PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Charatan "Countryman" shape has been on my Holy Grail list for about four years. This one showed up on Ebay and despite the large size (102 grams!), I made a play for it. I have passed on large James Upshall and Northern Briar versions of this shape, holding out for a Charatan. We were in the MGB this afternoon when the auction ended, on the way to a remote Maryland winery. My cell signal was going in and out and I was worried the location, where we would arrive minutes after the auction ended, wouldn't offer a internet connection. I pulled over a minute before it ended, popped in my max bid and drove off. I found out later that it was enough.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not certain on the date. Dating Charatan's has always been tricky for me. Pipepedia lists:
The CP till the 1960 is very fine, the C penetrates the P.

From 1961 to 1977 the CP logo is more pronounced and the C penetrates the P.

It could be from the First Lane Era 61-65, not all pipes had the L stamp on the briar.
This pipe has no DC stem (rare for later years) and but no L which was absent in the Duhill era. The stamping seems to suggest the first Dunill era (77-81).
Thoughts or comments?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Glouchesterman, I don't know about beauty but "odddly hot" perhaps....
This Al Pascia Charatan history seems to suggest what they call the "Third period: Lane prior to Ben Wade closure c.1962 – 1965" - The Charatan's Make/London England is on two lines (three in later periods).
http://www.alpascia.com/moments/d/Charatan-Pipes-i28211.html

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Very nice, Congrats!! Next time you are in the Winchester, VA area check with Matt Hayes. He always seems to be able to come up with dates on Charatan's.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Lol I've had this dilemma before with internet service and listings ending at that moment. Looks like this one was meant for you though. It's a great looking pipe and that found a good home. Glad you won it! I hope you can report back when it arrives.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is a striking pipe. I am not sure the stem styles say as much about dating as is commonly believed. Lane era Charatan's pipes had double comfort, saddle, and taper stems.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
The Ebay bid and run. Been there done that. So cool when you win. To find a prize after four years and win it, priceless. Good for you.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
on my ... list for four years...

That is a patient hunting man.

And this is a rare giant pipe, looking well-seasoned around and gentlemanly on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.