billiards, Canadians or heavy bent pipes that are sitters. I can not clench because I then inhale my second hand smoke which is a no no for me. I learned this the hard way. I take a couple of puffs and then place the pipe to the side away from me. I can only smoke outside. this is how I smoke my cigars. Nice and slow, but not so slow as to have to relight all the time. Yuck! Anyway, I have always loved the look of the horn pipes, but not sure of its practicality and convenience. I don't want to buy a pipe I will rarely smoke. What are your opinions on horn pipes. This Il Ceppo is 6" long, 2"H, 13/16 chamber, would definitely prefer 7/8ths here. Thanks guys and gals!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo cra
I too love the graceful designs of those horns, but since I personally like the heat and smoke from the pipe to go straight up, I've never indulged my fancy. But I have it from unimpeachable sources that puffing horns while reclining in a beach chair or hammock is the cat's pajamas.
hp

les

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
It looks as it there might be a possibility of sucking in burning embers - my least favorite thing.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I have one horn and can attest to lestrouts comment. It is the only pipe i will ever smoke when in a hammock. But admittedly I don't smoke it when not in a hammock due to its weight and angle.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I do like the shape of those types of pipes. But...when I first started smoking my favorite shape was the Kaywoodie 01 Yachtsman. A partial bent with a forward canted bowl. After losing many coals and burning holes in various shirts and jackets, I gave up on shapes like that. Can't smoke 'em.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Packing isn't any different than other pipes but lighting a horn is always a bit disconcerting for me. Somehow my depth perception gets off kilter and I find myself searching with the flame for the center of the bowl.
Definitely a reclining pipe. As spring arrives my thoughts drift to lying in my hammock with a pipe...ahh, the sweet life.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Thanks guys, I decided to pass. It was a good deal, but just not practical. I had the same issue with Jumbo pipes. I loved the way they looked and felt, but the chambers were so huge, I used to fill them only half way. I also never felt it smoke cooler than my well made Italians.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Horn shape pipes are beautiful, but they are fighting gravity. I think the upper side of the bowl must retain a higher degree of heat, and certainly lighting a horn requires a lot more attention in avoiding charring the brim of the bowl. I know there are happy horn smokers who master the technique and whose pipes work fine for a lifetime, but as a category of shape, I think they are tricker pipes to smoke. Admittedly, some horn shape bowls end up with the bowl in the normal upright position, and these probably work as well as any Dublin or Calabash or whatever, but many horns are angled way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.