PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
if anyone's looking for the original Balkan Sobranie... apparently it's out there. ;-)
But you better come with a fat wallet 8O
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALKAN-SOBRANIE-1950s-ERA-FOUR-OUNCE-CUTTER-TOP-FULL-SEALED-TIN-PIPESTUD-/390384497549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae4bab38d#ht_997wt_1039
$(KGrHqJHJBYE7)zGs+Y+BPHiMfS1!Q~~60_3.JPG

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Nice - what a find! Can't imagine having to explain that purchase to my wife...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's at $89 an ounce! hahahahahaha That's nuts. 8O
But if you've got the cash to burn why not? It's just money.

Jul 12, 2011
I got about 1/4 of an oz gifted to me by a good friend, it was one of

a kind and I shall never forget the smoking experience it gave...but

paying the kind of coin they want for it...I can always find another love ;-)

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
i don't know if its just to expensive to smoke or if it would taste just that good?
And personally if i did have it i would be smoking it on my death bed and then request i be cremated and buried in it for sure. the definition of a true pipe smoker

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Lets say you get 10 bowls a OZ that's 10 dollars a bowl maybe its because I have smoked cigars for so long but 10$ for a hour or more of smoking pleasure really aint that bad the hard parts are these there is some really good tobacco for 1 to 2 dollars a ounce and the dropping of 400 dollars all at once.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Wow, very cool. If you have the coin, that's really not that bad. Life is short, enjoy it.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
With almost three days to go the price will only go up. Bid early and often they say. No news whatsoever on BS bringing this kind of price tag.
I'll tell you now if I ever see another 4 ounce tin of Cope's Escudo I will mortgage my house and sell my first born (hope her husband doesn't mind) to get the cash to acquire that.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I did some quick math.. stupid, but funny as heck at the same time.
A barrel of oil today is at $99. You'd get 3.6 barrels of crude or 150 gallons (that's almost 600 liters for you non-US people) for the current bidding price.

A barrel of oil gives roughly 20 gallons of gasoline. (The numbers vary wildly from 19 to 28, depending on type of crude, etc.. so let's keep it easy).
So, the current bidding price is about 70 gallons worth (or 280 liters of gas) of gasoline fuel. I know that's not the price at the pump ;-) The price at the pump today in Texas is actually closer to $3.3 / gallon, so it's a little over 100 gallons here in Texas. But it's cooler to do it with crude since the European gas prices are so much different.
4 Oz. of baccy.. 70 gallons of gasoline... but you can't put gasoline in your pipe ;-)
Anyways, just though I'd bore you to death with this..
PS: Silver is at $34 / ounce. Gold still over $1,700. So it's not quite up there with gold (yet)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I could never spend that kind of dough on a tin of tobacco, but I would love to have a bowl just to try it.

rock

Lurker
Nov 14, 2011
The can itself is what is so valuable, the tobacco is just a bonus if it still good.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
rock pal you are wrong sorry, this if from a dude that has smoke 85 year old tobacco and it was like no tobacco i have smoked before. i am sure that tin has some wonderful tobacco to be smoked and the tin will be the keepsake to remember it by

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Not for me . I often wonder if it was so darn good then why did it go out of production . I would still like a bowl if it was offered just to say I had smoked it . Sometimes people lament for things in thier past to me this is one of those things .

Status
Not open for further replies.