PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
(I don't actually have a specific question to ask so forgive me this gripe.)
I recently took a chance on an estate Peterson Standard System 307 XL on the bay. Foolish for a comparative noob, yes, but I had been coveting a System for a while and I was able to get this for 30 quid including shipping.
I got a bit stung in that the seller had described the stem as 'professionally cleaned' and 'ready to smoke', but when it arrived it (the stem) was full of such deathly black gunge that I'm suprised Customs didn't impount it as a chemical weapon. This stuff was somewhere in between tar and engine grease had an oily smell that wasn't necessarily reminiscent of tobacco.
Anyway, I cleared it out, gave it a bleach bath, scrubbed off the worst of the oxidation, went through literally two packets of vodka-soaked cleaners on it, but still the stem has this strange chemical taste that tends to turn my stomach, particularly if I take a dry pull on it. It's not as bad while smoking (I've been using only virginias and vapers in it) but I'm afraid it's tainting the tobacco too. Now I'm considering just getting a replacement stem from Peterson's.
Anyone have any similar experiences?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Not really, and I've purchased 100+ estates in the past three years. Try soaking it in an Oxyclean solution (cover the P with a dab of vaseline).

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Further probing with a twisted cleaner revealed a hidden trove of this clotted muck still adhering to the inner tube. Screw it, I'm getting a new stem.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If you live stateside, mail it to me and I'll give it a shot, worst case scenario, you lost $5 in shipping. I can buff/shine it for you as well.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I never believe the "ready to smoke" descriptions. I'll be the judge of that, thanks. :wink: If it's an estate pipe, you should always expect to clean it again. I even give new pipes the once over...

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I took a chance once on a VERY cheap pioe. Stem was horrid externally, but, that's what I get for buying a pipe without the pics.
I did get another pipe that was quite dirty inside....took a lot of work but smokes well now. Again, got a really good deal so some elbow grease was an okay trade.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I have encountered many estate pipes from Ebay with stems that are totally clogged like yours.

Just give it a really good soak in Oxy and cover the "P" with vaseline, and try a shank brush also, like others have mentioned. I had one stem that was so bad, it took 3 nights of soaking in Oxy with scrubbing between soaks

before I could even start to call it clean. Don't give up yet.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Hi,
I wonder, how the previous owners could even enjoy these pipes. I once forgot a pipe, which I had not cleaned, in a corner of my closet and when I found it, it smelled like crap. I had to clean it thoroughly with alcohol, until it was smokeable again. I cannot imagine my pipes building so much gunk without having to gag everytime I stick them into my mouth.
Kind regards,

Peter

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I agree with others here who recommended oxyclean - except don't put the inner tube in oxy. Metal and oxy don't mix.
I'll bet you can get that stem and inner tube cleaned up just fine. Use alcohol on the tube instead and you should be okay. Good luck.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I have a Pete 302 Premier with a P-Lip. I like the pipe but the P-Lip is just not working out so the pipe gets smoked only on rare occasions. I contacted Kenneth over at Norwoods and he will be making a replacement stem for me at a cost of $19.95 plus shipping. I wont be able to send it in for a few more weeks but I will report back and let ya know how it turned out. Numbersix used Norwoods before with great success.
http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
@ssjones - Thank you very much for the offer but Roth is correct, I'm in Ireland and shipping would probably tip it beyond what I could afford :cry: Much appreciated all the same.
As for cleaning it myself, I'm at my wit's end with it and it's bugging me so much I'd prefer to just get the new stem, for peace of mind. I'll call into the Peterson's shop and see what they have to say. Much obliged to y'all, I'll let you know how I get on.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I understand, shipping a new stem within the UK should be reasonable, so why not. I would definitely also spend some time with swabs/brush and alcohol cleaning out that shank & sump, then, with the new stem, you should be ready to roll!

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
The bowl/shank/sump actually seem OK, the worst of the foulness is coming from that stem. The stummel's on its second salt treatment now so that should exorcise the demons.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
There was no spare 307 stem lying around either the shop or the factory so off it's gone to Sallynoggin for 4 - 6 weeks :( Oh well, I suppose it's something to look forward to.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I've had some very dirty pipes, but I knew they would need to be cleaned up when I bought them. I have a friend who used to post here that I have clean up my pipes. The mans a damn magician.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In your place, I'd want a new stem, not on any estate pipe, but definitely on this one. A pipe ought to be appetizing in

its way, and this one doesn't sound at all appetizing. Norwood sounds like he could take this downer experience and

turn it around for you.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
If I had have seen this thread earlier, I would have said to send it up and I would have sorted it for you. I have restored over 100 Peterson's and some of them can be real nasty - wait till you get a gunged up well to clean out :D
Stems normally always clean up as there is not so much friction to hold the tar to the surfaces as there is in a shank or airway. I could have given the pipe a retort to start with to soften the tars.
On a side note, just check your stem fit when you get it back. There is an element of needing these stems custom fitted and I am glad in a way they didn't just sell you a replacement. But just check they just didn't stick a replacement in the stummel. Check for any rocking motion in the stem. This is an improper fit and the bowl could fall off mid smoke. I discovered this when I was restoring four 307 pipes one weekend. Once I had dealt with the stems, I found they only fitted properly back in to their original pipe. There was a bit of juggling to find this out. Mike Billington at Blakemar Briars has a stock of original Peterson system stems and does a superb job of custom fitting them to each bowl, he is cheaper and faster than Peterson also. www.blakemar.co.uk

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I had the same problem as OP with 4 pipes now, really gross almost perfume like taste, kinda musty, and it did turn my stomach.
Just keep at it, if you've isolated the problem to the stem. I soaked mine in Everclear for about half an hour, then shank brush and bristle pipe cleaners with more everclear, then back in to soak for another half hour. As well as rubbing off any yellow gunk on the outside with a paper towel. I soaked and scrubbed 3 stems this evening for about 2 hours.....all clean...

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
@reborn - Thanks a lot for the offer, it's in Peterson's hands now so I foresee hours of thumb-twiddling in the next month.
really gross almost perfume like taste, kinda musty, and it did turn my stomach.
Bingo, Skapunk, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It doesn't smell or taste like typical tobacco tars, but more chemical, and perfumey and musty as you say. Nauseates me just thinking about it. It's bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.