Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Hooray for Goopy over the Top Rum Soaked Aromatics!

(27 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by shanez
  • Latest reply from dottiewarden
  1. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

Had a bowl of the bulk "Spiced Rum" stuff I get from the local B&M as the first bowl in my new Savinelli Qandale Rusticated 602. Holy cow did this stuff hit a large sweet spot. Had a good 25 minutes or so where the smoke was nice and cool, no gurgling, and the flavor...well the flavor was nice and sweet rum with a tough of savory spice over a background of mild tobacco and was very buttery!

It packed well even though it was a bit goopy, tamped great when needed, and didn't require a bunch of relights.

This type of blend might not be everyone's cup of tea but man it really was fantastic for me! I've had some good smokes before but it's rare that I get this perfect storm of enjoyment.

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I've got some Sleepy Hollow on order from Straus tobacconist, which I expect to get in the mail next week. It's a pretty wet aromatic, but tastes fantastic - like pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and maybe a little vanilla. This is probably the only time I'll say that I'm looking forward to smoking a goopy aromatic

Posted 7 months ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do like rum flavoring, but somewhat in the background, with great base tobaccos.

Posted 7 months ago #
  4. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sutliff's Queen Anne's Revenge is one I enjoy from time to time.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 7 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

I like aromatic English bulk with alcoholic topping, it is not FMC but it is very smokeable.

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like what you smoke and smoke what you like!

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I enjoy a wide variety of them myself. Queen Anne's Revenge and Buttered Rum being among them.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 7 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

erhardt85

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren's 7 seas regular was the first aromatic that I looked forward to smoking. It also helped me to nail down the best technique for me, which is to dry the tobacco for hours until it's no longer wet but still springy. I'd love to try sleepy hollow. Hopefully I didn't miss the train this year.

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I'd love to try sleepy hollow.

Me too. I've been looking but unable to find it so far.

Queen Anne's Revenge is now on my list too.

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Queen Anne's Revenge is an elegant aromatic, nice use of rum. I don't have it on hand but thoroughly enjoyed it when I did. Black Frigate is among the best, as everyone knows.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tom, are you classifying Black Frigate as a "goopy, over the top aromatic"? That might get you in some trouble with the crew!

Every time One at of rum used as a flavouring in pipe tobacco, my thoughts always go to Black Frigate even though I've never tried it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

And again, Black Frigate isn't an aromatic. Were that the case, all of the Navy Flakes with it would be considered aros as well.

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

erhardt85

Login to Send PM

I guess there's really two types of aromatic. I would love to know the definitions because there are some heavily flavored blends containing Latakia and other naturally flavored tobaccos. 1792 flake, ennerdale. What's the difference with blockade runner and black frigate? It's been a while since I've had either, but I remember a pretty heavy rum flavoring, despite the lack of pg and Cavendish.

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

BR=Rum Soaked Virginia
    BF=BR+Orientals, Latakia, and unsweetened Black Cavendish

Posted 7 months ago #
  15. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Re: Sleepy Hollow - You can only buy Sleepy Hollow directly from Straus Tobacconist. Give them a call. They're blending it right now, and though you'll probably have to be on a waitlist for a couple weeks, you'll probably be able to get some.

Fair warning, at a cost of around $5 per ounce plus delivery it's probably overpriced, at as least compared to usual tobacco costs, but who cares. It's a once-a-year fun seasonal tobacco blended and sold by a small B&M for only a short time every year towards the end of the summer / early fall. Who knows how more years that may or may not last given the state of the regulatory environment. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

Re: Sleepy Hollow - You can only buy Sleepy Hollow directly from Straus Tobacconist. Give them a call. They're blending it right now, and though you'll probably have to be on a waitlist for a couple weeks, you'll probably be able to get some.

Fair warning, at a cost of around $5 per ounce plus delivery it's probably overpriced, at as least compared to usual tobacco costs, but who cares. It's a once-a-year fun seasonal tobacco blended and sold by a small B&M for only a short time every year towards the end of the summer / early fall. Who knows how more years that may or may not last given the state of the regulatory environment. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Thank you very much! Call placed and order placed. 4oz shipped to my door for $24.99, $9 of which was shipping so not terribly priced.

Posted 7 months ago #
  17. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

Forgot to say, they didn't have it in stock but they said they would have it by the end of the week!

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. drrock

drrock

Login to Send PM

Big fan of rum in my pipe tobacco.
    Some of my personal favorites besides Sleepy Hollow:
    Boswell Rum River, GH & Co. Rum Flake, MacBaren Plumcake, plus "Our" London Dock, Jefferson Street, and Sunset Rum - all from Milan Tobacconists.
    My latest favorite - Decatur Dark Sweet Rum.
    BTW - if you call Straus to get some Sleepy Hollow, I'd strongly recommend also buying their Wenceslas, a fabulous Holiday blend

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Goopy blends mess up my pipes. Everything from Molto Dolce to Captain Black Regular may be tasty, but the goop is simply not welcome in my pipes. Vanilla Rum blends are a mainstay in my tobacco selection, however I would pass on the goopy ones and stick to lightly flavored, tobacco forward blends that burn clean and leave no residue. Currently I'm enjoying Brigham Enterprises Inc. - Ripley Avenue (Anniversary). Sadly, Mac Baren - Navy Mixture was discontinued in 2014.

Dot
    Posted 7 months ago #
  20. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And again, Black Frigate isn't an aromatic. Were that the case, all of the Navy Flakes with it would be considered aros as well

no offence intended captain! I've heard of Black Frigate being referred to as an Aro and the other way around. Its a little confusing for a landlubber like myself.

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Goopy blends mess up my pipes.

This is why God invented the corncob. If a tasty blend is going to leave gunk in a treasured pipe, smoke it from a $7 one instead.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 7 months ago #
  22. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All this talk of rum soaked tobacco made me grab some Sutliff's Spiced Rum last night, it was delicious.

Posted 7 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

no offence intended captain!

None taken. Most blends considered Navy have rum, but liquor aros are often flavored without real liquor just for smell and taste.

Posted 7 months ago #
  24. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Dry them out more and wipe the chamber with a paper towel when finished.

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Forgot to say, they didn't have it in stock but they said they would have it by the end of the week!

Straus does 10lbs runs at a time of Sleepy Hollow. Historically they've just continued to blend up another 10lbs when they run out and it's still October.

I still have about 6-8oz of it left from the pound I bought a year ago.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 7 months ago #
  26. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A rum aromatic will have added sugar for the “Candy Cereal” taste/flavor. As well as some artificial vanilla/crud. Black Frigate is a Rum-soaked Virginia, with Turkish and Latakia without the added sugars. It’s no different than stowing a bunch of leaf in barrels for the return journey.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 7 months ago #
  27. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dry them out more and wipe the chamber with a paper towel when finished.

Lazy as I be, I prefer the Cob idea.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, docrameous