PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
ZWU5MTRkNDQ0NyMvWGhBdV81UGwwSW9hei0tQ0JXWWtGNFM3X0tvPS8weDU4OjIwNzR4MTM2Ni84NDB4NTMwL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy8zOTEyYTk4ZTBhM2MyNWRjOWQwMmJkYzlkMDk1MDhkNWZlOTMzNzJkMWIzZDhlYjIxYzM4YWZhZTQzZTRlN2M2LmpwZw==.jpg

Article on link below
http://mic.com/articles/92503/how-big-tobacco-engineered-cigarettes-to-be-more-deadly-and-addictive-than-ever

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ahhh, which begs the question of the cigarette smoker: "Who cares!"
Although I prefer my Nat Sherman's I know that putting any alien substance into your system is most likely not going to do anything positive for me. Whether I feed the nicotine with a pipe, cigarette, chaw, etc., there is no way to reconcile the damage with the enjoyment. So quit thinking about the damage and enjoy the experience and, if your genes are such, a shorter life. There's always a trade off.
We do so like to try and rationalize our inappropriate behavior.

Reactions: jraggreg56

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
So quit thinking about the damage and enjoy the experience and, if your genes are such, a shorter life. There's always a trade off.
Well there's a big difference if you're actually informed about the potential damage and the fact there's all these different things put into the tobacco you smoke and choose to anyways. I'm a former cigarette smoker, I quit for years, picked up the pipe after not smoking for years, and find I can take it or leave it and never find myself going crazy if I can't smoke my pipe. I also had a cigarette last summer when I was drunk and didn't have my pipe, so I figured I'd have a cigarette, and for about 3 days afterwords my lungs felt heavy and gross, just from that one cigarette, but not from my pipe and I inhale my pipe. Some people are quite clueless, like my older brothers friend lived in California for a bit back in the late 80's and his car was from Canada so it had a plug on it for the block heater. People would ask him what it was for and he'd tell them well in Canada we have electric cars, and the people would believe him.

May 31, 2012
This TFK (tobacco free kids)article is crass WHO propaganda methinks.
They like to distort things, like taking a traditional tobacco casing method and say it was evil scientist engineering crafted by fatcat capitalists with malicious intentions...
They'll state something like this:
The evidence is clear that tobacco companies have used flavorings, such as liquorice and chocolate, to attract non-smokers:
“Although each tobacco manufacturer carefully guards the secrets of his casing (and flavor) formulas, it is well known that casings for smoking products often contain sugar, liquorice, cocoa, or chocolate liquor and sometimes natural extracts. Of these, liquorice deserves special mention. Just as sugar is used in ‘casing’ the tobacco to mellow and smooth the smoke, liquorice is used as an adjunct to boost the sweetness of tobacco products. The taste of liquorice to the smoker is that of a mellow sweet woody note which, at proper use levels, greatly enhances the quality of the final product."
Clear evidence?

they're quoting a source talking about a common casing method and making the case that the reason why it's done is to hook the kids and kill more children.
And they like to use scary words like "bronchodilator" and make it sound like some weird nasty chemical, and as a bronchodilator they cite cocoa, chocolate, and liquorice --- scary stuff huh?
Each and every year, "big tobacco" continues to get smaller, this shrinking effect will surely not be good for pipesmokers will it?
What about when they've conquered cigarettes and reign their focus elsewhere?
Imagine the above report and read it by substituting the word "cigarettes" with "pipe tobacco",

the future looks grim.

:evil:
tt111214.gif

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Very true. If you inhale smoke from a camp fire you are pretty much inhaling the same material as burned paper or tobacco. One doesn't have to get into the science too far to see that it's all bad and some may be worse than others. But, it's still a crap shoot and if one's genes imbued one with a robust immune system you might skate.
Just don't buy the idea that letting poisons from incinerated material lay around the various mucus areas to absorb is a whole lot better than the taking of it right down to the lungs. Same basic poisons, just ingested in a different manner.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I use to love those candy cigs when I was a kid. It was fun to hide behind the house with my cousins and pretend to smoke being so cool. What good memories that would never have happened with out big tobacco. :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I remember going to the corner store with my friend when we were 5 and getting 2 packs of players cigarettes with a "we're buying these for our parents". I remember those candy cigs, you blew out of them and they had a sugar cloud of smoke.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_additives_in_cigarettes
See tobacco use is tobacco use, when you add so many things to the tobacco that are bad for you, then the really bad health problems start like lung cancer. Then when you have really bad health problems starting, people start to look for something to recoup the losses that are draining tax payers money for treating these people that are ill. So casing it with sugar or licorice is one thing, but adding things that have no business being in tobacco is another, and if so many people weren't getting health problems due to cigarette smoking, all tobacco use probably wouldn't be so stigmatized and they wouldn't keep taxing it so viciously. I'm sure when the tobacco taxes start in the US you all won't be like "Oh hey it's all good, we're all smokers in this together and the type of tobacco I choose to smoke vs. cigarettes is no different"

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
F1.medium.gif

Interesting study which confirms cigarette smoking is the leading cause of disease with tobacco use.

