PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Recently while working on an estate Jost pipe purchase (a smooth billiard) I was dissatisfied with the appearance of the finish after applying both Dunhill Pipe Bowl Polish and Walker Briar Works Carnauba Wax Polish /Sealer, and then subsequently hand-rubbing and then buffing each at slow speed. The pipe felt slick, but the grain lacked the depth that I desired, and appeared flat.
On Saturday last the Postman brought an advertisement for a local car-wash which was trumpeting their new-formula hot wax. This gave me an idea, and so I applied a heavy coat of the Walker Carnauba Wax Polish/Sealer, let it dry, and then thoroughly heated the pipe's bowl with my hair-dryer. After this the pipe's grain still looked dull and flat, but when I hand-rubbed it, the grain came alive with a deep sheen. This was what I was seeking!
I have since tried this method on my shell and rusticated pipes, and find that it works equally as well. For polishing I substitute a tooth-brush for the chamois or buffer.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I use block Carnuaba wax and a buffer, but also use a heat gun on rusticated pipes to smooth out the wax that collects in the low spots.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Having had good experiences with unfinished pipes (that age and gain finish with smoking) I tend to be reluctant to add

wax and additional coatings to briar. A good rigorous polishing with a soft cloth after each smoke is my ritual. But if it

works for you, it's good. It certainly makes a pipe more shiny. A little wear that is clean and well polished is an alternative

way of going.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
This is a great trick that I have actually been doing for long time now. And you guys are right this is the best way to do rustic pipes.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I use beeswax and a hairdryer on low to melt the wax on the bowl, then polish. I usually have to reheat a few times to get even coverage and get the excess that may collect in the crags of a rusticated pipe, sometimes I have to use a very soft toothbrush. Beeswax gives a better sheen and seems to last longer than the cold polishes, and is fairly cheap if you have any apiarists at your local farmers market.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
For rusticated pipes, try a horse hair buff...http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/otherwheels.php It works great on rusticated and sandblasted....

Jan 8, 2013
Wow! I just tried this with Paragon wax on my St Patty 2013 Peterson. These pipes don't come with a high gloss finish, and are a bit dull, although they still look nice. But I've been putting a little paragon on this pipe recently trying to slowly get it to a glossier finish. I removed the stem, because I didn't like the idea of trying this with the stem in (I'm afraid to bend it or close up the draft hole). I put a pretty generous amount of paragon on the pipe and let it sit and dry for about 20 minutes. Of course by then the wax had dried out significantly, and I was beginning to doubt my choice. I turned the hair dryer on high and heated the pipe up and then engulfed the whole pipe in a microfiber cloth and rubbed vigorously. And then for good measure I heated the pipe again, and rebuffed. I'm surprised and amazed at the results. The pipe is now quite shiny, and glossy, and I'm assuming a few more coats done the same way might even achieve a mirror like finish. Hunter, I think you're definitely on to something. :)

cdsmith

Lurker
Nov 22, 2012
I like to use coconut oil. It's in a paste form in the jar but melts at temps above 24 °C (76 °F), which makes it easy to apply and rub out.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
huntertrw: There is no flavor imparted to the pipe really. Sometimes if I heavily apply and immediately smoke the pipe, I will get a faint smell of beeswax when I first light and the pipe gets a little warm, but thats only lasts a minute or two. If its been a few days since the polishing, there is no smell.

Jan 8, 2013
I just had to bump this topic because it's really improved my waxing.
I've put a few more coats of paragon, heated, and buffed the Peterson a few times since my last post above, and I'm very pleased with the results. My St. Patty's Day 2013 pipe has now a shine on par with my shiniest of pipes. After applying the wax, the whole process takes only a few short minutes. At first, after heating, the wax is hard and you have to rub the pipe in the cloth to smooth it out a bit to where the cloth moves freely, after that you just buff the heck out of it with quick motions and your done. I follow up with a second heating for good measure and then turn the cloth over to the smoother side and repeat the buffing. After several applications the pipe is not tacky feeling, it is very smooth and has an exceptional gloss. Hunter, I'm glad you started this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.