PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Honolulu Lulu it is not. I had the worst pipe shop experience ever yesterday. "Greeted" by a stern shop keeper who said "You can't smoke a pipe in here". So I immediately covered the bowl, and then he told me I had to leave the pipe outside. There was no place to rest it save on the ground. So, I let it go out, pocketed it, and returned. Same gruff and unwelcoming chap. Some tins of stuff we know, highly priced, no surprise. No name wooden pipes (might not be briar) and Chinese cobs.
Never to return.
Tobaccos of Hawaii Beretania. One star for having some real tins of real tobacco. Fortunately, I travel with enough tobacco I don't need to buy locally, but I like to when reasonable.

I have had grocery store clerks tell me "no problem" when I have absent-mindedly forgotten to remove my pipe. That gentleman would have quickly gotten a knee jerk middle finger in the face from me. No point in being rude to a potential customer. I don't even understand people like that, especially one that sells tobacco. Is he retarded?

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Is this a pro-cigar/anti-pipe situation? Very odd. But, hey, you're in Hawaii. Aloha!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Hawaii has some strict tobacco laws. That doesn't excuse the shop keep from being rude though.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mahalo! Yeah, I really can't complain about meeting one asshole in one store given where I am. First one in a tobacco shop, though. And, yes, he was concerned that his cigars might pick up the scent of my pipe, though not actively smoking it.

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
Honestly the only reason i could think of for me to go to Hawaii is an abundance of Spam Musubi, delicious!
Sucks that the guy was such a schmuck.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Hawaii has the strongest anti smoking laws in the US. It is illegal to smoke on your own lanai in HI. That's privately owned property, if you can fathom.
Tobaccos of Hawaii used to have its premises over by the convention center. They were grandfathered and you could smoke there. Unfortunately, they lost their lease and had to move. I once managed to purchase a locally carved pipe there for a fair price, but sadly the move led to increases.
Nothing forgives rudeness, but it should be remembered that with their laws, that shop could have been fined for the smell emanating from a recently smoked pipe. That's a big deal to such a low margin industry. Sorry you had such a bad experience. I have found memories.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
On reflection, he wasn't that bad; not bad enough I felt I had to dish some out to him, at least.
Hugo makes a good point. I'd guess 90% of his business is cigars. I've enjoyed smoking everywhere but inside, so far no jail time.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Anybody gives me a hard time , I usually break into my lone crane on a pier
.. or drunken monkey style

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Good on you to shrug it off. Hope you are enjoying some pleasurable bowls in nice weather and beautiful surroundings.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I was just there last week. Check out O’Tooles near Chinatown and across the street from Murphy’s Restaurant. Bring your pipe with you...

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
Or across from Schofield Barracks is a historical bar called Kemo'o Farms Pub and Grill
If you go to the right of the main entrance and down the stairs it brings you to the Lanai - mostly a biker bar (but with Hawaii Aloha, all are welcome) Cigars and pipes are welcome. I used to enjoy a pipe and a Guinness there all the time after going for a ride on my FatBoy with my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.