How Can I Re-Hydrate or Moisten Dry Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
My local cigar shop is getting out of the pipe biz, so I got about 1 pound of various Cornell and Diehl tobacco at a good price... FREE!!! Most in good condition as he kept it in sealed jars, but some if very dry. How might I go about bring this back to life? Is there any good way of adding back the moisture. I thought of using my cigar humidor, if it would not take months to recover. I'm sure there's more then one frugal pipe smoker here that has done this before.
I must say, however, one advantage of dry baccy is that it only takes one light!!
Thank you

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
This is a quick fix. Take half of the tobacco, spread out on cutting board, are counter top. Take a fine mist spray bottle with distilled water, spray over the tobacco letting mist fall and settle onto tobacco mix occasionally. When it's moist then take the other half and place all tobacco into large ziplock, shake well to mix together. Every now and again shake again, let sit overnight. Next morning check to see if its at the right moisture level your use to. I like the pinch method. If its still too dry repeat process till desired. Hope this helped.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I have no real idea how to re-hydrate tobacco, but a pound of C&D for free; you are one lucky dog haroldt. Good Luck on re-hydrating your tobacco.
P.S. What tobaccos did you get.

~Ron

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
With all respect to Love's suggestion, I'm leery of spraying water directly onto tobacco.
Here's something down and dirty which has worked well for me.
I grab one of my bride's narrow and shallow Tupperware containers and fill it with the dried out tobacco. I get a paper towel, moisten it with distilled water and stretch it across the top of the container. Finally, I take Saran Wrap and seal the paper towel across the Tupperware.
Depending on the amount of tobacco being rehydrated, in 3 to 18 hours your product should be smokeable again.
Best of luck to you, pard.
Fnord

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
When I run into some overly dry tobacco, I usually put it into a Mason jar, leaving about an inch at the top, soak a paper towel in distilled water, squeeze out excess water, fold the towel in half 3 or 4 times, prop it up on the tobacco, and seal up the jar. I leave it over night and check it the next morning. It's usually back to a good moisture content, so i remove and discard the towel and seal the jar back up. Always use distilled water because it has no contaminants to promote mold or fungal growth.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I have used this method with no problem for 20years. I have spent countless years in afghan and other desert enviroments and a lot of the time my bulk tobacco that I carry with me will get extra crispy before I make it back to the states. This method was showed to me by a third country national that had been taught this very method. This method has been working for 100's of years.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Please note that I said QUICK FIX!! Also this is pertaining to large amounts of tobacco. I'm sure there are some better ways if you have plenty of time to spare, and time to sit around messing with your tobacco.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I don't know about re-hydrating so much, but to keep my (typically, very dry) Five Brothers in a nicer state of moisture, I'll usually just spritz a little distilled water on the lid of the mason jar I keep it in. This has done wonders.
In regards to the paper towel idea, has anyone done this with Rye or Rum instead of water? Might impart a nice little taste to the tobacco.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I create a steam bath for the tobacco. I use a small soup bowl centered within a large (14"), shallow Tupperware salad bowl.

Place the tobacco around the soup bowl; pour boiling water into the soup bowl; cover the whole thing with the Tupperware lid.

It is very effective, but droplets of water accumulate on the underside of the lid, so care must be taken when removing it.

(The next time I do this I'll lay some paper towels on the tobacco to guard against falling droplets.)
The water is, of course, sterilized of biota by boiling; and only steam leaves the bowl, so it's a distillation.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yes I'm considering hydrating some PS lbf with some rum and some with rye, I've read that rum makes it into a fantastic smoke on another pipe forum, I think whisky would be good also. I think you just hydrate it using rum instead of water

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@CORTEZ

You could replace the "lid" with a clean towel. Steam would still fill the empty space and no droplets would be able to fall onto the tobacco.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
i just take a paper towel get it wet and squeeze just enough water out so its not dripping and fold it twice and place it on the mouth of the jar and screw the lid on over it, then i let it sit over night check it in the morning if the moisture level isnt where i want it i repeat until im satisfied

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 Slowwideturns
I almost do this exact thing, but instead I use a section of sponge and suspend it with a paper towel at the top of the jar.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Always use distilled water because it has no contaminants to promote mold or fungal growth.

I've read that rum makes it into a fantastic smoke on another pipe forum, I think whisky would be good also. I think you just hydrate it using rum instead of water
Hmm, I can see the logic of both. Really only one way to find out for sure no?

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
The few times I've done it, I've used the moist paper towel as suggested by others.
Re-hydrating will make it so that you can smoke the tobacco again, but it probably won't be quite the same as the original. While drying, some of the more volatile essential oils have probably also evaporated. Nevertheless, you will likely still get some decent tobacco as a result.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Hmm, I can see the logic of both. Really only one way to find out for sure no?
As far as using distilled water, you can take that as gospel. I learned the hard way, lost several cigars and a tin of tobacco. But, if you are one who has to see for himself.... At least try it on something you don't mind throwing away.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
mm, I can see the logic of both. Really only one way to find out for sure no?

Oh, it's been done, you can either spray it on, soak the paper towel etc... The first time I'd tried st. james flake by McC's my tobacconist had opened some tins, soaked it in rum and then stoved it. It was fantastic. The stoving part is what I'm more curious about, I'm thinking of moistening it, sealing the jar and then heating it on low for a few hours.
I've used tap water just fine in both my humidor and pipe tobacco, it more comes down to the quality of your tap water than anything. I've heard of alot of people that use plain tap water with no issues.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I've no experience with this, and free advice is worth what you pay for it, but I'd be cautious about sealing the lid and then heating the jar. I think I'd leave the lid loose, even if heating it on low.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
. I think I'd leave the lid loose, even if heating it on low.

Yeah I was going to check about that first before doing it, my gf cans alot of stuff so she'd know, but yeah a glass jar exploding wouldn't be too good from built up pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.