PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I grabbed this Mastercraft for cheap, so the fact the rim looked like this wasn't a big deal. I am curious if there is anything I can do to repair it? Thanks!
photo.JPG

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Don't worry too much about repairing that rim.

If it's a good smoker ... just enjoy it.

A wind cap may spruce it up a bit if you really wanted to though.

Looks like it has "character", good score!

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I'd say top it. In the state the that it's in, the rim can only look better. Sand it down and polish it up. You could bevel the inner edge, since it's almost there anyway.
Or leave it alone and not worry about charring, or further charring, the rim.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I like to top a pipe like that. If it looks better, it smokes better to me. I believe that its not so much in the pipe as it is our style of smoking.
Some pipes do require slower puffing if the bowl is thinner while others tolerate more heat. The heat of the bowl effects the taste in a huge way. The length of the stem, or the moisture level if the pipe is not aired cleaned and dried. So its our style of smoking thats mostly involved. Its often said that an expensive pipe didnt smoke any better than the cheaper one. Could have been one might have felt a little guilty for spending that much and it had an impact on the feeling when its smoked?
So our attitude or surroundings effects the way the pipe smokes a lot I think. Again, its not so much the pipe as our "perception" or style of smoking a particular pipe.
Here is one I topped. The loss of 1/16 inch verses the look and how it effected my attitude was worth it hands down.

topped.jpg

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
IF the pipe is not charred like that all the way to the bottom of the chamber, then it will benefit from having the bowl topped, for the aforementioned reasons. Otherwise, I would give that thing a proper burial.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depending on your rotation (how many pipes you smoke in rotation) this one might go for several years or more.

It's your call. Topping would make it look better and might make it more appetizing. Since you liked it well

enough to buy it, I don't think you have to throw it out. If it smokes pretty well, you could just smoke it and

eventually use it up. No harm in that. When I actually wear out a shirt, say, instead of taking it to Goodwill,

I feel I've had a good experience, wanting to use it that long.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...come to think of it, what do you suppose the previous owner used as a lighter, a blow torch or a welding kit? If he did that

with matches, he must be a truly strange individual.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
mso489, definitely a blow torch, or if he worked the deck of an aircraft carrier, perhaps a jet engine? Hmm, I guess I have some thinking to do. If I decide to top the pipe I'll definitely post pictures of the finished product.

Dec 24, 2012
I recognize this pipe. Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four* used to smoke this pipe in order to relax before battling Dr Doom.

I can't believe he was so hard on it. I had heard a rumour that he met a girl who didn't like his smoking so he gave the pipe to Reed Richards. Check the shot below - is this your pipe?

*For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Fantastic Four, I am referring to a super-hero group comprised of four metahumans - not to be confused with the other Fantastic Four:

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
My mm country gent looks a bit like that. It's only 3 months old but I learned with a Bic before switching to matches. Now it's all matches . I was wondering if I am smoking it too hot or if this damage is just from the lighter.

20140526_193139-600x337.jpg

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I went to a guys house to trade coins for pipes. Guy was not a piper he'd recd. the pipes in a trade. There was one pipe where the back wall was bowed out. I have never seen a pipe like it. Several pipes were all chared inside. I cherry picked the good ones. The ones that were left were looking a lot like the pipe in this post. I should have got the one that melted. At one point it was a nice Sav, it was briar.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That is why you should not use a blow torch to light your pipe. I swear I thought I could hear the "in the arms of an angel" song when i was looking at that pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.