PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed400

Lurker
Oct 4, 2017
I am a new pipe smoker, and i only smoke Captain Black, now i wanna give it a shot on Dunhill Royal Yacht, i never smoke English blends, and i only have Dunhill Royal Yacht available where I live. Can someone explain to me what might happen if i smoke it ? I mean what is the worst thing that could happen to you because of a nicotine.
Also please advise me on how English Blends taste like. For me atleast i can not taste the Captain Black, Will the English blends Will be the same?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
how bad nicotine buzz could be
Not worse than a non-capitalized title :)
First of all, Dunhill Royal Yacht is not an English blend but a Virginia and it is a tasty blend. However you will see many members here swearing that they taste nothing while smoking it. I am not sure about the previous productions but the current production of RY doesn't give me a nicotine hit (you have to take into consideration that I used to be a cigarette smoker).
Can someone explain to me what might happen if i smoke it?
If you are that scared, just fill one-third of the bowl and smoke it. Then you can increase the amount of the tobacco in your bowl gradually. Keep a soda handy, if you feel any nausea, sickness, dizziness drink it. The sugar in the soft drink will help you (you can also try chocolates, candies, etc.).
Which Captain Black blend are you smoking? I've smoked Captain Black White and Cherry so far, White was good but Cherry was a disaster. English blends totally taste and smell different than Aromatic blends.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I wouldn't recommend Royal Yacht as a starting point. It's pretty high in nicotine and you may wind up hugging the toilet. I'd recommend going online and buying some Cornell& Diehl Pegasus as your starting point and work your way up from there. Another good one would be Lane Limited HGL which is similar to Captain Black White with some added Latakia.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Royal Yacht has no more nicotine than any other Va. That stated, it is higher than your average pipe blend. It is also, nothing to be afraid of. RY is a tasty pipe tobacco that should be enjoyed, not feared. As with any smoking, drink fluids and make sure your stomach is not empty when smoking, you'll be fine.
As far as what is the worst that could happen? Vomit. One morning I was driving, for work. I drank 4 cups of coffee, no breakfast, and smoked a big bowl of RY. Well, I got the sweats, dizzy and eventually threw up. But, that's the extreme. You'll be fine.
If you coming from the world of aromatics, and going to English Mixes, You should try what are termed as 'crossover blends'. Some that a lot of aro smokers tend to like are:

Frog Morton Cellar

Edward G. Robinson

Mac Baren The Solent Mixture

Boswell's Countryside
These all have aromatic components to them, and tend to appeal to aromatic smokers.
You could go just normal english, but stay lighter:
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
Or, maybe just smoke some good aromatics, that are not Captain Black:
Mac Baren 7 Seas

Mac Baren Halberg

Peter Stokkebye makes several

Boswell's Tobacco has several
Good luck man.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have one tin of Royal Yacht in the cellar (ok crawlspace) that I bought purely because of the polarizing opinions its promotes. I have yet to try it.
That said, there is no reason that you should be weary of trying it, like Javan said just put a little in your bowl.
+1 on the Early Morning Pipe if you want something lighter.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
My first English was Dunhill My Mixture 965. I had been smoking a pipe seriously for 6 months. I say, "seriously" because up until then, I had 1 pipe and would buy a pouch of Captain Black once every 2-3 years and smoke it with miserable results and tongue bite/burn. I eventually figured I need to 'learn' how to smoke a pipe. I set off on my current journey, it's been 2 years now.
That said, my first English was 965. I love it. It's full, but not scary. Give English Mixes a try. I would say.
Others will chime in with their advice.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
RY isn't that bad. Smoke half a bowl, like jvnshr suggested. If you want to know what a nicotine hit feels like, try a Perdomo 20th Ann. maduro or some GLP Haddos Delight. Haddo's was the first blend that gave me the shakes and sweats. I was also a former cigarette smoker.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
RY I would call medium-full, Haddos full, Dark Flake full+, black rope full++ and brown rope full+++. I would smoke anything in the range of full at a half bowl to test your tolerance, first.
Be attentive to your body, and if your stomach or head feels strange, stop immediately or you may need to visit the toilet! Though I love high-mic, it would seem pipe smoking as a gentle art is not about managing nicotine.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
It’s funny how different blends impact people differently. For example, Billy Budd is rated ‘strong’ on Tobacco Reviews as is Five Brothers. - - I get absolutely no nic effect from BB (I do like the taste) but can definitely feel the 5 Brothers. I have no idea why the difference.

