PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
On my lunch break today I was perusing estate pipes on ebay (PAD is in full swing).
I saw this little gem with the clock running out. Threw a bid on it and got it cheap enough that if it turns out to be total junk I won't have to cry too much.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252153839427?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
What do you guys think? I'm still pretty new to estate pipes, but I think I'm getting better at spotting decent ones. Thoughts?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I think you got a great deal! I have a couple of Chacom pipes and find them to be well made great smoking pipes. Like you say, you didn't pay much for it, but I think you got a fantastic deal on a pipe that probably sold for a whole lot more new. Enjoy it!!

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I don't own any Chacom pipes. Although my first pipe was a little French bent billard basket pipe,bought in a small town in France. It's a grand smoker.Happy smoking with your new purchase.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Well, the pipe arrived today and I'm pretty happy with it. It's in really great shape with no dings or marks. I'm gonna try to shine it up a little and restore some luster, but other than that it looks great.
It had been reamed down to pretty much bare wood and was really clean. Did a couple pipe cleaners through it with high test white lightning and they came out clean on the first run. No musty smells or ghosts in the pipe at all.
Gonna smoke CH out of it until I get a little cake built up and then start trying some other things. It draws well but seems to smoke a little moist. I had to use a pipe cleaner a couple times to get moisture out of the stem when it started to gurgle a little, but it wasn't too bad at all. I'm hoping it'll get better as I smoke it more, especially if I remember to slow down (I have a tendency to really puff, especially on CH and PA).
I'm gonna say it was a good buy and I think it's gonna have a regular home in the rotation :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice briar at cob prices, if the photo is an accurate representation. I like my two Chacom billiards very much. They are made with noticeable integrity, well-drilled, with a lot of quiet style and great classic lines. If your pipe is sound, it is an excellent deal and will be a treat to smoke for decades. Glad its arrival supported your expectations!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I like the thickness of the bowl there. I do hate gurgle though. Will cake build up stop that some? Those "stinger pipes" create gurgle often with wet tobacco. This past week with all the rain here in the southeast I noticed my Falcon Pipe drawing a tremendous amount of moisture and gurgle and it wasn't the dark colored liquid, it was almost clear. So this tells me that humidity really does effect our pipes. Its rare for the Falcon the gurgle for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.