Home Made Vaper With Burley Recipe Required Please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I am looking to make myself a VaPer blend with Burley and wondered if anyone had tried making one themselves.
For my Virginia component I am looking to use either McClelland's 2017 Christmas Cheer or Sam Gawith's FVF. The Burley I will be using is Solani's Aged Burley Flake and the Perique is from McClelland.
Any suggestions for ratios of each component would be most helpful. I am initially looking to make a roughly 2oz mixture which I will put into a press for a week or so to encourage the different flavours to meld. Once done and tasted then hopefully I will be able to make fine adjustments to make it 'just right' for the second attempt.
Regards,
Jay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Blending with Aged Burley Flake might be a little tricky, because the burley flavor is fairly mild and it has its own casing and flavoring added to it. Still, it should make for a nice, darkly sweet VaPerBur with the Christmas Cheer or the FVF.
If I were using a more natural burley, like the ones from Cornell and Diehl (e.g. White Burley, Burley Ribbon or Burley Flake #2), I'd probably use about 5%. That would "season" the VaPer just enough to give it a nice body and dry, savory aspect to the overall flavor. If I were going for a more burley-forward taste, I might go as high as 20%. I've done both, by the way, to good effect. Burley, VA and Perique are fairly forgiving when blended together in different proportions. It's hard to go "wrong," it just depends on what suits you. Because the Aged Burley Flake is relatively mild, you might have to go with higher proportions to get similar effects -- the real question is how the ABF flavorings mix with your VAs and Perique.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I'm looking to do a Burley Cube Cut, Medium Virginia with a small amount of perique.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for your suggestions chaps. I shall start with Duane's ratios as that is pretty close to what I had in mind. Pitchfork, I appreciate ABF isn't the ideal blending Burley but it's all I have at present.
If this experiment proves successful then I might move onto proper blending components but for the time being I can only use what I have.
I also need to do something with my two tins of Dark Star and Blackwoods Flake which for me at least have very little taste. I'm thinking of a strongish VaPer for those.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"NOT ENOUGH LATAKIA"
Mike, I want to smoke it, not use it as insect repellent :nana:
I made my mixture tonight and it is now in the press. Hopefully I will be able to leave it alone for at least a fortnight.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tell us what proportions you used and how it smoked. I'd have smoked the Christmas cheer as all Virginia and used some 5100, but that's a different blend. With the pressure, you're into some real blending. I just mix a little, though sometimes the results are surprisingly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.