PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
My girlfriend and I just went away for an overnight vacation (both of our jobs prevent us from going on a 'real' vacation). So we stayed in a Homestead Studio Suites in Fishkill, NY. Much to my delight we had accidentally been booked into a 'Smoking Room.' My eyes lit up when the desk attendant told us the 'Bad News.' To be perfectly honest, I didn't know these types of rooms were still available, especially in a chain hotel. The decor was modest, there some burns in the carpet but the staff was friendly and accommodating and the room was clean.
I can not speak for all Homestead Studio Suites, but if you're ever in Fishkill, NY on business (Fishkill isn't really a touristy place), then I would recommend this hotel.
If you have a larger budget, the Poughkeepsie Grand in Poughkeepsie, NY as has smoking rooms as well.
Full Disclosure: I am in no way affiliated with either one of these hotels, I'm just a happy customer sharing some good news.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have been to Fishkill! I'm usually over at the Courtyard, definitely no smoking there, but they have rooms with balconies, that makes my day when I get one of those rooms. You can hang out with the Tuetels in Fishkill, but not sure there's much else to do....

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
We went to Cracker Barrel and ate meat loaf. There is a water park up the road a bit. Otherwise, Fishkill is a stopping point on the way to somewhere more exciting or a just a business destination. I think I would skip the Tuetels as well. Your best bet is to find a liquor store and just hang out.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I'm not suggesting that the Hudson Valley is only for going to this hotel and drinking and smoking behind locked doors. There are many very great things to do from the FDR Presidential Library in Hyde Park, hiking on Breakneck Mountain in Beacon, see some art at Dia also in Beacon, minor league baseball with the Hudson Valley Renegades, come to New Paltz to have a pipe and a pint with me, etc. I'm not saying that there is nothing to do, but if you're only there for a night, there really isn't a lot to do within walking distance of the hotel district.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You should be able to go to the Motorcyclepedia Musuem, its right down the road from the OCC shop.
Ah, yes, I forgot about that place. I've been there and it is AMAZING. I'd drove across the country to see a place with that much motorcyles and memorabilia. We spent hours on the first floor, were leaving, and asked about the "Wall of Death" they had in the advertisement. They attendant said, "You've been down the the main section of the museum on lower, floor, right?" We went nuts, wait, there is MORE? Don't miss this place if you enjoy motorcycles (it's right off the NY Thru way or I-84, but really in Newburgh).
I have to admit, the road up and over the mountain South of Newburgh is also pretty cool. It is a State Park, but I forget the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.