PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Late afternoon I’ve been taking the time to light up a bowl, sit on the front porch and relax. The weather has been beautiful lately, but yesterday it was quite hot and on the humid side. Mind you, I was sitting in the shade. I’m getting a tad old, but I’m not senile yet.
Anyway, I had a bowl of Dunhill Flake and some iced tea and it was absolutely lousy (the pipe, not the tea). Hard to explain, but not much taste to the tobacco and just plain simply a lousy experience. I don’t know, maybe just my mood at the time, or could it have been the hot humid weather? Even hotter here today (90’s), and much more humid. Skipping the pipe today as I just don’t feel like smoking inside, and I’ll be damned if I’ll do so outside after the experience from yesterday. Anyone else experience an unpleasant smoke because of hot weather?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
After living in South Texas and Bahrain I have a low tolerance for anything in the 90s or above. I'm just glad it isn't humid in Colorado.
I totally understand, it just isn't fun or relaxing sitting in the shade and still sweating your ass off. What about a fan to at least move the air around a bit? Obviously not pointed at your face.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I sat in my garage this afternoon for my mid-day pipe, as it was hot and humid on the porch. Much cooler in the garage, at least for now. Soon it will likely be just an early morning smoke and possibly a late evening smoke until Autumn comes.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I've noticed a few tobacco companies make blends for hot weather. While I haven't tried any specifically for that reason, it makes sense. Not sure if their efforts are in vain though. It's usually not too bad around my way, if anything I have days that it's too cold to smoke. Still, we can get in the mid 90's in the dead of summer and it certainly doesn't help the mood.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
It's hard to say it sounds appealing to suck smoke from something smoldering on a hot day. I know when I smoked cigs I never smoked during the day, especially in the summer. I just didn't find it all that appealing. I much prefer to smoke when it's cooler.
I'll see how things go this next few months with the pipe since it will be the first summer I'll have been smoking a pipe, but something tells me it wont be different. I know just from smoking on warmer spring nights, that I much prefer Latakia when it's cooler out. I'm going to have to wait to try some blends I've been excited to sample till Fall.
Guess I better wear lots of "bus repellent".

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I smoke more cigars than usual in summer. They're much more enjoyable. Someone here pointed out last summer that it makes sense, since they were created and are still made in countries that are always hot and humid. If I had the money, I'd practically take a two month leave from pipes, but that would be a lot of cigars.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
After the long harsh winter we've had I'm in no way complaining about the heat. As a matter of fact, I've told several of my friends that if they should ever hear me complaining about the heat this summer to promptly give me a good swift kick in the ass. Granted, it was quite hot and certainly not conducive to relaxing, but it was the first time that I noticed the tobacco I was smoking (a blend I really like)had seemed to lose any semblance of taste whatsoever. Maybe it was simply just a matter of mind over matter in not really being relaxed, but I somehow felt that the heat may have possibly had some bearing on the pipe, and or the tobacco itself. Well, we have about three more days like this coming here, and certainly more in the future so time tell out.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I smoke my all-day pipes when working outside, but with uncomplicated tobacco. I couldn't sit outside in the evening and smoke a more complex blend. That type of pipesmoking, for me, is strictly an indoor activity regardless of season. I find that I get the most from the blend in a mild, indoor temp without wind or discomfort. Doing so allows me to really concentrate on the nuances of the blend, relax, and let the blend take my taste buds wherever it pleases.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I smoke my all-day pipes when working outside, but with uncomplicated tobacco. I couldn't sit outside in the evening and smoke a more complex blend. That type of pipesmoking, for me, is strictly an indoor activity regardless of season. I find that I get the most from the blend in a mild, indoor temp without wind or discomfort. Doing so allows me to really concentrate on the nuances of the blend, relax, and let the blend take my taste buds wherever it pleases.
Just exactly what is an 'uncomplicated tobacco'? Ya really got me lost on that one. Guess I’m a pretty simple basic down to earth old fart and tobacco is not ‘complicated’ to me. I either like it, or not. But hey... that’s just me. :wink:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Hey, there is no law that says we have to smoke our pipes every single chance we get. It was hot here today and another thread along this similar vein had me thinking, (that's a scary thing) and I loaded a small bowl up with some SG Squadron Leader. It's been in a jar for several weeks and I felt like something substantially less in the Latakia dept and it hit all the right buttons for me as I enjoyed it poolside today. I am another proponent of smoking a good cigar when the hot, sticky weather shows up and it's something I cannot ever get away with in the house so why not take advantage of what's being dealt? As the sun sets and the evening air cools, I can still slip in a bowl of Nightcap or some such before retiring. Gotta love the Summer weather especially after what we've had for a Winter.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Just exactly what is an 'uncomplicated tobacco'? Ya really got me lost on that one. Guess I’m a pretty simple basic down to earth old fart and tobacco is not ‘complicated’ to me. I either like it, or not. But hey... that’s just me.

