PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Welcome to the forums. There used to be a great piper in Honolulu. Went by the name if Hilo Johnny. Passed last year I believe, but his posts were really insightful, and I do miss him dearly. RIP Hilo Johnny.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Howzit braugh, the anti-smoking Nazi’s have gone loco. I lived both in Maui and Waikiki back in the 80's. Have plans to retire in Kihei but going to be hard to find a place to live where I can smoke. The laws are crazy and since Maui has hardly any crime, the police have nothing better to do than write tickets.
Funny how Hawaii has a tobacco industry and even hosted a huge cigar event this year.
I miss the "howzit and primo" commercials lols. Aloha
Craig

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Welcome to the forums! Crazy they have all that anti smoking stuff going on. They have a lot of B&M's there. I even have a pipe that says TOBACCOS OF HAWAII on it.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
I'm on Oahu at Schofield Barracks. Look up the Cigar Club of Hawaii on Facebook and check in with Tamura's and Tobaccos of Hawaii. All three of these sources will give you ideas of where to smoke and cigar events. As far as I know there are no pipe clubs here.
The cigar club meets every Thursday at the Row Bar in China town. And you can smoke at O'Malleys Irish pub also.

May 16, 2013
Thanks for the warm welcomes. Hilo Johnny sounded like a great man, too made I never met him. The anti tobacco laws aren't as bad as some people try to make them seem. When I was going to university in Los Angeles it seemed much worse. There are a couple bars owned by a pro tobacco guy, that let you smoke inside. I think the one Jim mentioned is part of them. They're really cool spots, but I feel weird sitting alone smoking my pipe. Anyway, aloha and thanks once again.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
Where are you at on Oahu and what brought you here?
We will need to get together sometime to smoke a bowl

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I bought my first GBD, a Granitan Canadian, in November, 1969 at the Ala Moana Pipe Shop. It cost me all of $15--big bucks in those days.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My wife has family on the North shore and a cousin on the big island. We live on the main land,Norther California.
Welcome to the forum.

May 16, 2013
Where are you at on Oahu and what brought you here?
We will need to get together sometime to smoke a bowl

I'm in Town in Pauoa. I was born in CA, and grew up here. I returned because the LA atmosphere was a bit too much for me.
My wife has family on the North shore and a cousin on the big island. We live on the main land,Norther California.

I used to live in Haleiwa. Love the surf there.
Aloha

May 16, 2013
I bought my first GBD, a Granitan Canadian, in November, 1969 at the Ala Moana Pipe Shop. It cost me all of $15--big bucks in those days.

Awesome, I enjoy hearing stories of the good ol' days. Do you happen to remember where it was located?

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
I believe it used to be on Ward Ave off of Ala Moana but its long gone now

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Welcome to the forum. I was in Honolulu last summer. Enjoyed the islands, each one is so different. Wish I could afford to live there; however, a nice visit once in awhile is something I plan to do.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
Well, there is now one more pipe smoker in Honolulu. I just started smoking the pipe this month, but I have lived here for 17 years and have yet to see anyone here smoking a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.