PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Sorry I've not been on here I awhile, guys -- I've had a number of personal crises, climaxing with the loss of our home two weeks ago in a fire.

As a reporter, I covered hundreds of fires during my career, but nothing can really prepare you for being in the middle of one. My family and I (as well as the assistant caregiver we brought in to help my wife out with our daughter and my illness plus her family) were splitting a huge two level rental house that caught fire about 5 a.m. on the 30th. I cannot stress how close all 7 of us came to dying -- the firefighters were astonished that any of us got out, much less all of us plus our pets! Not a single smoke detector worked, and the house was heavily involved on both floors when we were awakened by the folks in the basement screaming that they were going to die. Another minute or two and none of us would have gotten out, and I still cannot stop thinking about how close my 11year old daughter and wife came to dying (the night before, in fact, we'd had a dozen kids over for her birthday slumber party, which sends chills up my spine whenever I think of what might have happened). Our caregiver suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns and is being treated at Vanderbilt's burn center, but the rest of us suffered comparatively minor burns, cuts, bruises, etc. It was, in a word, horrible but also a miracle at the same time.

The shock has had some time to wear off, and while we will always be grateful for our survival we are nonetheless beginning to take stock of our losses. We will be able to salvage some things because three rooms suffered only smoke, water and heat damage but we've apparently lost our clothes, soft furnishings, all kitchen contents, and perhaps my book collection (which I value more highly than anything else I own). My pipes seem to have made it through the fire okay, even if they all now smell like Latakia (apparently "housefire" is very close to "campfire"). But I DID lose nearly 200 mason jars full of tobacco, much of it vintage and/or well aged favorites! The fire started in the basement, so that part of my "cellar" didn't stand a chance. Worse still, we didn't have renters insurance (my wife let it lapse sometime over the last few months as we've desperately tried to cut pennies from our budget), but I don't suppose it matters when it came to the tobacco since no insurance company is going to pay me $100 for a few ounces of Penzance. The investigators are apparently ruling that it was an accident most likely caused by a cigarette in ment apartment where our caretaker lived, which just goes to show you cannot be too careful!

Oh, well -- as I said, the important thing is that we are alive and have already found a new place to live (it's considerably more modest in every respect, which is just fine since we need to cut costs to get back on our feet). Plus, we obviously don't need as much room as we used to!

Anyhow, enough of my bitching -- things could have been so, so much worse yet through some miracle we came through. Not to be sappy, but give your loved ones a little extra attention and reflect on how much they mean to you, because you could lose each other at any time. Like most guys, I've been guilty of taking them for granted sometimes, but I don't think that will ever be a problem again!

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
I'm sad to hear about your house. I hope that everything works out quick and smoothly for you and your family

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I'm really sorry that you had to go through this. You will endure. It really puts our petty concerns in perspective. God Bless.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This is just awful. So wonderful though, that no one perished. I can't imagine your mixed emotions, but it seems that you're dealing with this horrendous tragedy with amazing grace.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Sorry for your losses and happy to hear everyone is OK. You seem to have a positive outlook on life for everything that had happene, good to see.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Wow, terrible news! Glad you are all safe though. I hope your able to coble your life back together. Your in my prayers!

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Glad you all made it out, that had to be a very surreal feeling watching everything you own disappear. Again so glad everyone is alright.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
This is a tragedy that I have been through with my family so I have a pretty good idea what you're going through. Good to hear you all are ok and I hope you are able to move past his quickly.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
That's terrible, @doctorhoss. Good thing everyone made it out mostly unscathed. Real bummer about the insurance, it's one of those things you pay for and hope you never need it.
If you shoot me your address via PM I would be glad to send you some of my cellar. Just let me know what kind of blends you're into so I don't waste space in the package with unnecessary tobacco.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
A terrible loss and a great blessing at the same time that you are all okay! Hopefully only good things are in your future for a while.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Such a setback in property loss, but such a miracle in renewal of lives. Praise for the second part. I hope the devastation of loss heals over time. Keep us posted as things hopefully improve for you. Let's all buy new fire extinguishers to make something good of this bad experience.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm glad you and your family escaped with just property damage. A couple of grandparents died in a fire in their Annapolis home this past Christmas season - and their 4 grandchildren along with them.
Pax

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
My pipes seem to have made it through the fire okay, even if they all now smell like Latakia (apparently "housefire" is very close to "campfire"
I must admit, that made me chuckle--love your spirit.
but we've apparently lost our clothes, soft furnishings, all kitchen contents, and perhaps my book collection (which I value more highly than anything else I own).
What are these "book" things you speak of? Buy a Kindle and restock at half prices!
But I DID lose nearly 200 mason jars full of tobacco, much of it vintage and/or well aged favorites!
OK, don't have an answer for this one, but shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to send you Schurch tins and Synjeco blends from Switzerland. You can start the journey afresh with some new blends!
Seriously, glad to hear you and your family made it out OK. Remember, the things you lost are just "things." Things are replaceable. Lives aren't . Prayers and thoughts with you.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hey Hoss. This might be a little late or maybe not.
You might want to call the rectory at the nearest local Catholic Parish and ask if they have St.Vincent de Paul chapter. They'll be happy to assist with critical dry goods and can help you coordinate your recovery with other groups. You don't have to be Catholic to get assistance and helping folks out in need is why they exist.
Good luck and God bless.
Pax
PS - Glad your pipes survived.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
While tragic news, it is amazing your family survived. Thoughts and prayers will be with you.
Like several of the others have asked, PM me with your address and I'll see what I can gather for you to start your cellar again.
-John :puffy:

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Saddening story of loss but amazing news that you and your family members survived. Sending my prayers across the pond to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.