Association Between Exclusive Pipe Smoking and Mortality From Cancer and Other Diseases

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/96/11/853.full

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Pipe Smoking and Health:

"Risky business or casual pleasure?"

by Mark Beale, MD
In making the decision to smoke or not, we must educate ourselves about the risks and benefits. Unfortunately, the scientific data which attempts to quantify the risks of pipe smoking remain sparse. In 1964, the Surgeon General of the United States issued a landmark report on tobacco usage. This report, which described the dangers of cigarette smoking, including heart disease, lung damage, and an increased cancer risk, raised the public's awareness regarding the health consequences of certain behaviors.
Specifically, this report confirmed what had been suspected for quite some time, that cigarette smoking could be dangerous. However, the conclusion drawn from several studies about pipe smokers was that they tended to live longer than the general population!
A subsequent revision of this report, which appeared in 1979, concluded that pipe smoking increased the mortality ratio slightly, when compared with non-smokers, but the effect was minimal when compared to cigarette smokers. Pipe smokers using four or fewer bowls of tobacco per day had a lower mortality ratio than non-smokers - meaning the death rate was less for occasional pipe smokers than for the general population.
Since then, other reports have emerged, including the 1982 Surgeon General's report which concluded that pipe smokers have a 2 - 4.3 times greater risk of lung cancer than non-smokers. However, the studies upon which this conclusion is based did not differentiate between inhalers and non-inhalers. Presumably, non-inhaling pipe smokers would have had a lower lung cancer risk than inhalers.
Other interesting findings include a Swedish twin study which found that pipe smoking twins lived longer than non-smoking twins. This same study found a much higher mortality rate in cigarette smoking twins compared to their non-smoking siblings.
Other Potential Risks
Importantly, there is more to health risks than death! In pipe smokers these risks include heart disease, chronic lung disease, and cancer of the lip, tongue and throat. In fact, the largest risk for pipe smokers may be in developing cancer of the lip. This type of cancer is more responsive to treatment than, for example, lung cancer and therefore is not reflected in studies examining mortality.
When a Feller Needs a Friend
The old advertising slogan for Briggs Pipe Tobacco "When a Feller Needs a Friend", I think emphasizes the psychological aspects of pipe smoking. This phenomenon of pipe smoking as mental comfort can be found in other advertising slogans as well, including the phrase, "Relax with a Marxman", used by the popular New York pipe firm. Indeed, when we examine the risks and potential benefits of pipe smoking, we must also consider the psychological aspects of the hobby.
Many pipe smokers will tell you that one of life's greatest pleasures is to enjoy a fine tobacco in a favorite pipe. The key word here is "enjoy".
The psychological benefits of pipe smoking have been described by many who have enjoyed the hobby, including Mark Twain, Albert Einstein and others. Einstein felt that pipe smoking facilitated his mental clarity when working on a difficult project. Many pictures of him at work show that he favored billard-shaped pipes. Pipe smokers often like to recite one of his most relevant quotes: "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs". Indeed, it is difficult to measure the calming qualities of pipe smoking and the possible beneficial effects on our work, productivity, relationships, and relaxation.
With further study we may find that enjoying a pipe in moderation can prolong life, in a way analogous to the recent finding that consuming alcohol in moderation may protect against the development of certain types of heart disease.
In reality, most experienced pipe smokers don't look to science to tell them that pipe smoking reduces stress. This is something they know from their own experience. Nonetheless, scientists are interested in this phenomenon and many believe that stress reduction can prolong life. Some researchers feel that smoking reduces stress by stimulating "reward centers" in the brain and affecting brain chemicals, such as dopamine. Changes in these brain chemicals lead to a sense of calm and relief from worry.
Risk vs Benefit
Are the risks of pipe smoking outweighed by the benefits? Presently there is not enough scientific information to clearly define the health risks of pipe smoking. The risks of lung cancer and premature death appear to be much less than for heavy cigarette smokers.
How do the risks of pipe smoking compare to other behaviors in our repertoire such as driving a car? Only you can decide for yourself.
If you choose to smoke, you must be considerate of others, regardless of whether you agree with their stance on tobacco use. Exposing someone to unwanted tobacco smoke goes a long way toward damaging the image of pipe smokers and makes others feel victimized.
If you feel the risks are reasonable, and choose to smoke, available studies indicate that you should do so in moderation and without inhaling. The concern over "side stream" or "second hand" smoke suggests that you should enjoy your pipe only in a well-ventilated area and/or use an air purifier.
Its hard to argue with someone wanting to enjoy an occasional pipe, and most likely, the pipe smoker won't want to argue anyway.
Article taken from Dr. Beale
About The Author:

Dr. Beale is a psychiatrist, researcher, and teacher in Charleston, SC.

