PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
While browsing the forums this morning I noticed a post in the Robin Williams thread. Trailboss made mention of the veterans we lose to suicide every day and how he cannot hold a prolonged sadness for someone who lived such a life as Robin Williams did. Personally, I grew up watching Robin Williams's comedy. From Mork And Mindy, to Popeye, The Best of Times, Mrs. Doubtfire and many others. He made me laugh for many years. And it saddens me that there will be no new material (minus some yet unreleased movies)coming from such a comic genius. But that being said, Trailboss is right. Any time a celebrity loses his life, be it suicide or natural causes or an accident or any number of things, it is immediately all over the news. For days. For weeks. Months and years later they still talk about it. I've seen Robin Williams mentioned on the news numerous times already today. But sadly when a soldier or veteran is lost there is only a quick mention. We've all heard the news anchors say something along the lines of... "three soldiers were killed in Afghanistan today as a result of a roadside bomb... now in sports..." And that's all most of us hear about it. Sometimes we may here a short mention of the rise of suicide rates among veterans. But the coverage on such things is truly lacking. Whether it's the news medias faults or our very own faults, the truth of the matter is we don't think about such things nearly as much as we should. We all have our favorite celebrities but the men and women of our armed forces are the true heroes and we should be raising our pipes in their honor far more than we are. Many of them are putting their lives on the line every day. Right this very minute a soldier could be bleeding and dying for all we know. Right this minute a veteran could be holding a gun to his head with his finger on the trigger. If you think about it like that it gives you pause... it makes it real.
After a quick google search I found this site. It's a list of armed forces personnel who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan. You can click on a photo and it will tell you how they died. Some of them go into more detail than others. I could not find a list of veterans lost to suicide, but at least we can look through some of these photos, raise our pipes, and give them our thanks for making the ultimate sacrifice. And perhaps it will also help us remember those who have come home but are still fighting a war in their minds.
http://projects.militarytimes.com/valor/
For those of you outside the United States, feel free to post a similar list for the fallen warriors of your country. They all deserve our respect.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Great post ,but as for Robin Williams's he just thought about him self and not about his family or all the fans who loved him.

So I let it go, weeks ago .

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Thanks for the post. I have several buddies that have served and have seen some horrific stuff. I try to help them in any way I can. I always make time to listen. They deserve that from all of us. Thanks to all who have served for your service.

Jan 8, 2013
My father is a Vietnam vet as well, Trailboss. He very rarely talks about the things he did or saw over there (I can count the times he's talked to me about it on one hand) and they're all pretty bad. Being raised by father was very hard sometimes. He was very angry.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
My dad was a Marine in WWII and rarely talked about it. It wasn't until after I came home from Viet Nam that we would get half drunk (or more than half) and talk. He was on Iwo Jima, one of the nastiest battles of the war, but said he couldn't imagine going through what we did in Viet Nam. I've seen official footage of the landing on Iwo Jima and can't imagine going through that kind of hell.
We have the ability to adapt to nearly anything to survive. The price of that adaptability is often very high in terms of learning to re-adjust to a normal life. Many vets never make the transition back. The suicide rate among veterans of WWII, Korea and Viet Nam was also staggeringly high, but it was, for the most part, swept under the rug. At least now there is a little more awareness of the problem and we're beginning to see more of an attempt to reach out to these men and women before it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.