PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I'm kinda new at smoking a pipe. I've been smoking a pipe consistantly (1 or 2 times daily) for about 3 weeks now I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it, except for this one pipe. it's a new Bjarne Viking Classic and I swear this pipe is contrary as hell. No matter what type of tobacco I put in it, either it smokes hot as hell, or it won't freaking stay lit beyond a few puffs. Maybe it's me, but I wonder. None of the rest of my pipes behave like this one, they are all pretty well behaved and smoke as I would expect. The Bjarne Viking will start at "won't stay lit" so I puff on it to get a good cherry, and then its goes straight to "hot to touch" so I slow down to a sip and the damn thing dies after 2 or 3 light puffs, very frustrating. This is a fairly new pipe, do you think it might be the lack of cake in the bowl?

Do you think the hole may be to small?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. Some pipes are blend dependent at times. Flakes may be great in a pipe that can't handle ribbons very well. When many of hear your issue the first thing we tend to focus on is packing. Some blends can be packed tightly while others demand a looser pack.

What are you smoking? That could help us with further advice....maybe. I have a Charatan that is a big nice pipe that no matter what I do will get very hot. Sometimes that's how things go.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Have you considered that perhaps it's your attitude? Sometimes pipes do such things out of spite. Treat them nice, baby them, whisper sweet nothings, maker her feel wanted and appreciated and it'll all be good.

:wink:

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Mainly aromatics here lately (Admirals Choice Vanilla Cav, SG Celtic Talisman, 4 Noggins Trout Stream, Lord Methley's, etc.), just because I loved the smell. Although in some different pipes I started smoking some VaPers and english blends which I am starting to like more and more.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
iaman8, I am pretty new at this and I had thought of that, maybe I was just puffing to hard or trying to hard, not sure though. If that was the case though, then why don't I have the same problem with my other pipes? Also, I worry about damaging the pipe when it gets hot like that.Maybe ur right and she's special and I just need to baby her. Right now I am abit frustrated with her though, so she's gonna have to cool her heel in the rack for a few days.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm still new at this also. I've bought some pricey pipes which will remain purely decorative until I've worked out the kinks in my meathod. I always watch threads like this for advice on technique. That said, it seems the more I think about it the worse it gets. My best packed well light bowls always occurs when it's an afterthought. Weird.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hi Mark, and welcome to the forum. If it's any comfort, we've all been in the same place. Let me suggest a light English, packed rather loosely by the 3 step method. No guarantee, but see how it works. Also, make sure the tobacco is a bit dry side when you pack the pipe – – perhaps leaving it out for 15 minutes before packing might help.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Thanks for the good advice. It probably does have something to do with my packing method, I will continue to work on it.

All good advise given on this thread. Also, try smoking very very slow. My problem when I first started using a pipe was shaking the cigar/cigarette mentality of puffing. Slow smoking gives you the best flavors, it doesn't waste all of the vitamin N and flavors into the air, and you can absorb more of the good stuff through the small blood vessels in you mouth by giving it time. Think "Savoring" swishing that glorious goodness around in your mouth, like savoring a fine wine, taking in all of the nuances. It took me a while, but I am enjoying my pipes much more than I did in the beginning. And, when I do fire up a stogie, I tend to make it last a few hours as opposed to the forty five minutes that I used to burn through those things. And, my smallest pipe will last me almost an hour, whereas my bigger pipes last almost two hours.
I know, I know, it's frustrating when I kept hearing people tell me to slow down, when I thought that I was already smoking slower. Now, my best smokes come from never consciously puffing after I get the cherry burning in the center of the bowl, just letting it drizzle into my mouth. A few good puffs, and then letting it just passively burn.
But, there are no rules, This was just my experience. But, it's worth it to try something new if you're having heat issues. And, then just do what gives you the most pleasure.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
If your tobacco is way too moist it will smoke hot in your bowl and you will struggle to keep it lit. And it will bite your tongue too.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My first two briars were Bjarne Viking Classics, and I did find that the draft holes were pretty tight. I used a 5/32" drill bit and a pair of vise-grip pliers to open mine up by hand (very gently), and while I still get the occasional gurgle in cold weather, they've both improved greatly as a result.
I would definitely work on packing technique as well, however. I actually intentionally packed too tight for a few days just to get a sense of what packing too tight "felt" like, smoking-wise. Then I tried packing too loosely for a few days, and then experimented with various techniques to find ones that got me into the "Goldilocks zone" - three-step, two-step, twist and rotate, Frank Method, and so forth. For me personally, the twist method is fairly reliable and I think I've finally gotten the hang of the Frank Method after watching videos on YouTube... There's a link on the left side of the page (Tobacco Pipe Packing Methods - Part 2 (Videos)) that is quite helpful.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
cosmicfolklore, it sounds like I definitely need to slow down then. And phred the twisting that you were talking about and the Frank method, i will have to look into those, probly Youtube videos?

Jorgesoler, you describe much of what I'm experiencing, so to much moisture may also be playing a part.

Good advice, still learning, thanks to all.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
If you want to have a good smoking experience, trust me, let your tobacco dry a bit after you open the tin. The idea is you let it dry until you pinch it and it does not clump together.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Oh yeah, I have been smoking my baccy way to wet. Hell I usually keep a couple of pipe cleaners nearby to clean and dry out the stem as it starts gurgling. I thought all of the moisture was probly coming from me, but it sounds like I've been smoking my tobacco to moist.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
From my post in the dup thread:

Sounds to me like it's not broken in. Also sounds like a technique problem. Don't try so hard. You should be sipping when you light, too Char light, tamp, true light - all slowly. Don't worry about relights, it's part of breaking in. Take your time. Slow down. And, btw, did I say slow down? [:puffy:] Good luck!

You're also smoking some very low-end aros - Admiral's Choice, for example. That's got a lot to do with it. Drug-store aros are loaded with chemicals to keep them fresh. They are never going to dry out, and they are going to smoke hot. Try one of your better quality aros in there.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The videos are available on YouTube, but the link takes you to a page here on the Pipes Magazine site that has them embedded, all in a nice row where you can find them again easily. The linked videos cover the Stuff and Puff method, the Three Step method, the Frank method, the Air Pocket method, the Two Step method, and a hybrid called the "Bob method".
Tobacco Pipe Packing Methods part 2 (videos)
The twisting method isn't covered there, but the video is out there on YouTube.
A Guide to the New Pipe Smoker

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
That is probably the worst possible way to fill your pipe up. As you roll your tobacco in, it gets pressed in the centre and loose on the edges. It is supposed to be the other way around, that is, loose at the centre and pressed on the edges. Also, the guy is lighting his pipe at an angle, and this will char his rims.
How to Fill your Pipe like a Pro

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Everyone has valid answers - sometimes after a few bowls a little cake begins to form and that should help keep the pipe cooler. That and smoke slower and dry your baccy out as others have already said. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.