PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016

How many of you live in a part of the world that is graced with much direct sunlight, and thus very hot days? Where I live in Texas these days it over 90F before morning tea, and I can't smoke indoors. Anybody in the same boat as me?

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I live in an area (CO) that gets more sun than Miami and at 6000ft elevation, the sun is a little more intense. Usually as the sun starts going down the wind kicks up.
IMO, Texas is a great state.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Same here. I usually enjoy a bowl around 7 am. Maybe in the evening if I'm really lucky.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Leacha: Texas has it's pros and cons, but I long to live in Idaho again. That is true freedom and peace up there.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
What part of Texas? You have at least two different weather conditions - Hot and Dry and Hot and Wet. Which one are you?
I was born in Port Arthur, spend most of my youth in the Golden Triangle (Beaumont, Port Arthur and Orange) so I know how miserable it gets down there. SE Louisiana is not any better.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Pappy: on the coast south of Houston. South west of Galveston. I reside in the heart of the Hot and Wet.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Whew, the Houston area weather will take it right out of you. We lived in Plano for a year, I really enjoyed it, but ultimately I would have to agree with travelergypsy. Idaho would be fantastic. Northern NM, AZ, CO, UT, as well, man there is some beautiful country out there.
Ultimately every area has its good and bad. I am in MN again, not bad, love the trees, hills, and lakes, but I hate the winters.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
N. CA- lucky enough to get a breeze off the delta which usually cools down our nights to the mid 60's, then may hit 95 on many a day... I feel very fortunate.

nightrider

Lurker
Dec 29, 2015
Lived in Cypress and along the coastal area for over 20 years. I remember it seemed at times of sweating in the mornings before the sun came up. Of course this was due to the humidity. Now i'am retired in Rionegro, Colombia and the hottest it gets is around 80 degs and in the lower 50's at night. The apartments and houses over here do not have central heat or A/C. I am not missing the summers in Texas. But I do miss the Tex-Mex food.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Count me in the same boat as you. I live in Austin, TX and I'm very sensitive to the freaking heat. I have fans set up around my garage to create a vortex but it makes lighting my pipe a pain in the rear. I'm actually out walking my dog right now and I'm sweaty and sticky and annoyed (I'm constantly annoyed in the Texas heat). I'm pretty upset because we never really got a break from this damn heat, as we really didn't have a winter this year! I rarely smoke Latakia blends this time of year either, just too heavy. For whatever reason my go to, everyday smoke this summer has been Old Joe Krantz but I mainly stick to VA/VaPer's, Lakeland's and Burley's in the heat. Glad I'm not the only one subject to this inhuman treatment.
I'm really not that miserable of a guy... I have just never gotten used to the heat, I grew up in Flagstaff, AZ where it stayed nice and cold for most of the year, the summers it got up into the 80's... I'm gonna go inside and daydream of Flagstaff now.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I live in Texas (central part of the state), and just smoke indoors when it gets hot until the evening cools things off a bit. Why don't you guys just smoke indoors until it gets cooled down a bit in the evenings? I never heard of true Texas men getting the boot outside the comfort of their own dadgum home when they want to light up, so, surely your women folk aren't the answer. :wink:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Fun fact:
The high temp record list for each state doesn't read the way most people would guess.
The desert states---AZ, Nevada, New Mexico, and California (Death Valley is in CA)---are the top four, of course, but #5???
Beuller? Beuller? Anyone? Anyone?
Would you believe North Dakota? :lol:
Yep. 121F in July of 1936
Still more fun fact... One of the half-dozen coldest temps ever recorded in the lower 48---60F below zero, actual---occurred five months earlier, in February of '36, in the same part of the state.
Can you imagine how confused the farm animals were that year? A 180 degree temperature swing is pretty crazy, even for the Great Plains.

Sep 18, 2015
I'm in Austin as well, I can deal with the heat. About a third to a half of my work ends up being outside so I'm pretty much used to it. I'm also lucky enough to have two very large pecan trees that cover the entire back yard and a good part of the house and with a slight breeze it feels about 15 degrees cooler, and of Course my woman knows better than to say anything if I choose to light up in the house!

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Why don't you guys just smoke indoors until it gets cooled down a bit in the evenings?
I live in an apartment complex, and they frown on smoking indoors. Also, my wife doesn't care too much for the smell of smoke on everything. She's extrodinarily good to me, so the least I can do is smoke outside. :)

Dec 28, 2015
I will put the heat and humidity in Mississippi up against any location. Luckily I have a screened in porch with ceiling fan, tv and stereo turntable which helps but you definitely have to wait for the right time of day to enjoy an outdoor smoke. But I still love it here.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
About a third to a half of my work ends up being outside so I'm pretty much used to it

I think I have some sort of medical issue... I don't know why I don't acclimate to the weather? I worked in the Pflugerville post office for 7 years and I'm still not used to it. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.