PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Just wondering how many of us on here actually do this at home. I'm sure quite a bit as drinks always pair well with pipe and/or cigars.
I'm just getting into the hobby of home brewing myself. I have a 5wk batch of Merlot that has 4wks to go, a batch of Hard Cider (made with Allen's Apple Juice and Cooper's Ale yeast) that is in it's settling/clarifying stage. And I also have a batch of Apfelwien brewing along in anoter pail. All my batches are 3 gallon as I'm using 4/75 gallon pails. I have never done anything like this before and I thought there was more to it but there itsn't it is SO simple to make great tasting drinks at home. This fall I will be starting a traditional wine (no yeast, just juice and sugar)from fresh grapes or fresh pressed unpasturized juice. Living close to Niagara Region I have the option of several different kinds of quality grapes and juices.
Of course a post on this forum rarely goes without a few questions attached to it :P

I'm just wondering if anyone on here does wine in the old fasioned way of fresh juice/grapes and what is involved with that aspect of wine making. There isn't alot of info on the net about traditional wine making that explains any troubleshooting or failure rate of doing it that way but there's enough to give someone 'the bug'. Basically I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on juice/grapes only to have it turn into vinegar.

So if anyone could school me, guide me or maybe hint at a few tricks and tips that would be great. I'm not one to delve into something and not follow through or not follow instructions. If I do something it's 100% or not at all so don't worry, any words and wisdom will not go to waste :)
Also any info about home brew grain beers would be awesome too! Being German background I love beer and wine and espically hard ciders and apfelwein.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Home brewing is definitely a passion for me. I brew beer and a little wine. I really don't know how you would use wild yeast to make wine.

Without a wine specific yeast you have to depend on any wild yeast in the air. Those yeast may not impart the flavor you are looking for.

I am sure it is possible but I am sure you will have to be very careful until fermentation starts that you don't get some sort of bacterial infection.

I might try a small batch to begin with and see where that goes, perhaps a gallon to start. I will sometimes split my batches into smaller sizes and play with the flavor profiles of each. This way if something goes wrong I am only losing a gallon as opposed to all five.
Cheers!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I've dabbled in home beer brewing but still consider myself a novice. Something to be said about enjoying a nice cold beer that you brewed yourself! I've only brewed pale ales so far. The first 5 gal. batch that I brewed my wife thought I'd lost my mind when she saw me staring at the glass carboy watching the brew beginning to ferment! It's a fun hobby but also a lot of work as you really have to be careful to keep everything clean and sanitized in order to not contaminate your brew.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I started brewing in the mid 1980's and kept at for over 10 years. By the time I stopped brewing, I was doing whole-grain 15 gallon batches, mostly Belgian-style, but some other favorites like ginger/spices and stouts/porters. I was culturing yeasts, keeping a yeast bank going, and growing hops. What a great hobby! It's a boat-load of technical/mechanical knowledge, combined with the more left-brained flavor/aroma/mouthfeel thing. A lot like blending tobacco, in a way.
But it was the combination of buying an old house and having a child that left no time for an all-day brewing process. Also, as I got older, I just couldn't/didn't like drinking that much beer. I'll still put away a few glasses of something rich and strange at the pipe club, but that's once or twice a month, not an every day thing, like I used to enjoy doing. I haven't even bought any beer for 6 months or so. What a wimp I've become!

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I work in a very busy and large volume sausage factory. Cleaning and sanitizing are no problem as it is routine with anything we do at work. Making the wine from the kit wasn't that hard. It took about 20min start to finish including cleanup. I've read and studied the instructions so I know the steps to take with this particular kit. I have just been craving natural, raw wine for almost two yrs now. I don't know anyone who makes it like that anymore but I know where to get juice and grapes :)
I was looking at fruit wines and sparkling wines as well (parent's request). I have my next kit picked out. A Riesling Ice Wine and a maybe a Sauv Blanc to add some variety to the 'cellar'. It's so easy it's dangerous to get carried away.. Kind of like pipes :puffy:

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
My parents were big home-brewers who made beer at least twice a year. From what I've seen beer is the hardest to make. Its a very complicated process that needs a lot of equipment. "The Brewmaster's Bible" is a good guidebook for the novice home-brewer if you're wanting to brew beer. My other experience with home-brew in a kit from Mr. Beer that was super cheap. It's not great but it's all you need to make hard cider. My roommate and I currently have a setup and we plan on upgrading it once we get a little more practice with the basics

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I've heard of that book and I'm currently devising a list of books I want to read or at least glance through for some additional information.

