PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
Billy Budd seems to be the only tobacco that I can smoke on a daily basis. I love it's complexity, strength, and flavor. Aromatics are fine from time to time. And the Gawith Hoggarth Sliced Brown Twist is something I'd only like to visit about once a month, in spite of my love of cigars.
Any other suggestions for Billy Budd alternatives or other varieties to explore?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take a look at C&D bulk Pegasus online and see if that is something you might want to try in a small

quantity to sample. It's a somewhat different item, but has some complexity.

plumbersdope

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
C&D's Red Odessa is a good one along those lines. I have never tried the regular Odessa but I do really enjoy it. Low country has two great Lat bends with their Cooper and Black. Might also like too try plug tobaccos like Pease Jack Knife, Peterson 3p, Briar Fox and if your a Lat lover Pirate Kake. I havent smoked Billy Budd myself but I do enjoy smoking Samuel Gawith Best Brown NO. 4 and Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Happy (Brown) Bogie Unsliced which I prefer because its a smaller diameter rope and available in bulk. Those would be my suggestions from my own personal experience.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've enjoyed BBudd, too. Good and strong, nothing subtle about the flavor. Great way to start the day. Although I suspect it smells like absolute sh*% to innocent bystanders.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Oh Lordy! Does Billy Budd churn my belly.
Maybe it's the fact that I am a fast puffer; I can't, nay, won't slow down...life's too short.
Maybe it's the cigar leaf, pungent and strong, that churns up the potato chips and Reese's Pieces.
Don't know what it is, nor why I retrieve the jar of Billy Budd every so often from my Ball Jar cellar, just to remember just why I placed it so far back on the shelf. The stuff is tasty until the queasiness sets in.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Have you tried Purple Cow? I saw it when I was browsing about. I haven't tried it, but it is a Latakia, cigar leaf blend. I just ordered an ounce of BIllybudd. I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

plumbersdope

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
From your suggestions claypipesarchaeologist its hard too expand on. As a pipe smoker and looking over my smoking journal is a drop in the bucket compared too the blends I still want too try, let alone the other blends out there. If you could expand on the tobaccos you have tasted and enjoy that will narrow down the window for us. Aromatics v.s. Brown Twist is like comparing Scotch or a Bourbon too beer.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Billy Budd is probably my favorite overall blend. If you like that you should try star of the east flake. Similar tone to BB but with more of a turkish dimension, great stuff.

Mar 1, 2014
I have to give this stuff props for uniqueness, but man alive is that smell awful.
Hopefully I'll be able to sit down and enjoy it someday, but I don't think that day will be any day soon.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I love Billy Budd too, but with about a year of age on it, fresh I find the orientals are too strong but now that it's about 8 months sitting in a mason jar I'm finding it to be wonderfully balanced. I'll definitely be ordering more next time, but I've got to let it sit for a good 8 months before I really enjoy it.

froggie

Lurker
Apr 1, 2014
Tuskegee Airman--also by C&D--is also delicious. Very full bodied like Billy with more of that salsa-esque perique punch.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
andrew, I think those Orientals are actually burleys. But you're right -- a few months in the air does tone it down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.