Sure, Phil. For me, an uncomplicated tobacco would be a simple cased burley. Lately I've been enjoying Classic Burley Kake. But Mac Baren's various burleys have featured prominently in my daytime rotations. Angler's Dream is another go-to blend for me, along with Carter Hall. Please note that "uncomplicated" is not a bad word, as your response implies. I enjoy many things that are relatively uncomplicated. In fact, I grow my own food and meat right here on my farm, so I imagine your description of yourself as "simple down to earth" is all relative :) I also heat my house with wood from my own trees, live without air conditioning, and service my own vehicles and equipment. Down to earth enough?
By contrast, I would describe a more complex blend as one of my favored VaPers, or my more recent interest, American English blends. For some it might mean a heavy English or whatever blend strikes their fancy. These definitions are, of course, all relative and a matter of taste. But few could dispute that the cold beer cracked open at the end of a hot summer's day matches the complexity of a Grand Cru Bordeaux. Cheers.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I had a really rough day at work, so I wanted my pipeful tonight. I was not going outside in the heat. I smoked a bowl of Butternut Burley from the comfort of my recliner.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I had the same feeling today Phil. Right outside of Philadelphia it was about 80 something with a LOT of humidity by 9a. I wanted a pipe but couldn't do it. I don't like being in the humidity. Looks like I will be taking up residence in the garage again to smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think erichbaumer is referring to the G L Pease article, "The Blends Of Summer", from May, 2011
...it’s when summer arrives in full battle regalia, on those sultry, humid days that make me feel as though I’m being held prisoner in a greenhouse, that I’m disinclined to smoke anything at all, and when I do have the urge, I’ll generally reach for a cigar. Cigars were made in and for this kind of weather, so they seem a natural fit. I’ve never quite figured out why pipes and hot, humid weather don’t work well for me, but it’s been true for as long as I can remember, and because of this, for most of my piping years, I’ve rarely touched a pipe in the hottest of weeks. That all changed one miserably sweltering, muggy day in July or August of 2008, shortly after the release of Key Largo.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Sure, Phil. For me, an uncomplicated tobacco would be a simple cased burley. Lately I've been enjoying Classic Burley Kake. But Mac Baren's various burleys have featured prominently in my daytime rotations. Angler's Dream is another go-to blend for me, along with Carter Hall. Please note that "uncomplicated" is not a bad word, as your response implies. I enjoy many things that are relatively uncomplicated. In fact, I grow my own food and meat right here on my farm, so I imagine your description of yourself as "simple down to earth" is all relative [:)] I also heat my house with wood from my own trees, live without air conditioning, and service my own vehicles and equipment. Down to earth enough?
By contrast, I would describe a more complex blend as one of my favored VaPers, or my more recent interest, American English blends. For some it might mean a heavy English or whatever blend strikes their fancy. These definitions are, of course, all relative and a matter of taste. But few could dispute that the cold beer cracked open at the end of a hot summer's day matches the complexity of a Grand Cru Bordeaux. Cheers.
OK, I somewhat get the gist of what you're saying. I'm not all that crazy about Carter Hall, but I do on occasion like a bowl of Prince Albert. Can't get any more uncomplicated than that. :wink: As a matter of fact, that might not be a bad idea if I really feel the urge to smoke a bowl outside when it's very uncomfortable in lieu of smoking inside. I have the luxury of being able to do so, but after being cooped up inside with this past and very oppressive long winter I find myself with this insistent need to take advantage of the summer months ,which seems to get shorter and shorter with age, to avail myself to the advantage and short lived pleasure of enjoying a bowl outside. Possibly also something more 'simple', as it were, such as OGS or Dunhill Royal Yacht (just my opinion off the top of my head). I could mention some aro's that I used to smoke, but to me that is akin to nothing more than sucking in air through a straw as they leave me flat with absolutely no taste whatsoever any longer. I'm not much of a cigar smoker any more, but I might just possibly give them a try again on occasion.

owen

May 28, 2014
great thread

I dont have too much of a problem with weather conditions but must say im more inclinded to smoke my cob on a hot day rather than my more heavy briar as it just does not seem to work. Also as I try new tobacco I often make a note to try it again in the winter, on a cold evening or even as a morning smoke all these factors certainly come in to play for me, and is what I find most enjoyable about pipe smoking.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I hear ya Phil. I am lucky in that northern VT doesn't usually get too hot - most days during the summer average around 75. However, we always have a week or 2 where it reaches the upper 80s and it can be hot and humid. On those days, I smoke in my basement where it's considerably cooler.
A hot humid day takes all the fun out of a smoke for me.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Cortez, that's it. I thought a member had said that in a comment, but that article is definitely what I was remembering. I think I just happened to read it last summer, or maybe someone referenced it. Who knows. Good memory, it's certainly better than mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.