I'm looking at making small batches of beer (2.5 - 3 gallons) so I would be brewing more often and that allows me to make different batches without worrying about storeage or having beer go bad from not consuming it in time. I have all the basic equipment already (primary, seconday, syphon, hydrometer, airlocks and bungs, and one 3Gal carboy)

I use a bleach solution of 1/3c to 1 Gallon of water and all my equipment is triple rinsed before using.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Years ago I use to make raspberry wine - everyone loved it. Somehow the hobby got pushed away, but as I get closer to retirement (2 years) my interest is growing. My wife bought me several books on brewing and wine making for my birthday last year.
Riesling Ice Wine really appeals to me.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Ice Wines and Port wines appean to me too! LOL!
The kits are about $100 for 3 gallon of finished product. That's pretty damn good considering a basic bottle of Vidal or Riesling Ice Wine sells for about $20. It won't be exactly the same but it will give some satisfaction to a craving for the taste.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
About 38 years ago, my brother and I decided to make "Hard Cider". Our grampa told us to throw 3-5 raisins into a bottle of apple juice, put on a bubbler, and let it ferment.
When we were younger I didn't follow directions very well (my wife has since cured me of that) and we decided that if 3-5 were good, why not the whole snack box? What was suppose to be a 2-3 week fermention period turned into 3-4 months. A small juice glass knocked you on your keester.
Honey, where'd you put the raisins?????

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
my first batch of hard cider did throw in about half cup of raisins I chopped up and boiled in half cup of water. I have forgotten to mention I did add sugar to hard cider (1kg bag of brown sugar) and I added a 2kg bag of white sugar to the apfelwein and I used champagne yeast for that one. First batch is clearing nicely and second batch is starting to slow down on the bubbles. It has been a full week since I started the Merlot and apfelwein. I'ts been three wks since I started the hard cider. I must say, I have had hard cider and apfelwein (both homemade by friends) and I enjoy the apfelwein moreso than the cider. I followed the direction of my firends who make apfelwein to add sugar to get it up to 18-21% ABV to give it that authentic kick. The predicted ABV when I checked original gravity was 22.5% I will see in a few days when it stops bubbling and I pull a sample. I want some strong, flavourful wine to drink like I had when I was Germany. If it isn't I'm damn sure going to keep trying because the little tastes I've had over the last three wks from mine and past couple yrs of friends' batches has given me a serious itch for home brewing lol!

iliumneves

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
After about a seven year hiatus from brewing, I now have a stout in the works. Plan to push into secondary soon and add some cold brew coffee for a delicious (hopefully) coffee stout.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I think we've finally emptied enough of our homebrewed mead bottles to warrant brewing another batch - used to to beer more often, but it take us long enough to get through 5 gallons that we run the risk of having it go flat. Fortunately, mead just gets better with age... :D
And I've got some mesquite honey that's just crying out to be made into mead.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I haven't tried mead yet but I'm thinking about it. There's a few honey farmers around here so finding it isn't a problem. I want to do more research (and try some if possible) before I try it out. If I make it I'm worried I might run the risk of not liking it. But knowing me I probably will.
I just racked my Merlot into secondary today and had a little taste from what was in the hydrometer test tube and it was pretty good! Now I wait another 22 days and I can bottle it or rack it into another carboy for bulk ageing for up to 2mo. I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
I have been homebrewing seriously for about 7 years or so and I've fermented just about everything (don't ask).
Here is my 2 cents:
Tip for all newbies: Sanitization is everything. Be very anal about cleaning and sanitizing equipment.
Beer - takes the longest time/most effort to brew (especially whole grain)but quick turn around on the fermentation. Also, beer is VERY forgiving. Unless you have an infection while fermenting, you are probably going to get something very drinkable.

