Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I've been thinking:
Would it be a good idea to seal homemade and homegrown blends in a metal can? It is easy enough to find a can sealer on eBay for very little money, and the metal cans are a simple affair too. I bet we could even get the same exact size/shape tins used my McC and C&D.
I don't have enough home stuff to really make this worth the investment, but it still sounds like a great concept to me.
What do you guys think would be the pros and cons?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The couple of times I blended tobacco (totaling about 5 lbs) I put theverything baccy in mason jars. Pretty hard to beat a simple jar.
Plus the jars don't require extra space like the stuff canning would

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I know the jars are nice and easy, I'm not looking to make any transfers, just curious about tins. Slightly unnecessary things always interest me!

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
They have a cool factor for sure.

And you'll have less trouble shipping it over to other smokers.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I like that they're more durable than the glass, and possibly lighter too. Maybe you could even press a crumble cake right into the can before sealing!
Might be selling myself on the concept by accident. Good thing there's a move coming up, or I'd probably find a can sealer in the mailbox next week.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Maybe you could even press a crumble cake right into the can before sealing!
Maybe.
A real plug requires quite a lot of pressure, like 325psi. That's more than enough pressure to destroy a tin can. But just packing tightly into a can? That's what I do with Ball jars, using a caulk gun and I think that it has a lot of benefits, not the least of which is excluding a lot of oxygen from the jar.
I've thought about tinning tobacco, but I like to see what is in the container. Still, if you are putting up a lot of bulk, 8oz cans, packed tight will hold a half pound, weigh very little, never break and take up less room than glass.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
That's what I do with Ball jars, using a caulk gun and I think that it has a lot of benefits, not the least of which is excluding a lot of oxygen from the jar.
Clever! Hadn't thought to do this before. I generally don't compact my tobaccos in jars as I don't mind some air in the jar to help with aging. I have crammed in bulk of "the leftovers" simply to save space and may try this technique next time I have too much.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
A real plug requires quite a lot of pressure, like 325psi. That's more than enough pressure to destroy a tin can.
Hmmm...
Perhaps a custom steel cylinder with two halves latched together. It forms small cakes in the diameter of the intended tin, or one gigantic cake that fits perfectly along height and width of the tin.
Press the cake in a hydraulic press, then slip it into the tin!
So much metal, so many tools... Sounds like a terrifically fun way to package your home blends!

Status
Not open for further replies.