PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Ive had a pack of Captain Black Gold sitting around for months now. Recently reintrigued by aromatics, I took it out of the dark corner it had been languishing in and threw in a pinch of Five Brothers and Dark Birdseye. The result was delicious. The burleys made the smoke a bit fuller and toned down the Captain; but allowed the flavor tonreally blossom. Its a nice mellow work blend with a little touch of nicotine. I call it pumpjack.
I know I'm not the first to do a little home mixing, what are your guys favorite moxes youve done at home?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I favor less flavored blends for mixing. One good mix is equal parts of Lanes Burley Without Bite and McClellands Va. 5100, and a hefty pinch of Cavendish -- I

use Altadis Dark Obsession w/walnut -- and a little C&D blending Perique or not. Any mix of a Virginia and a burley usually tastes good to me. I have blending

Latakia but haven't found my mixes as good as the many pro blends I have.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I've discovered that a 50-50 mix of Classic Burley Cake and Old Joe Krantz is actually as good as either tobacco is on their own. Really awesome stuff. Adding latakia adds another dimension to it.

If you want a good American English that will stand toe to toe with anything on the market, mix 10 to 20 percent (depending on your preference) McC blending Latakia with Carter Hall. It is simple, but delicious and inexpensive.
Northwoods mixed with Ten Russians is a surprisingly good smoke.
I mix stuff together constantly, and these are my favorite combos. There are plenty of homemade mixes that taste pretty good, but to me there is a special synergy with these combos. For some reason, they just click together in a unique way and create something as good or better than the individual parts.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm still learning what individual tobaccos taste like, so I haven't done much mixing - but the other night, I realized that I only had about a third to a half of a bowl of Luxury Navy Flake left, so I topped it off with some Escudo (not technically a mix). Interestingly, I could eventually tell that the flavor had shifted once I'd burned through the Escudo.
Had I remembered that I've got 2 ounces of Luxury Bullseye Flake in a jar, I'd have tried that instead. :D

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
not exactly mixing, but I pop the bulls-eyes from luxury bulls-eye flakes and toss 'em in one special tin of nightcap.
I actually prefer lbf this way and that special tin of nightcap comes in handy on those days you want a tad more kick.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Equal parts SWR or CH and Nightcap. The SWR gives it a different flavor but the CH kinda tones it down allowing more flavors to be noticed.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Equal parts Peter Stokkebye 314 Dark Fired Kentucky, 1 Natural (Burley, Cavendish, Virginia), and 310 Black Latakia, with a pinch of 311 Perique. Sometimes I even throw in a bit of Carter Hall, or a little Peter Stokkebye Nougat, Lane 1Q, or Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening just as an experiment. It's a pretty good all-day smoke.

wardrum

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2011
I mixed (about) 50% CH 30% CBW and 20% Dunhill Aperitif. I love it. It's sweet and creamy but not too sweet.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
About 50% aged McClelland 5100 and about 50% MacBaren Old Dark Fired. This is my favorite. It's sweet, tangy, with some real backbone - and changes a bit throughout the bowl. Sublime, really - I think I read about it from one of Cosmicfolklore's posts.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I tried for years to come up with a Va/Burley mix that I loved. I finally got one, a 50/50 combo of 5100 and P&W Nut Brown Burleythat's just sensational. NBB seems to have gone the way of the dodo, though. So when my pound of this is gone I'll try something else.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I've been experimenting with adding #4 rope to Lane 1Q. I've found that a 50/50 mix works best for me.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
I like to chop up some Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, add a little Latakia, and that's it.

I really like the way a whisper of latakia plays with the sweet Virginias in GLP's Laurel Heights. So, I have been drying out a couple of pinches of latakia and putting it in my grinder to make it into a powder. Then, I add just a pinch to a jar of the Red Cake and Dark Fired mix that ravenwolf mentioned. I am letting them meld a little before I try it, but I have high hopes for it.
My local tobacconist suggests not to try a blend right away, but to let them meld together a bit before trying them. I guess it's like fresh cooked chili verses eating it the next day. It's always better the next day.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
40% 1-Q, 40% Sutliff D-40, and 20% burley cubed..... I call it "Fat Bastard". Burley mixed equally with 4Noggin Three Blind Moose is called "Burley Moose". Bald Headed Teacher mixed equally with Prince Albert is of course called "Bald Albert".

Status
Not open for further replies.