PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I got a new pipe that I'm currently breaking it in. I noticed that the pipe would not be hot at all yet the smoke coming into my mouth is... Any insights on what's going on? Is this a "bad" pipe?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It all depends. Is this a pipe that uses a filter? If so, have you removed it? If so, that's not to say that you should or should not, but I personally dislike them and I never use them on any of my filter enabled pipes. If perchance it's a filter pipe and you are not using it more often than not you can get a filter insert which replaces the filter to give a somewhat 'tighter' draw. In lieu of that, either use the proper filter, or try cutting a pipe cleaner in half, then folding it in half and place it in the stem to see if that helps. If it does, and you don't mind using the proper sized filter for that pipe than by all means use one. As time goes on I've learned what pipes that I own have a very open draw due to my not using the filter and compensate accordingly to how I 'draw' on the pipe.
By the way... exactly what pipe do you have that's giving you this problem and perhaps the problem can be better addressed by me or others here.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
@phil67, the pipe is a Brigham with their maple filter (I have one inserted). I found it at a Tobacco shop downtown Toronto and its unlike any other Brigham I've seen on their website. The guy in the shop referred to it as a "Production" Pipe (Does this mean anything to you?). I've included a couple of pictures :).
IMG_0548_zps3nhjkwin.jpg

IMG_0545_zpsifcoa6pu.jpg

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Filter pipes are made anticipating the obstruction caused by the filter. If you smoke them without the filter or without a non-filter adapter they can "over draw". If you don't like the filter I suggest you get a non-filter adapter. You can find them on Ebay in 6 or 9 mm sizes, whichever your pipe calls for. They are a tube that inserts into the space where the filter usually goes and cost a couple or three dollars a piece. Personally I don't like filters so I replace them with the adapter in my Savinelli and Danish Stanwell pipes and I don't have that problem. Try it, for a few bucks it may solve your problem. By the way it also make the filter chamber much easier to keep clean.

Mar 1, 2014
Pipes smoke just fine without the filter.

Oddly enough Vauen uses one of the smallest draft holes I've seen, and they don't make a pipe without a 9mm filter slot.

(Even with the tight draft I love their pipes, great fit and good engineering, not Briarworks good but on par with Savinelli.)

Status
Not open for further replies.