PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I was just reading some of the comments in another thread in which homemade cold remedies and hit toddies were mentioned; Josh gave a recipe that sounded rather unsavory (still wondering exactly how he got his analogy …). Anyway, not wanting to hijack that thread further and it being peak cold and flu season, I wanted to ask what are some of your tried and true remedies and toddy recipes?
I used to use a a shot of bourbon in a hot cup of tea with some honey, sometimes lemon, too, and it seemed to work well. But I remember a friends mother who simmered various "things" with lemon slices and topped with Canadian whiskey that tasted and seemed to work very well. She's long left us and I can't recall the ingredients to save my life, or take the edge off a cold for that matter!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Greg down home in cajun country the old people made their own cough remedy, baking soda,whiskey and honey they would put it on a space heater to warm up The old cajun

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I use a concoction my grandpa showed me when I was a boy. Heat a can of cola or cola syrup, two pinches of cayenne pepper, one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, two tablespoons of honey and the fresh juice of half of a lemon in a pan for about two minutes on low heat. When it startes to reduce add two shots of whiskey and continue to heat for another minute. Poor into a big mug and sip. It has always done the trick for me.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Greg this was for a bad cough wasn"t supposed to taste good, what you remember is a hot toddy, similar to robusts remedy, the old folks used whatever they had even remember cloves being used, they didn"t always have lemons but they always had whiskey LOL. The old cajn

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I thought a hot toddy was just like a cider drink with whiskey or bourbon. Like a hot winter drink. I didn't know it was for colds!
Now I want to be sick :P
I think a hot tea and bourbon concoction could be pretty good!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 bubble, here in the mountains of Western NC, an ex sheriff used to carry shine in his trunk, for medicinal purposes only(really), for older folks. & thats what they use still today for ailments.

Another taht works is Rock & Rye w/ lemon.

With "Jewish Penicillin "

Status
Not open for further replies.