PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferment

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
Searching for a blend that is as delicious as Presbyterian without the same price tag:
Let me preface by saying I did a search trying to find a similar topic but nothing came up that was too similar I think.
Only recently have I taken to pipe smoking (Dec 2012) and I love it. I breathe better than when I was smoking a pack or more a day and a few pipe smokes a day is infinitely more pleasurable than those aforementioned cigarettes (With this improved breathing potential I should probably go ahead and meditate on the breath).
Ive smoked a few blends from my local tobacconist and every 50 gram pack Ive found here in Toronto. Ultimately, upon recommendation from my tobacconist when I asked for Scot Blend I bought Presbyterian, and now want nothing else. Unfortunately, shopping around, no one sells it in Toronto for less than $24.50 a tin, and to smoke at that price isnt an option without billions invested into Genetic and Epigenetic research on tobacco-neurochemical-dependency to make me not enjoy smoking. With this problem I`ve come here:
Im looking to buy online but in order to buy tax free one has to buy a product that isnt already sold in Canada, though I would happily buy in Canada if such a tobacco exists here. Furthermore, though there are countless topics of this nature already from what I could see through searching, maybe the question I mean to ask is, what is a Scot blend, or at least, what is Presbyterian and what might I wanna shop around for description wise to land upon something similar to Presbyterian.
Furthermore, I will say I dont know any other pipe smokers so aside from this post disappearing into countless threads, your secret is safe with me and you shouldnt end up seeing your favourite blend disappear off the market.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for joining and posting up Rob.
Please check rule #9 at the bottom here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-read-before-posting-please-1
I fixed the title for you.

ferment

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
Thank you so far for the quick responses (and the welcomes). Reading those reviews of that mixture you noted Rothnh, I think peppery taste might be the way people describe what I like about Presbyterian. Further to that I add my friends impression of its smell, that it smells like a campfire. Whatever that slightly sweet but predominantly firey smell is is what I love.

Thank you Lawrence, I understand the grammar code now.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I haven't explored all of the McClelland orientals, so they might have something that would work for you. In my experience, though, Presbyterian is unique. As you search, though, you'll be looking for a blend with orientals very much in the foreground, with Virginias tucked way underneath. There are ongoing debates about what other leaf might be present (some say a hint of perique, some say a smidge of Latakia). Dunhill's Durbar comes to mind, but it's no longer produced.
Hmmm ... You might try McClelland's Grand Orientals: Drama Reserve. It's a very oriental-forward blend that may be perfect for you. If it doesn't quite work, others in the Grand Orientals series might. Another thought: Rattray's Red Rapparee.
Welcome!
Bob

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Toronto at those prices sounds like a road trip is in order. load up all you friends each of you can take back 200g legally. I run back and forth across the border and have never actually been searched.

ferment

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks rmbittner. I believe just on that I have a better idea of what Im getting outta Presbyterian. When I make an order Im banking on having such an unrefined palette that any difference between McClelland Orientals and Presbyterian will go unnoticed.
DocHudson that road trip is pending just gotta give my friends a reason to stay over 48 hours. Though you have mentioned they dont usually search but even still Id have to keep my mind at ease knowing at no point did I redirect the truth upon answering to the border guards.
Thanks all. This thread has led me to conclude that I will have to make a small order of some kind of McClelland Oriental and see what I end up with.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
welcome ferment! maybe i'm missing something but you could just order some from smokingpipes.com, just checked and they have Presbyterian in stock for $10.56 a tin. good luck.

ferment

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
welcome ferment! maybe i'm missing something but you could just order some from smokingpipes.com, just checked and they have Presbyterian in stock for $10.56 a tin. good luck.
unfortunately/fortunately the way canadian duties are set up as far as I can tell from the excise act, if a product is not sold in Canada then it is exempt from duty tax but if it is sold in Canada then in quantities mailed less than 200g it is at the discretion of the customs official as to whether it will be taxed duty.
Hence, Im avoiding purchasing tinned tobacco. The only possible evidence I have to this reading of the excise act being true is that an order of 4oz McClelland tobacco arrived tax free yesterday. This though couldve been due to a sympathetic customs official and it being my first online order of tobacco this year (I used to order cartons of cigs online).

Status
Not open for further replies.