May 31, 2012
bHQj89G.jpg

scope_cigarette_warning.jpg

cig_warning.jpg

likely-stroke.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_additives_in_cigarettes

Almost all of those additives in the list occur in pipe tobacco too, there's some oddball stuff like 2-Hydroxy-4-methylbenzaldehyde for which no description is given, but for the most part the additives can enhance flavor profiles and stuff like that, perhaps some mold inhibitors or whatever else also --- is that list of additives supposed to be alarming?
Look, I'm not saying cigarettes are great and indeed the goddamn'd companies themselves veered off into verbiage like

"nicotine delivery system" and shit, so they did some stupid stuff, yeah.
The rise and fall of the cigarette in the 20th C has an interesting and intricate narrative arc with a varied constellation of points.
Many of those cigarette companies made some great pipe tobacco too, so the histories are somewhat intertwined.
I just don't know what the point of this thread is,

really.
whatisincig.jpg

whats-in-fake-fags.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Well there's actually medical evidence above linking cigarette smoking to higher rates of disease than pipes or cigar smokers, so I think it's rather interesting and a valid argument why pipe smoking isn't as bad as cigarette smoking so to lump the 2 together doesn't do us much favors.

May 31, 2012
They're gonna lump 'em all up together regardless,

tobacco kills.

Period.
That is their mentality.
These people are not rational.
Medical evidence shifts like sinking sand onna blank beach of public opinion across a fathomless ocean of new discoveries everyday like yesterday and daddy does best to control the outcomes to whatever or whichever or wherever a particular field of influence may lay within the frames getting the angles just right for the racket of sociological shape-changing and woe be wellwishers because civilization is a rigid bitch, fixed.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Well it's already being lumped together so what's the harm in trying to educate people?
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-smoking-culture/health-benefits-of-pipe-smoking/

May 31, 2012
My apologies.
I think I may have misinterpreted and went off onna tangent.

:oops:
I'm just extra-sensitive to the anti-tobacco argument, and the linked article went to TFK which is stupid and then there was linked again to WHO who I absolutely despise like down down to hell and say I sent thee thither kind of animosity and I got a little bit wrinkled and went overboard I guess...
...sorry for the hijack.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's okay, we're all grown men and can discuss things. Now light a bowl and relax. :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Some great info I found searching for more ammo for this argument
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Smoking_Health
http://pipedia.org/docs/Pipe_Smoking_Health.pdf
"Pipe and Cigar Smoking", The Report of an Expert Group Appointed by Action on Smoking and Health,

Practitioner, 1973; 210:645-652.

CONCLUSION: "Those who smoke only pipes or cigars have a much smaller increase in mortality: ranging from 1 per cent to 20 per cent, in the various studies. Pipe or cigar smokers who smoke moderately and do not inhale

have only a very small increase in risk; but the minority who smoke heavily (ten or more cigars or twenty or more

pipes daily) and inhale, incur a risk to life similar to that of light cigarette smokers."

LUNG CANCER - "it is reasonable to conclude from present evidence that light cigar or pipe smoking (one or two

cigars or up to four pipes a day) does not increase the risk of lung cancer, but if consumption rises above this level

an increased risk is encountered."

OTHER CANCERS - "cancer of the mouth, oesophagus or larynx...the risk, however, is not nearly as great as that

which cigarette smokers run developing lung cancer." "Cancer of the bladder...there is no evidence of an increased

risk in pipe and/or cigar smokers."

CHRONIC BRONCHITIS - "lung function is on the average only slightly (about 3 per cent.) reduced in pipe or

cigar smokers compared to non-smokers..."

CORONARY HEART DISEASE - "Most studies show little increased risk of coronary heart disease in those pipe

and cigar smokers who are mainly light smokers." "...the rise in blood-fat level (free fatty acids) is less after pipe

or cigar smoking than after cigarette smoking, so long as the smoke is not inhaled."

DISEASES OF THE TEETH AND GUMS - "Pipe smokers are just as severely affected as cigarette smokers."

