How clean is clean enough on a Estate pipe.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, so I need some expert advise. I have been working on several estate pipes. I have reamed them out. Done the salt/everclear treatment. Wiped them down with everclear. Run 20-30 bristly pipe cleaners dipped in everclear through the shank and they still come out dark to black. But I run a dry pipe cleaner and it comes out clean. Is that clean or is there a step I am missing. I plan on giving them to my niece and nephew and want them to be as perfect as I can get them.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I usually keep running ever clear dipped pipe cleaners through until they come out relatively clean. Then I may run a couple times through with a bourbon dipped one after it is pretty clean. However it is all personal preference and how much time you want to spend.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Clean is when your alcohol dipped bristles come out clean. I've had a few pipes that took a complete package of 80 tapered bristles and still needed more. Also, you need to completely scrub out the mortise so that it's clean wood. To clean out the mortise, I double over tapered bristle cleaners twice so that there are two thicknesses on all four sides, dip it in alcohol, and twist it around in the mortise, one after another, until all of the hardened gunk is gone. The stem airway may take a number of regular bristle and non bristle cleaners to get clean. Don't forget to scrub the outside of the stem at the button and to scrub out the slot. To get rid of crud on the stem, I usually use a Micromesh kit, starting with the coarsest grades and working through to the fine polishing grades with the last done under running water to get a brilliant shine.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'll definitely agree with everything that was said so far. Also, after your pipe cleaners come out clean you might want to use a retort on the pipe. If you do decide to use one, it's possible that the heat and moisture you introduce into the pipe may cause more issues in the future (loose or tight stem) when it dries. I believe that using a retort is an extreme measure. If you want a super clean pipe, it's the way to go. Having said that, it does open up the possibility that you may have to tighten or loosen the stem fit in the future.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I retort my estate pipes. What I find usually is a lot of hardened gunk inside of the shank. Getting rid of this with pipe cleaners is very tedious. I often use Q-tips for it but it is easier when you have run a few retorts through it. Clean is clean for me when the finished pipe doesn´t smell of smoke or tobacco anymore.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Doing a retort sounds like it might me a nice step to do in place of the 20-30 pipe cleaners dipped in everclear. Any recommendations on a retort kit to use?

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
You can make your own! Just look for a small test tube and silicone tubing on Ebay. A hot air gun helps to keep the risk of setting your workbench on fire low.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Before the trouble and expense of a retort, why not try what works for several folks here: Very hot water flushing. (Followed by paper towel and pipe cleaner drying, Q-tips in the mortise after a blunt knife carefully reaming out the gunk in the mortise (which has been softened by the hot water, though some will not yield to the water flush if of sufficient hardness.)
In other words, try those methods that are easier and less harsh before going whole hog.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Matter of personal preference.
Personally I like a seasoned estate briar. Kind of like an old iron skillet. Don't wash it. I get the stem squeaky clean but only a light ream and clean for the briar. ( unless it has an unworldly ghost)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
When you are willing to put the used pipe in your mouth, it's clean enough. I could make reference to the line at the house of ill repute but, I'll refrain. If you want the ghosts of all the old tobacco removed? You've got a bit of work ahead of you.

May 4, 2015
If I'm confident the stem is disinfected, that's good enough for me generally. If it's THAT caked, I probably didn't purchase it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.