Wine - takes very little time to throw together but you have to wait much longer before you can drink

Cider - Delicious and so much better than commercial unless you are talking about ciders from Normandy, France. Try to source some pressed apple juice from an orchard (essentially wine) or do it yourself(a ton of work)

Mead - tricky because you have to feed the yeast more than any of the others I have listed. The way the honey tastes may not be what you end up with when you ferment out the sugar (esp. wildflower). When done well...amazing!
I have had the kids stomp on the grapes we grow to make old school wine before and it is a ton of fun but again a lot more work. Wine kits can make some very decent wine. Don't be afraid of them. The quality of nearly all the ingredients we have now is a huge leap from 20 years ago.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I work in a very busy sausage factory and cleaning and sanitizing is second nature with everything we do there. I've always been a neat freak so I don't think I will need to worry about infections or bad batches. I use supplies I purchased along side our cleaners at work (pink food grade soap and sanitizer we use on our machines/parts). Everything gets washed with the pink soap first then rinsed with HOT water (mine is about 130F) then I spray it with the sanitizer and rinse again with hot water. Wife and daughter say (it smells like a hospital when I'm washing my stuff)
Wine kits can make some very decent wine. Don't be afraid of them. The quality of nearly all the ingredients we have now is a huge leap from 20 years ago.
I've heard that line probably a dozen times or more in the last month or so and it's so true. I had first taste of my Merlot this morning before I put the last clarifying agent in (chitosan) and it tastes amazing! I remember one of my highschool girlfriend's mom used to make home made wine and it tasted like dust sometimes or watery fruity alcohol. Wasn't very tasty but it did the trick for a couple 15yo lol.
My first batch of 'hard cider' is in the fridge. I had a half gallon last night and it's pretty damn good I must say so myself. I used Cooper's Ale yeast and let it ferment 15d then stopped fermentation with K-Met. Cleared it with wine clarifyers (kielselsol and chitosan) then bottled into (washed and sanitized) plastic 1Gal jugs that previously had apple cider in them from a local farm. Speaking on such topic of fresh pressed juice, I have access to fresh pressed cider, but not juice. I want to make apfelwein from fresh cider rather than Allen's Apple Juice from No Frill's grocery store. I know the farmer very well (I hunt his land to help control the deer in and around the orchard) and I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with me sticking a couple 5Gal pails under the spout in exchange for a couple bottles of apfelwein or regular wine or half a days work on the farm. I shall see in the fall.
As for now, I'm letting my current two batches of apfelwein do their things for the next 5mo or so then they are going into 1Gal glass jugs to age until Oct(ish) before I bring them out to drink. In the mean time I will be making more apfelwein as my first batch turned out pretty good (for not knowing what I was doing) and I've tasted the difference between the two (ale yeast vs champagne yeast) and I much prefer the champagne yeast batch, it tastes so much like the apfelwein I had when I was in Germany (Possmans if I remember correctly) and I have been wanting a wine like that ever since asnd nothing compares to it here.
I'm thinking about doing beer but I want to get a better feel for it. I'm going to talk to the guys at the local HBS (Home Brew Store) and get more info as to what's involved with all grain brews and everything that goes along with it. The HBS is only three blocks from my house and they are super friendly and very cheap prices. They always have supplies in stock and have the best prices within a 50km radius of me so it's very convienent.
To give an idea of my cost to make apfelwein here's a little break down for someone thinking of getting into it: 12x 1L cans of Allen's Apple juice was $13. 1x 7g packet of Ale yeast was $1, a 3Gal glass carboy was $25. To buy a 6 x 344ml bottles of Grower's "hard apple' is about $14 at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). That's 2L (or half gallon) for about half the price I made 3Gal for. The wine kit of Merlot was $45 and it will make 15 x 750ml (25.36 Oz) bottles. A bottle of 2013 Merlot from the LCBO is about $14-18 depending on country of origin. It is hell of alot cheaper to make my own compared to buying it, and paying 30% tax on every bottle and it will only have ABV that's allowed by LCBO and government regulations. The ABV of my apfelwein is about 15- 20%, the hard cider is about 8% (only 5.5% at LCBO) and my Merlot is sitting about 17.5% (no more than 13% at LCBO). I'm not looking to get smashed or become a raging alcoholic I just want to save some money when I have guests over or want to have a bottle of wine one evening. Not having to drive somewhere to get it and pay top price for it is what drew me into the hobby of home brewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.