PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
When I started with my pipe it took some trial and error just to load it. (And of coarse still be able to smoke it)(by the way I may be still doing it wrong). So......are there any pipe loading and tamping methods or secrets you would like to share for the newbie?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah Bob has some articles about packing a pipe and he also has some videos up on youtube showing visually how they're done. Really helpful and informative. I myself just use the old three pinch method, but Bob does a great job explaining and demonstrating the other methods and I might eventually try a few of them in time.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Bob's articles on all things pipe related are descriptive, eloquent, while still being concise (no TLDR posts). The videos are the gravy on my sundae.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I recommend the Frank method rather than the incremental packing. I use a lazy man's Frankie, I pretty much just loosely pour baccy into the bowl, shake it a bit so it compresses (no tamping) and repeat if needed until pretty much full or almost full of loosely packed tobacco. Then I take a pinch of baccy, maybe equal to a third or so of the baccy already in the pipe (not very scientific, I just go by feel and am guessing with that number) and fit into the bowl so it's even with the top of the bowl. It always works for me while the incremental packing, tamping, packing always go wrong.
Try to light properly, first a false light to char the top of the tobacco and then let it go out and finally a proper light, move the match (I recommend matches but lighters work) around the top of the bowl and try to get it evenly lit all over.
Regarding tamping I pretty much tamp when I feel like it or when I notice I need to (start to go out too easily). Usually when I tamp the ashes compress a few millimetres and I think that's a decent rate, you'll figure it out with experience.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
1)Buy pipe

2)Buy Tobacco

3)Load Tobacco

4)Light

5)Enjoy Dont worry be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only thing I could add to this discussion is some advice I picked up from Paul Szabady's writing.

For Virginia flakes, if you need to re-light at or past mid-bowl, then gently loosen the top ash layer

and dump it out. This will restore the initial taste of the flake. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.