PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottser32

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
first off i bought my first pipe last week and start smoking stanwell vanilla in it, then on tuesday i bought some james fox provost and smoked that and i was grand, then yesterday i bought a new straight peterson pipe, i got it home and smoked some provost in it and again i was fine. then last night i opened up a tin of dunhill early morning, i smoked a bowl in the straight peterson for about 20 minutes to a half hour at some times i got a little tongue bite which may mean i was smoking a little fast, anyway i finished the bowl and went to clean the pipe and boom i felt terrible i got a weird shaking in my chest and arms and hands and felt extremely lethargic and my breathing felt off, i got very worried and had to go lie down. has anyone experienced this before??

it really pissed me off i was really enjoying smoking but id hate for this to happen again which kinda puts me off pipe smoking

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Sounds like you got nicotine hit? Maybe? Usually dizziness or a nauseated feeling, can feel it in your gut or head.
Smoking fast would brig that on, but so would other factors like an empty stomach and maybe not hydrated enough.
Just be careful to take your time, and if you know youll be smoking a particularly strong blend, then drink some water or eat a little something first. Sometimes it just happens, but if you are careful about it, it usually wont be an issue

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
That does sound just like an overdose of good old vitamins N. Like gray touched on, drink some water with your smoke, it helps with bite and the nic hit. Also early morning pipe was made to wake you up, it is known for its high amount of nicotine I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again. Try only smoking a half bowl or cutting it with a weaker blend. About and aromatic you smoke will be low in nicotine so you can smoke those to your hearts content, or until you get tongue bite :p
Welcome to the forum! Please don't let a couple learning mistakes put you off of a great hobby :)

scottser32

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
cheers lads, ye i felt a bit sick also, ill be more careful next time think ill just stick to half a bowl in future, i packed the new pipe fairly well and it was a larger bowl then my other pipe so it was probably too much too soon. i do love my pipes so im gonna keep it up. think ill try some frog mortons next, would you say its stronger or weaker then EM??

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I beleive the frogs have a lot of Latakia in them which should make for a low to medium nic level depending on the other ingredients. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com. That website will let you look at the Ingridients an tell you if the blend is high or low in nicotine. Word of advice though take those reviews with a healing spoon full of salt, let yourself be the judge if you like a blend. As for the half bowl ideal, whenever you get a new pipe your supposed to smoke 1/3 or 1/2 bowls to help build an even cake layer so definetly do that, at least for the first few bowls.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Also, you should check out our site sponsors there all good but the one I use most is pipeandcihars.com, they have what's called samplers so you can try all sorts of different blends to see what type you like at a very reasonable price. There website actually has a phone number you can call and they will make suggestions if your not sure what to try *or ask us here*. I'm sure our other sponsors do a great job to I am just in the habbit of using pipeandcihars so I don't know much about them.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Scott, Thanks for joining PipesMagazine.com and posting up in the forums.
Please use your Shift key. We require proper capitalization and punctuation please.
See Rule 9 at the bottom here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-read-before-posting-please-1

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My vote is for nicotine as well, but the bite (and possibly other symptoms) could be due to a particular tobacco in the blend that just doesn't agree with you. There are many people who simply cannot smoke certain blends no matter how much they want to.
It takes some time to learn which work for you and which do not, so don't give up too quickly.

Aug 14, 2012
Nicotine. To an extent your body gets used to it, but not entirely. Stay away from burley, which has a high nicotine content, don't smoke it all the way down until you get used to it, and keep a bottle of milk handy. I had a mischievous uncle once who offered me a huge cigar. I realized that the rascal was waiting for me to get sick on it. What he didn't know was that I had spent years as a heavy cigar smoker. I finished it and after a while asked for another. (Then he took me out and tried to get me drunk.)Cigars are worse, until you get used to them.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
had a mischievous uncle once who offered me a huge cigar. I realized that the rascal was waiting for me to get sick on it. What he didn't know was that I had spent years as a heavy cigar smoker. I finished it and after a while asked for another. (Then he took me out and tried to get me drunk.
lol!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Indubitably, nicotine rush happens quickly, not after you smoke, low blood sugar causes those same symptoms, perhaps go see a doctor about it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Andrew has the right idea. If problems persist, lay off the baccy for a few days and see

a doc about any underlying problem not related to your pipe smoking. However, I think

the other guys have it right about this being likely a nicotine response. I think people

can be enthusiastic when they start pipe smoking, maybe a little overachieving, and really

go at it. Which we can all understand! But the deliberative, meditation-like aspect of

pipe smoking is part of the pleasure. Take it easy, take your time. You don't have to

smoke a big bowl, and you don't have to fill a big bowl all the way full. My friendly local

pipe shop proprietor (since the 1970s) divides pipe smokers between the puffers and

the sippers. Try the sipper approach for a while.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Yes the symptoms you described could also be blood sugar along with a million different diseases/symptoms but since you were smoking a pipe and only when smoking a pipe then I still think its just nicotine and you shouldn't worry for no reason.
Andrew, yes nic rush can happen all at once but if your sitting down while smoking it can hit you all at once when you stand up, the same as having a few drinks then you stand up and realize you drank to much *before you learn your limits :p*

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Nic hit. Even if the level of nicotine in that blend is relatively mild, if his body isn't used to it as he's just starting out he can definitely have problems.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
i felt terrible i got a weird shaking in my chest and arms and hands and felt extremely lethargic and my breathing felt off, i got very worried and had to go lie down.

Geez! Don't seek medical advice here! Get your butt to a doctor! Could be totally unrelated to the pipe...

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Geez! Don't seek medical advice here! Get your butt to a doctor! Could be totally unrelated to the pipe...
Exactly right! Good chance it was the Nic and smoking it too fast, but the symptoms sound a bit over the top for just nicotine. If it happens again, I would really recommend going to the Doc. Better safe than sorry mate.

scottser32

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
Cheers for all the replies and concern, ill adjust my smoking style and keep you updated, hopefully it was just a bad nic hit.
Fitzy i like your Avatar, fellow spurs supporter here, COYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.