PASSIVE SMOKING - "It was concluded that passive smoking was not a significant hazard to non-smokers except

under unusually smoky conditions without ventilation, such as those found in the experiments...The present evidence

indicates that there is virtually no risk to the healthy non-smoker apart from exceptional exposure to

tobacco smoke in an unventilated room or a closed car, but patients already suffering from chronic bronchitis or

coronary heart disease may suffer adverse health effects."

SUMMARY - "The smoking of pipes or cigars is a much less dangerous habit than the smoking of cigarettes, but

it does increase the risk of developing cancer of the mouth, throat, oesophagus and lung above that of

non-smokers." "There is no evidence that other people's smoke is dangerous to healthy non-smokers." "The smoke

from pipes and cigars is at least as irritating as that from cigarettes." "In public places, the right to be free from

smoke should have a higher priority than the right to smoke."

Pipe Dream. Smoking may help prevent Alzheimer's disease, The Economist, Dec. 4, 1993, 329(7840): 88.

CONCLUSION: "Researchers have linked tobacco smoking with a low rate of Alzheimer's disease. One theory

links APOE4, a protein which causes heart problems, with a higher instance of Alzheimer's, which could mean

smokers with high amounts of APOE4 died of heart problems before developing Alzheimer's."

Rodenstein DO, Stanescu DC: Pattern of inhalation of tobacco smoke in pipe, cigarette, and never smokers, Amer

Rev Resp Dis, 1985; 132(3):628-632.

CONCLUSION: "In all but one pipe smoker, breathing and smoking were independent activities and overt

inhalation was prevented by closure of the oropharngeal isthmus during smoking."
So 20 pipes a day inhaling and you're at a the risk of light cigarette smoking. I smoke 2 bowls a day, 3 at the most. Frankly those are statistics I feel comfortable with in choosing to smoke a pipe moderately.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
This study was published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute in June 2004, so it is a bit dated, but nevertheless, here it is:
Study Measures Risks of Exclusive Pipe Smoking
Study measures risks of exclusive pipe smoking
Exclusive pipe smoking carries approximately the same risk of tobacco-associated disease as cigar smoking, according to a new study that is published in the June 2 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
Pipes are the least commonly used tobacco product in the United States, and use has been falling, from 14% in 1965 to 2% in 1991. However, pipe smoking remains common among some populations, such as American Indians, and since 1999, use has been rising among American middle and high school students. Although the associations between smoking and cancer and other diseases have been well studied, few studies have focused on those who smoke pipes exclusively, and those that have were small and not able to consider confounding factors, such as socioeconomic status and alcohol use.
To better estimate the risks associated with exclusive pipe smoking, Jane Henley of the American Cancer Society in Atlanta, and colleagues analyzed data from 138,307 men (15,263 current or former pipe users, and 123,044 men who had never used tobacco products) enrolled in the Cancer Prevention Study II, a prospective cohort study. Over the 18 years after initial data was collected in 1982, 23,589 men died. Based on this follow-up data, the researchers determined the risks of nine cancers (bladder, colon/rectum, esophagus, kidney, larynx, lung, oropharynx, pancreas, and stomach) and three other diseases (coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) in exclusive pipe smokers compared with nonsmokers.
Current pipe smoking was associated with an increased risk of six out of the nine cancers-- colon/rectum, esophagus, larynx, lung, oropharynx, and pancreas--and the three other diseases. The greatest increased risk was for cancers in the larynx, lung, and oropharynx. The risks were smaller than those associated with cigarette smoking but similar to those associated with cigar smoking.
"All tobacco products cause excessive morbidity and mortality," the authors write. "Comprehensively documenting the deleterious health effects of pipe smoking is important in countering efforts by the tobacco industry to promote pipes as a desirable alternative to cigarettes or cigars."
Contact: Taka Wiley, American Cancer Society, 404-417-5860, taka.wiley@cancer.org
Citation: Henley SJ, Thun MJ, Chao A, Calle EE. Association Between Exclusive Pipe Smoking and Mortality From Cancer and Other Diseases. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004;96:853-61.
Note: The Journal of the National Cancer Institute is published by Oxford University Press and is not affiliated with the National Cancer Institute. Attribution to the Journal of the National Cancer Institute is requested in all news coverage. Visit the Journal online at http://jncicancerspectrum.oupjournals.org/.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Interesting and thought provoking post, but I am with the government, tobacco and its accompanying smoke kills, regardless of delivery system.
I do however, believe, pipe smoking is somewhat less a cause, but I also believe cigarette smoke is less harsh then cigars/pipes, no doubt the other chemicals they add make cig smoke far more dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.