PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I decided to revisit my stash of Motzek Strang today and this time was magic, I had that perfect smoke. Does anyone here know how to obtain more and would others want to go in on a group buy if we can get a hold of some? It's a heavenly VaPer with a good hit of nicotine.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Is this a joke? Is someone around the corner watching?
A Strang group buy was discussed. It turned into a meltdown. Mr. Motzek is retiring and rumor has it that there may be one more run of the stuff before he hangs his hat.
I would not worry about a group buy and just try and get your hands on some yourself if you like it that much.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I was almost afraid to respond :rofl:
I debated it for about 3 minutes. I kept looking over my shoulder to see if the guys from "Funniest Videos" were gonna jump out.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Rumors are still alive about a final batch that is still curing/drying before it can be sold. It is a great smoke and in my top 5; I've been slowly rationing it to make it last because my gut tells me that this may well be the end of the blend.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well, shit! Nope, no joke, I'm dead serious. Sorry, I didn't mean to bring up your bad Strang memories, I have obviously not seen that thread. In my two months posting here it never came up but now I've got to see it as I'm sure that would be a fun thread to read. You all can breath now.

It is a bummer to fall in love with a tobacco that is going out of production. I'm sorry. Rotten luck. But, at the same time, the first time I ever saw anyone post anything about Strang was just a few months ago, first time I ever heard of it, so all of us that tried that blend and loved it are just passing that ship in the night.

I did get a chance to set aside a little for future use, but not nearly as much as I would like to have. But, oh well.

Condor is another one. I just tried that one recently, loved it, and the. I hear that they will stop making it. Moral to the story is to buy as much as you can afford of what you like, because it might not be around for long. Or, just learn to deal with rejection, maybe. Ugg, I wish that I could afford to avoid rejection of all blends that I try and like.
All in all, we are lucky to have tried it, and we have the stories to remember it by.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Cosmic, I agree. It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. Part of me wishes I never tried it in the first place though. Either way, we have a lot of stellar blends crurrently in production, so it's really no big whoop. Anyone have a link to the train wreck Strang thread?

If you do like the Strang, and by no means is there anything just like it out there, but for something that at least falls within the same solar system, try Dan's Ropers Roundels. It has a subtle sweet, spice hint in the same way I get from Strang, but not exact by any means. But, I think that you'd find it delicious nonetheless.

Hats off for dear ol Strang...
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/97411/dan-tobacco-ropers-roundels/

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Here you go hawky454...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/strang-group-buy-interest-thread
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/motzek-strang-group-buy-update

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I vaguely remember that thread. That was the one where this forum drove a cottage industry tobacconist into retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.