Home Bending Cigar Leaf--Use Wrapper or Filler?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Hey everyone, another blending question. For cigar leaf mixes, do you use the wrapper or the filler? Thanks for your help!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I use the Cigar Leaf sold by SP/PC. It works adequately. It is closer to the filler than the binder, as far as my limited knowledge of cigars goes.
Also remember to wear crepe-soled shoes when consorting with sheep. They can hear anything else.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm, good question. I thought that most of the domestic crop of cigar leaf was wrapper. To my surprise, Connecticut is a major wrapper leaf growing state. I don't know that filler is grown much in the U.S. I buy my cigar leaf from C&D, and I supposed that it was the Connecticut wrapper leaf. It has a good robust cigar-flavor, although in a pipe, cigar leaf is still pipe tobacco. These are two different smoking experiences, and I prefer pipes; the the occasional cigar is fine. Some educated tobacconist may post here to clarify my guesswork, I hope.

Wrappers and fillers are not specific "TYPES" of tobacco. They are just how the tobacco is used. The answer to the OP's question is lacking details, as in what type of leaf is the filler? A cigar can use Connecticut as any part of the cigar, or all parts. Some of my favorites use madura throughout the cigar. So, before you can know what you want to use, you will need to do some research on what the leafs are within the cigar. But, really, you might just try any and all combinations to see which YOU prefer.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I use Connecticut Broadleaf (Maduro). It's wrapper-grade but has cosmetic flaws, so it gets chopped into ribbons. I like it for three reasons - 1) the flavor isn't overly assertive but adds a nice earthiness; 2) it helps a slow-burning blend to stay lit; and, 3) it increases the volume of smoke.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Russ, I always learn something, and I appreciate the specificity here. A little cigar leaf is a lovely condiment added to the right mix. I always think of Cavendish and smoke volume, but now I'll also think of cigar leaf. Also, I didn't know it slowed the burn.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks for that info Russ. I enjoy learning from a pro.
I lived in Nicaragua for most of '08 and was planning a trip to a cigar making area to tour the 'factories' when the economy crashed and we were out of there in a matter of a few days. Didn't get to make that dreamed of trip. Sigh...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I occasionally acquire a 'heater' and usually chop it up, gradually, adding bits to blends as I see 'fit'.

I've used a few different kinds of 'sticks' in this manner to great enjoyment.

I don't imagine cigar leaf goes really well with aromatic mixtures.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Cosmic:
You are dead wrong. Wrapper and filler tobacco can be completely different. Sometimes from a different country. Cigar blenders use different tobaccos from sometimes different regions or countries to create a flavor profile for a cigar much like a tobacco blenders does for pipe tobacco.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The common lore among cigar smokers is that most of the cigar flavor comes from the wrapper. I would blend some wrapper in one batch and filler in another. We would be interested in hearing about the results.
Pax

Cosmic:
You are dead wrong. Wrapper and filler tobacco can be completely different. Sometimes from a different country. Cigar blenders use different tobaccos from sometimes different regions or countries to create a flavor profile for a cigar much like a tobacco blenders does for pipe tobacco.

Reread what I posted. I said that they could be different or all the same. That filler and wrapper is not a specific type. You've said exactly the same thing as me. Except, you probably said it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.