I like tobaccos with some kick in the winter. They’re good for walking the dog when it’s freezing cold outside. Get some food on your stomach. A soft drink handy & a soft chair to settle in. You’ll find what baccys work best for your personal physiology.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a good canary for the nicotine sensitive. I tend to like full-strength blends like C&D Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Semois, and such. So I came to Royal Yacht from the other side, and I did not experience much nicotine. I don't smoke for nicotine, though I usually enjoy a little buzz when I encounter it. As the earlier post says, you can smoke a partial bowl, say one-third in a medium size (Group 4) bowl. Or smoke a small pipe, like a little cob or a Peterson Begique, to see how it goes. Even as a nic tolerant guy, I've waded in carefully with rope, for example, just to be sensible. Generally, I smoke for pleasure not thrills. Also, go into a new blend you suspect of being strong with a full meal and plenty of hydration, beverages before and during the bowl. Also, pace the bowl. If you are sensitive, you'll feel negative effects after a few puffs, so don't keep sipping. Lay off and come back tentatively in a few minutes if you feel okay. In this case, the corny pop psychology advice, listen to your body, is useful. In moderation and approached with respect, I doubt Royal Yacht will knock you over. Whether you will like it or not is a different question. I was surprised, not being into aromatics at all at the time, that I really enjoyed it, and I have a tin on hand to eventually enjoy again. perd', thanks for the heads up on Haddo's Delight; I have an unopened tin, so I might sample that one before I dive into a full bowl.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
As suggested Lane Ltd "HGL"is a very mild aromatic English crossover blend, and contains just a little hit of Latakia. It's really "Captain Black" with some Latakia. Try eating before you smoke, and sip a beverage while smoking. Puff the tobacco gently, and relax. If you feel a slight buzz....stop! BTW, you can "cut" any stronger blends with some Black Cavendish, or milder Burleys that have a low nicotine ratings.
Mix some of your "Captain Black" into "Royal Yacht" to dilute the strength of the RY. Figure what your tolerance level for nicotine is, and gradually increase the amount of RY or any other English blends until you create a hybrid blend that works for you. Keep records of what you mix so it can be duplicated. That's how customized mixtures are born.
Have fun.
Frank

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
The worst thing that can happen is that you'll get shaky, dizzy, then vomit, get the spins, and generally feel like shit for the rest of the day.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I echo what 5star said. Blends are going to hit people differently. I can smoke many of the supposedly high-nicotine blends with no unwanted side effects. Halfway through a bowl of Royal Yacht is enough to make me feel like I'm sea sick.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yes, it depends on the types of leaf and proportions (and maybe on other things like PG and other additives), and on how they interplay with the smoker's own body chemistry.
I can drink bourbon no problem, but the same amount of Crown Royal will make me sick. They both have the same colour and the same alcohol percentage, but there's more to it than just proof.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
As for the worst thing that could happen? You could get light headed, black out, and drive your head into the pavement and sustain a concussion. You could throw up & then inhale your own vomit and bring on a serious case of aspiration pneumonia.
So, that’s why I offer the advice about sitting in a nice comfy chair & having a soft drink handy. Go slowly & listen to your body. If you experience unpleasantness, - Stop !
- Mac

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
That is particularly odd ... I have never seen a tobacco shop carrying a single Dunhill blend. Usually if a shop has a contract with the local Dunhill Supplier, they carry the most popular blends if not other stuff as well. And speaking of Royal Yacht, where is my mate Death Metal !? Have you decided on the signature picture we are going to use for our club? It seems we have more "yacht advocates" by the day :lol: :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.