Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I'm going to use this pictured briar horn as an example:
DmmLQ.jpg

I'm chit chatting with the lady at Pipe Maker's Emporium about their block sizes, and my next briar pipe will be with better briar, for sure, and it's going to be a horn.
Now this might be a bit of a tall order to get proper advice, not sure if anyone here has ever made a horn like this, or owns one.
Am I wrong in noticing that the chamber is also horn shaped on this pipe? Obviously shaping the chamber is a significant amount of extra work, but really I'm wondering how a pipe with such a shaped chamber will smoke.
It does add something to the "image" of the pipe, it's eye appeal, but is it really the best thing for smoking, or would a standard straight drilled chamber be a better choice?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
That one did turn out really well, I'm hoping to emulate the style a bit.
I like the shape of the Thomas James one also, I've seen it before.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
horn-2_zps65bf98f8.jpg

If you buy a 900 dollar horn you might find that the chamber has some hand-carving where it connects to the airway. But the pipe in question will be drilled quite "ordinarily" indeed. I have drawn a chamber and mortise in black, and the airway in red on one of the profile shots.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I have a Nording Hunter Ram pipe - Horn, and it is a straight drill as the picture shows. Great little pipe!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So I have a horn made by someone else and have made one. The chamber is the same shape as any other pipe. The exterior of the pipe doesn't effect how the chamber is shaped. But it does affect the angle. Also chamber depth is pretty large normally. I buy my briar from Juame Home and they have some really nice large blocks perfect for this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.