PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Does anyone try there hand at this.Im gonna give it a go and kinda want someone to try it with so we could each tweak our blend.Anyone wanna try so we can compare notes

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@smokingcricket,
Are you sure you want to do this? I mean this sincerely. You have posted a lot recently about your cellar. I would personally focus on that and not the complete tangent of homemade plugs. Life is too short brother, homemade plugs are a big topic of craziness. Just my 2 cents.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Well I have already ordered for my cellar and I know what next order is and I've picked out the pipe I want so I've cleared some mental space.Anyway I'm not trying to make gourmet plugs.Ibkeep mix jar where I throw what's left at the end of a tin or what's left on the board after packing a pipe.One mix jar was really really good after I added some dark fired Kentucky.I wanted to see if there is a big difference in how the tobacco flavors marry between the loose and pressed.The press will be simple and I can piddle with it while I wait for the garden to get watered.Just doing it to try it plus it might come out awesome.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I tried this with clamps. Honestly it was a big waste of time, and I have a lot of left over leaf that's dry as hell. I'll leave it to the pros unless I'm forced to do it myself.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Don't do it! Before you know it you will become the owner of a small tobacco company. You will attract the attention of every armchair blender in the pipe universe all for the sake of producing a Lego brick of tobacco! :rofl:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's not a hot topic. You might learn how to tell the difference between opinion and fact.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I don’t know if the hot topic comment was in reference to my post or not. I reread what I wrote to make sure. I did say craziness because it’s a confusing topic. Didn’t mean it to set off alarm bells.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I was joking about the hot topic remark as in me talking about making a plug would cause it to be a hot topic

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
The humor was lost between our devices.Anyway I have a small table I will set up to press 2 6×6 inch plugs/crumble cakes.The tobacco is from a mixed jar I have tweaked into something I like.Ill just add extra dark fired Kentucky to one side.This will at least answer some questions I have about how flavors combine between loose tobacco and and pressed tobacco.At the best it come out to be a great tasting tobacco I can add to my rotation for free.I do thank you guys for your concern about me wasting my time.I will let you know how it comes out and if pease wants to hire me as head blender.The humor should not be lost on that one

If you are using blending tobaccos, you are really not going to get a very good plug, even if you have a 10 ton hydraulic press, because the tobacco is already shredded. Every year, I cure my own crop, I struggle with whether I want to make a plug with my leaf, as I have the press and such. But, then I always go for the rope-twist, and some ribbon. I keep thinking about all of that work to make a small plug, one at a time to fit in a jar, or one big one that doesn't fit into as jar, then I think about how I really am not all of that crazy about smoking rectangle flakes, ha ha. I do like ropes though. It's easy to do, you get a good squeeze if done right, and you can slice the twist up and chose whether you want chunks or rubbed out.
I think plugs and plug making is pretty cool. But, there is just something about the look and feel of making a twist that appeals to me.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Brown boogie is my second favorite tobacco after 1792.When I get the plug process going I might pick your brain about rope production if you ever have a free moment and feel like sharing.I have access to my grandfathers old stick cure tobacco barn.I had planned on curing some sweet potatoes in there this year as and if he were here I'm sure it would make quiet the impression to see his grandson firing the old barns back up.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
It's a shame the small independent rural farmer went the way of the native Americans.That was the start of America's downward spiral.And how big business took comtrol of tobacco.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’ve thought about trying this with a jar of scraps as well. Let us know how it turns out, I’m very interested

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Mine turned out great! I put 4oz of various tobacco’s in an eight ton press for a week. The “puck” came out 3 inches across, a half inch thick and tastes better than the loose formula.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
No I'm not using blending tobaccos but about a pound of leftovers from what was left from a blend that would not fill a pipe and what was left on the plate after be packing a bowl

I smoked some when I had 4oz.s 8oz.s and so on and would add different leaf until I got a smoking I really enjoy but couldn't duplicate to save my life.anyway that's what I'm using.If it's smokable when im done and I pass the required time and sent post I'll happily send you some since your interested.Ill keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.