PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
No one has mentioned it here yet, but this made the newspapers today:
"Rotting teeth and gums. Diseased lungs. A sewn-up corpse of a smoker. Cigarette smoke coming out of the tracheotomy hole in a man's neck.
Cigarette packs in the U.S. will have to carry these macabre images in nine new warning labels that are part of a campaign by the Food and Drug Administration to use fear and disgust to discourage Americans from lighting up.
The labels, announced on Tuesday, represent the biggest change in cigarette packs in the U.S. in 25 years."
Since the gov't can mandate putting warning labels on cigarette packs, I guess they can force this. :crazy:
I'm not a cigarette smoker, but if I was, I'd start carrying the smokes in a nice cigarette case and chuck the FDA packs in the trash. There's no law that says you have to use the packs they sell you. Give em the finger.
And what makes you think pipes/pipe tobacco isn't on the antis' agenda?.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
And what makes you think pipes/pipe tobacco isn't on the antis' agenda?.
I dont think that for one minute.

Thats why I dont understand the RYO blame game.

They're coming for you next, wether you like it or not.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
barack_obama_smoke_cigarettes.jpg

Surely this guy will not allow such a hypocracy to occur.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
any and everything that can be deemed bad for you will be deemed so. it will be vilified until they can eradicate it with minimal protest. but i do think people are already getting sick of the attempts. there is hope. love of real choice and diversity could return to our country.

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
I say let's get a petition to the FDA requiring Locopony's posted photo be used in the first batch of warning lables. :rofl:

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Isn't it nice that even at the age of 54 I need our wonderful "Imperial Federal Government" telling me I need a "Mommy" to tell me what I don't need to do.. Nice way to waste my tax dollars.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I lived overseas in Costa Rica on and off for the past decade or so. And before I took up pipes seriously, I had sticks and cigars fairly regular. Well, while in Panama, (every 3 mo. for passport stamp, since I don't have residency) I noticed that all the cigarettes had the same gory pictures printed all over the packaging. Funny though, since Panama is so controlled by the US, that it seems they "tried it" there first.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
These have been on any tobacco sold in the UK for years. That includes pipe tobacco tins.

To be honest it makes absolutely no difference to whether people smoke. I've never met anybody who has said 'well i used to smoke but then i say a pictures on the cigarette packet so i stopped'
We also have the massive warning labels taking up half the tin that says such trinkets of information such as 'SMOKING KILLS' etc. The only benefit is that on tobacco tins these are stick on labels which i can simply peel off.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
We have had the horror photos for over a couple of years now. When I Smoked RYO i would always get the pregnant ones as it didn't affect me. oh and the eyeball one. It reminded me of this old death metal album that me and my mates would thrash,,, sigh those were the days, lots of liquor and no responsibilities. my how times change, Dont touch the liquor and got responsibilities :) oh well at least I made it to this age. it was close a few times. and still in sorta possession of me faculties :wink:

clutch

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
I have worked in Peru for the past couple of years. These pics have always been on the cigs, since I've been here. You can't buy cigs without the pics. Some of them are horrible. When I smoked cigs I couldn't hardly smoke from those packs! Glad a went to more friendly system of carcinogens...

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
just saying ,this kind of stuff is an old hat in the rest of the world.

this commercial is probably 5+ years old now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjrkBYDDQM
most ads like this were used in other parts of the word kind of desensitized people to it, and IIRC, most were phased out for more traditional media because they didn't make much of a difference
this ad however

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFR07vsnWjA&feature=related

ROCKS

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Turning cigarette packs into macabre collectible cards... Uh-huh, that will keep kids away. :roll:
I'm going to go out and purchase a flip-top box today and disassemble it, to use as a template. I'm going to wait until these things show up on shelves and start selling "custom cigarette packs" for $1 each to people who don't want to carry rotten.com in their pocket all day.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
The ironic thing about the war on tobacco, is that adult use has come down but teen use has increased. So If the objective was to get those who are responsible for making their own choices to stop, while get those who are not yet mature enough to get started. Well then it had beena smashing success. The fact is youths are smoking more plus the "legal marijuanna" salvia. Hookah bars are poping up every where with molasis laden tobaccos, and artifical pot. So nothing has been gained but the waist of tax payer money, and the creation of safe heavens for youths to meet and make social about it. Rather than the cigar and tobacco shops with the old men sitting around talking about the golry day with their pipes and cigars. (a plce youths would never find themeselves) all say HOORAY!

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
i have a feeling cig holders and pack holders will go though the roof
Don't think so. How many cig smokers do you see paying any attention to their packets?

Pipe smokers enjoy nice tin art but cig smokers don't exactly buy a certain brand because the boxes look pretty.
It won't make any difference to cig smokers as all packets will have them, therefore why be ashamed of what your cig packet looks like. I have never seen a cig smoker taking cigs out of one packet to put them in another box and never seen someone with a cigarette holder out on the streets either.
All a waste of time and money to be honest

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I have never seen a cig smoker taking cigs out of one packet to put them in another box and never seen someone with a cigarette holder out on the streets either.
Thats because cigarette packs never looked like a tumor-filled anus before.

New-cig-label.jpg

Just as well, I think cigarette cases add a touch of class to the hobby, and can easily see a rise in cigarette cases restoring some of the public's respect for tobacco through the same aesthetic warfare the anti's are trying to use here. Ironic, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.