PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hey guys, I live in an area that grows and cures tobacco, actually I used to work on my uncles farm as a kid. I was thinking of knocking on some farmers doors who cure burley's and golden virginias and asking them if I can have a couple of cured leaves to try in my pipe and maybe to add to blends. Does this sound like a dumb idea? Can I use a coffee grinder to shred my leaves?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If you know one of them well enough to ask for a sample, I say go for it.
The coffee grinder will clog-up if the tobacco is too damp and pulverize it into flour if it's dry.
Case the leaf with just enough DI H2O to make it workable, roll it into a rope and then cut with scissors ... works great!
Also ... check out wholeleaftobacco.com for some tasty, uncased tobacco at great prices if you want larger quantities.
Good luck and let us know how it goes! :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, there's a lot more to it than what you wrote! Stuff out of the barn isn't cured to the standards of pipe tobacco that's nicely smokeable. I believe "cosmic" has written about his efforts, and there is a lot of info on this in the forum, but I don't have any links to give you.
Good luck!

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Go for it. The worse that can happen is he can point a double barrelled shotgun filled with rock salt at you and tell you to git the hell of his property. On the other hand you might walk away with some nice leaf.
If he has some still hanging in the barn it is most likely last year's crop which means it should be very smoke-able.
As for shredding without a shredder, use a pasta cutter if you have one. If not, take your tobacco, roll it up real tight like a cigar and then slice super thin coins off the end.

Get you a paper shredder that has never been used for paper.

Grabbing a burley hanging in the barn is going to suck. It'll taste like crap while burning like cardboard. The Virginia might be a bit better. It might still have quite a bit of ammonia in it, making it harsh tasting. But, if you like C&D Virginias, it might not taste too bad to you, ha ha.
My crop this year is swarming with Japanese beetles. They didn't even touch the tobacco last year, but this year, it must be extra sweet or something this year. The fragrance from the sun warmed leaf is fantastic this year. If I have anything left.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Hey Cosmic, Did you plant different varieties this year? The only time I had Japanese Beetles attack my tobacco was when I grew "Brown & Wiliiams Low Nic" tobacco. Get some Milky Spore and put it down in August. It is a natural "disease" that affects the larva. It's good for about 20 years.

It's all Virginia Gold. After I sprayed the orchard, they all moved to my Tobacco and devasted my chards and roses. I'll check out the milky spores. I had sprayed for grubs last Fall, but obviously what I used didn't work. And, those beetle traps just attract them in swarms. I do not recommend them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone bought some dry-cured burley from Haiti for me. The leaf is just rolled and tied in a knot and left to cure under shelter. It is not smooth, but it is smokeable. It's a long way from a professionally blended, cured, processed blend or single leaf. It isn't Semois. But it is not coarse, harsh, or eye-bulging. This can be done, but requires some patience, know-how, and experience, I'd guess. And no beetles. Closest comparable commercial item was Tambolaka from Indonesia, I'd say.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Good info thanks guys. When I get some this harvest I'll post my experience.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
When I get some this harvest I'll post my experience
If it is from this year's harvest it will be harsh as shit. You'll either have to wait a year or build a little kiln (easy to do) and process it for 4 weeks. One thing you can do is stop by mid summer (not sure your location) and ask the farmer if you can grow through his field and pick the lower, sun cured leaves. These are the lower leaves (usually called mud lugs) that will slowly dry up and die on the plant. They are always an excellent, smooth smoke.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
The leaves I will get will already be cured If thats what you mean, Why will they be harsh? And yeah i was gonna try to some some sand leaves and some tips..

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Yes they will be really harsh but smoke them as a learning experience. Smoke some freshly cured leaves, then try 6 months later, then 6 more months later. Time is tobacco's friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.