House Blends? Big name Blends? Same/Indifferent?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdubguy18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2012
So I have been reading today and keep seeing how local B&M's carry other "Big name" blends, however, they call it something else.
Curious as to how this works...is it an exact blend of the other or just the same flavors/tastes?
For instance 1Q was mentioned and how some local B&M's could have it yet call it something else.
Edwards Tobacco is my local B&M here in Tampa. So now I'm curious that is it really a "house blend" or just renamed for Edwards. Like I have read alot about Boswell's aro's to be both flavorful and have great room notes. Now are those Boswell onlys?
Because my goal is to continue ordering more tobacco. However, if I am able to place a order with say P&C or Smoking Pipes will I be able to meet most needs? This is geared towards bulk/house blends as I am attempting to setup my bucket list. Hoping to be able to get most everything desired in one order. However, due to supply at each etailer/local B&M I see this to be difficult. But I want to make the best orders possible and make use of the free shipping when available.
So far I have tried 2 aro's from Edwards. Then I ordered 6- 1oz samples from Milan Tobacco as I had read some good things about some of the aro's they have. But my recent order was from Pipeinhand in which I got some of tobacco to try out. As well as 1Q and Mississippi River from P&C. So far the only tinned tobacco I have tried was Orlik's Golden Slice.
So I have Boswell on my list of tobacco to try. But I want to ensure that I am not essentially ordering the same thing with different name from a different dealer. Also a blend called Hobits Weed from a place out of Colorado, but I can not recall who the dealer was at the moment.
Thanks!

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Any reputable retailer should tell you if they are re-selling 1-Q, IF and only if you ask them!

Boswell's isn't selling repackaged Lane blends, although I suspect they use some Lane products as blending components. Their stuff is usually good, especially if you like aromatics.

vdubguy18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2012
Good to know! I will be sure to ask more questions as now I know what I should be doing. I understand using some components of a major manufacture o create the blends. However I was under the impression that a "house blend" would be a creation of that B&M.

vdubguy18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2012
I think I'm going to try some English blends over the aromatics as I keep seeing people say the flavor I there.

vdubguy18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2012
Lot of it is stuff blended by Lane and Altadis. Boswell blends his own.
That settles that...at least with Boswells. Looks like it will be my next order long with some English. Thanks for all the replies!!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'd say more often than not "house blends" are repackaged these days unless you can get a reliable confirmation from the company that they are originals.
Especially if we are talking about a suburban tobacconist that nobody's heard of, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.